Volume 13, Number 2 (2014). Special Issue
Value, Transvaluation and Globalization.
Guest Editors: Steffen Dalsgaard and Ton Otto.
- Steffen Dalsgaard and Ton Otto. "Editorial: Value, Transvaluation and Globalization."
- Lise Garond. "The Meaningful Difference of 'Aboriginal Dysfunction' and the Neoliberal 'Mainstream'."
- Josephine Pryce. "Work Values: A Formidable Domain within the Context of People's Lives."
- Corinne Fortier. "Inscribing Trans and Intersex People in the Dominant Binary Categories of Gender."
- Jessica De Largy Healy and Barbara Glowczewski. "Indigenous and Transnational Values in Oceania: Heritage Reappropriation, From Museums to The World Wide Web."
- Bard Aaberge, Trish Barnard, Shelley Greer and Rosita Henry. "Designs on the Future: Aboriginal Painted Shields and Baskets of Tropical North Queensland, Australia."
- Geraldine Le Roux. "Entangled Values: Construction of A Global Conception of Australian Indigenous Arts."
- Notes on Contributors.
Volume 13, Number 1 (2014). Special Issue
Refereed Proceedings of the Sustainable International Leadership in Indigenous Research Conference: Pathways, Potential and Practice,
9-10 July 2013, The Cairns Institute, James Cook University.
Guest Editors: Felecia Watkin Lui and Valda Wallace, James Cook University.
- Felecia Watkin Lui and Valda Wallace. "Editors' Preface."
- Linda Waimarie Nikora. "Dreaming Ourselves and Aspirations into Places of Higher Education." Keynote Address.
- Heron Loban. "A Turtle's Journey: Strengthening Indigenous Research Capacity through Mentoring."
- Heron Loban, Susan Ciccotosto, Josephine Pryce, & Taha Chaiechi. "Indigenous People and Research Collaboration: A Journey Across Cultural and Disciplinary Bounds."
- Shaneen Fantin & GudjuGudju Fourmile. "Wabu Gadun Bulmba Gurriny Mukanji Centre: A Case Study of Intercultural Design Practice."
- Nalisa Neuendorf. "A 'PNG' Study into Racial Difference in Contemporary Service Delivery Practices."
- Philemon Chigeza & Hilary Whitehouse . "Incorporating Indigenous Students' Cultural Knowledge More Productively in Mathematics and Science Classrooms: One Focus for Pre-Service Teacher Education Research and Practice."
- Noela McNamara. "Literature: A Step in the Right Direction."
- Notes on Contributors.
Volume 12, Number 2 (2013) Special Issue
Refereed Proceedings of the Tropics of the Imagination Conference,
4-5 July 2013, The Cairns Institute, James Cook University.
- Editor's Note
- Carole Ferrier. "Jean Devanny's Fictional Critique of Whiteness and Race Relations in North Queensland." Keynote Address.
- Deborah Jordan and Louise Poland. "Star Making: A Publishing History of Thea Astley."
- Angela Meyer and Stephen Naylor. "The Paradise Problem: Painted Experience."
- Barbara M Cheshire. "Landscape as Experience: An Integration of Senses and Soul."
- Ryan Daniel. "Creativity and Creative Industries in Cairns: Views from the Field."
- Crystal Williams. "Career Development and Contemporary Visual Artists: An Investigation of Cairns Australia."
- Paul Carter. "Tropical Knowledge: Archipelago Consciousness and the Governance of Excess." Keynote Address.
- Hurriyet Babacan and Alperhan Babacan. "Migration, Continuity and Creativity in the Tropics."
- Sally Pryor. "Tropicality and Creative Practice: Temperature, Temperament and Temporality."
- Narayan Gopalkrishnan. "Multicultural Arts and Integrative Medicine: Empowering Refugees in the Healing process."
- Tzemin Chung, Neil Anderson, Munkew Leong & Waiyin Choy. "Scaffolding Singaporean Students to Write Vividly in the 'Mother Tongue', Mandarin."
- Barbara Creed. "Apes and Elephants: In Search of Sensation in the Tropical Imaginary." Keynote Address.
- Amy Forbes. "Tropical Imaginings and Romantic Nostalgia: 75 Years of Giliw Ko and the Colonial Gaze."
- Craig Middleton. "The Use of Cinematic Devices to Portray Mental Illness."
- Robert Johnstone. "Creating a Coral Symphony: Sound Art and Sonification."
- Annie Mitchell. "Paronella Park: Music, Migration and the 'Tropical Exotic'."
- Peter Pierce. "Literature of the Pacific, Mainly Australian." Keynote Address.
- Richard Lansdown. "'Natural Chronometers': Coral Islands and the Discovery of Time, from Buffon to Darwin."
- Noela McNamara. "The Literary Transformation of Memory Across Generations."
- Hazel Menehira "A Teacher, a Totem, and a True Tropical Story: A Reading."
- Stephen Torre. "Tropical Island Imaginary."
- Notes on Contributors.
Volume 12, Number 1 (2013) Special Issue
TransOceanik: Academic Research & Public Domains
Guest Editor: Anita Lundberg, James Cook University, Singapore Campus
- Anita Lundberg. "TransOceanik Links: Research Networks and the Space-Place of Colloquia."
- K. Thirumaran. "Interpretations of the Hidden."
- Carine Davias. "Cultural Heritage and Identity in the Literature of Australian South Sea Islanders and Other Media."
- Susan Ciccotosto ,Josephine Pryce, Taha Chaiechi, John Hamilton, and Heron Loban. "Focusing on People, Communities and Commerce: Interdisciplinary Research as a Multiple Lens."
- Hurriyet Babacan and Alperhan Babacan. "Difficult Research Conversations: Sharing Socially Sensitive Research in the Public Domain."
- Tania Honey and Rhian Morgan. "Technology and Community: The Changing Face of Identity."
- Mary Laughren. "From Linguistic Research Findings to Useful Products for Australian Aboriginal Communities."
- Rhian Morgan. "Ethnography on the Cyberian Frontier."
- Notes on Contributors.
Volume 10 (2011)
Refereed Proceedings of the Second Tropics of the Imagination Conference, James Cook University Cairns, 31st October - 1st November 2011
- Keynote Address: Nicolas Rothwell. "QUICKSILVER: Reflections."
- Hurriyet Babacan. "'Multi Is My Culture': Critical Reflections on Multicultural Arts in Tropical Australia."
- Deborah Jordan. "Heeding the Warnings: 'Sucking up the seas' in Vance Palmer's Cyclone."
- Jessica Gildersleeve. "Jean Rhys's Tropographies: Unmappable Identity and the Tropical Landscape in Wide Sargasso Sea and Selected Short Fiction."
- Sathyabhama Daly & Stephen Torre. "Ecosublimity in Lloyd Jones's Mister Pip."
- Hazel Menehira. "Spiritual Poetry in the Tropics: A Reading."
- Susan Hawthorne. "Of Cyclones and Bovines: Living in the Torrid Zone."
- Jillian Thiele & David Thiele. "Colonial Voice Reinterpreted: A Reader's Theatre Presentation."
- Adam Brown. "Barefoot in the Overlay: The Perfect Digital City and the Ruins of Public Space."
- Katja Fleischmann. "Lettering and Signage in the Urban Environment of North Queensland's Capital: Tropical Flair or Univernacular?"
- David Salisbury. "Sweet Crush: A Multimedia Virtual Heritage Portrait of the North Queensland Sugar Industry."
- Coral Neave. "Finding a Voice and a Place in the Contemporary Indigenous Art World."
- Dr Robyn Glade-Wright. "A Fragile Life: Vulnerable Species in the Torrid Zone."
- Tamara Brooks & Reesa Sorin. "'All the places I've been to [in the tropics] are not really a special place': Investigating Children's Place Attachments through Collage and Stories."
- Barbara Creed. "Tropical Malady: Film & the Question of the Uncanny Human-Animal."
- Chris Mann. "Indigenous or Exotic? Trees in Australian Cinema."
- Jessica Balanzategui. "The Receptacle for all that is Monstrous and Vile: The Island Asylum in Scorsese's Shutter Island."
- Allison Craven. "Parables of Pacific Shores: Locations, Caves and Coastal Masculinities in Cast Away and Sanctum."
- Notes on Contributors
Volume 9 (2010)
Refereed Proceedings of the Inaugural Tropics of the Imagination Conference, James Cook University Cairns, 2-3 November 2009
- Linda Ashton. “Public Art in the Tropics Education Conduit ~ Community Catalyst.”
- Karen Berger. “The White Darkness: Confluences in the Imaginative Explorations of Identity and ‘the Other’ in the Work of Three Jewish Woman Artists in the Tropics - Maya Deren (1917 - 1961) in Haiti, Clarice Lispector (1920 - 1977) in Brazil, and Hélène Cixous (1937 - ) in Algeria.”
- Allison Craven and Chris Mann. “The Girl with the Bush Knife: Women, Adventure and the Tropics in Age of Consent and Nim’s Island.”
- Sylvia Kelso. “The Cretaceous Border: Writing Non-Realist Fiction in North Queensland.”
- Angela Myer. “Tropical Paradise: Its Light and Its Shadows.” Powerpoint Presentation.
- Stephen Naylor. “The Ethos of ‘the Queenslander’: A Journey into the Art of Building in North Queensland.”
- Anne Schwarz. “Discourse Principles in Grammar: The Thetic/Categorical Dichotomy.”
- Reesa Sorin and Iain James Gordon. “Frogs in the Drain — Children’s Perceptions of the Tropical Landscape.”
- Jacqueline Stockdale. “‘I Dreamed of Snow Today’: Impediments to Settler Belonging in Northern Queensland as Depicted in a Selection of Recent Fiction.”
- Cheryl Taylor. “Tropical Flowers: Romancing the North in Early Female Fiction and Poetry.” Powerpoint Presentation.
- Timothy Bottoms. “Defending the North: Frontline Cairns (1940-1946) – An Historical Overview.”
- Brigitta Flick, Nerina Caltabiano, and Joan Bentrupperbäumer. “The Impact of Attitudes on Streamside Forest Management Practice by Landowners in Far North Queensland.”
- Allison Craven. "Tropical Gothic: Radiance Revisited."
- Glenn Ross. "Heritage Lost or Fortune Found: Issues and Dilemmas Concerning Tourist Development within Local Communities."
- Stephen Torre. “Literary Representations of the Great Barrier Reef.”
- Nicolas Rothwell. "2007 Colin Roderick Lecture."
- Nicolas Rothwell. "Thea Astley Lecture 2007, Byron Bay Festival."
- Glenn Ross. "Heritage Lost or Fortune Found: Issues and Dilemmas concerning Tourist Development within Local Communities."
- Reesa Sorin. "Non-Situated Learning and the Arts."
- Evelyn Lewiston. "Discussions with an Artist: Andres Caycedo ("The New Bohemians"--Art, Politics and Place)
- Lesley Paine and Marie Caltabiano. "The Effects of a Skin Cancer Educational Intervention on Beliefs, Knowledge and Beahviours of Outdoor Workers in the Tropics."
- Sylvia Kelso. "Geeks and Battlers: Intersections of Generic Specificity and National Narrative in Writing Australian Science Ficiton."
- Peter Pierce. "Tropic Days: Literature and Art of North Queensland."
- Jan Lahney. "The Australian Sugar Museum." Posted 2 Feb 2004.
- Cheryl Taylor. "Romantic Pioneering in the Tropics: Archibald Meston's Home Life in Cairns, 1882-1888."
- Dawn May. "Multiculturalism in the Australian Tropics."
- Nerina Caltabiano."'In Defence of the Dingo."
- Sathyabhama Daly. "The Metaphor of Quests, Labyrinths and the Dance of Kali in Christopher Koch's The Year of Living Dangerously."
- Ndaeyo Uko. "History and the Press: A Case Study of Australia and Nigeria."
- Nerina Caltabiano and Stephen Torre. "Cultural Symbolism in an Italo-Australian Religious Festa."