JCU Competitive Research Scholarships
Application Opening and Closing Dates
Prospective applicants should note the closing dates for submission of Scholarship applications:
- Round 1: Applications for Round 1 close at midnight, 31st August AEST.
- Round 2: Applications for Round 2close at midnight, 31st October AEST.
All competitive JCU scholarship applicants must ensure they have:
Consulted the Scoring Scheme and Process for 2016 Competitive JCU Scholarships to check their eligibility and competitiveness
Prepared all the documentation that will be required for uploading electronically, including:
Copies of all testamurs and transcripts (translated into English if required) and the grading scheme for the University and Degree;
Copies of HERDC eligible publications;
Proof of English Language Proficiency at Band 3a level;
The Professional Experience form if you wish professional experience to be considered;
- Proof of any relevant prizes or awards you have received; and
AIMS@JCU form if applying for an AIMS@JCU scholarship
English Language Requirements must be satisfied by the scholarship deadline. Scholarship applications which do not meet the English Language Requirements (Band 3a) by the required date will not be considered. Exceptions are not normally granted.
Any qualification used to support a scholarship application, such as a Bachelor Honours degree or Research Masters degree must have been completed and awarded, with all grades finalised, and evidence should be provided to the Graduate Research School by no later than 5:00pm, 21st January 2016 AEST. Applicants who have not finalised their qualification by the required date will normally not be considered in the scholarship application process.
Manuscripts or papers which do not meet the HERDC (Higher Education Research Data Collection) eligibility criteria or which have not been accepted for publication will not be considered in the assessment of a scholarship application. Any publication that is used to support a scholarship application must be in print or accepted for publication by the scholarship deadline.
How to Apply
Applications for competitive JCU scholarships are online only and must be submitted using eStudent (refer 'My Scholarships' tab).
Prospective JCU Higher Degree by Research (HDR) candidates must first have submitted their online application for candidature (i.e. entry to a JCU HDR program). For further information about the candidature application process, visit the GRS How to Apply webpage.
Existing JCU HDR candidates are able to apply directly via eStudent.
Scholarship Types and Conditions
Scholarship applicants are encouraged to read the Australian Government's advice, guidelines, conditions and stipend information relating to Australian Postgraduate Awards (APAs). Visit the Australian Government Department of Education website for further information.
James Cook University offers three types of competitive scholarship:
An Australian Postgraduate Award (APA), for domestic applicants only;
A JCU Postgraduate Research Scholarship (JCU PRS), for both domestic and international applicants; and
An International Postgraduate Research Scholarship, or (IPRS), for international applicants only. Four (4) IPRS awards are granted each year on a highly competitive basis. Applicants who apply for an IPRS but are not awarded are immediately considered for a JCU PRS.
Further information about each type of scholarship is provided further below.
Academic Referee's Report - Fillable PDF
Academic Referee's Report - Online Form
Professional Experience Form - Fillable PDF
- AIMS@JCU Scholarship Application Cover Sheet
Student Services and Administration (SSA) Fee
JCU competitive scholarships do not cover the University's Student Services & Amenities Fee, which applies to both domestic and international HDR candidates. For further information, please visit the SSA Fee webpage.
2016 Scholarship Offer and Acceptance Packs
Offer and Acceptance Packs for prospective scholarship recipients who have received advice regarding their successful scholarship application are available for download in PDF folio format below. Right-click on the relevant hyperlink to download and save to your computer or drive:
Other (Non-JCU) Competitive Scholarships
Prospective international and domestic applicants can apply for non-JCU competitive scholarships at any time, according to the terms and conditions of the scholarship or grant program. On the award of a scholarship from the funding body, the applicant should apply to undertake a research higher degree candidature at JCU. Enquiries relating to the award of external scholarships and candidature application and enrolment should be forwarded to GRS@jcu.edu.au.
Below is a list of scholarship opportunities currently available. JCU staff and students are encouraged to use Research Professional, the preferred system used by the JCU research community to search for funding opportunities and funding related news. Each student and employee can have access to an account that is automatically assigned to a default division, college or discipline from where they can share funding searches specific to their field. Further further information, contact the JCU Research Services team.
- See also the JCU Scholarships, Bursaries and Grants webpage
- NEW >> Australian Rotary Health PhD Scholarship Opportunities
- NEW >> PhD Scholarships - Australian Institute of Tropical Health and Medicine (AITHM)
- NEW >> PhD Scholarship in Transgenerational Effects of Climate Change in Reef Fishes
- NEW >> Advance Queensland Knowledge Transfer Partnerships Program
- NEW >> Advance Queensland Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander PhD Scholarships
- NEW >> Advance Queensland PhD Top-Up Scholarships
- NEW >> NHMRC PhD/Masters by Research Scholarship for Traumatic Brain Injury Research
- NEW >> W.C. Lacy Scholarship for PhD Research in Earth Sciences
- AIMS@JCU Scholarships for Research Higher Degrees
- AITHM Postgraduate Scholarships
- Alzheimer's Australia Dementia Research Grants Program
- Australian Government Scholarship and Funding Programs
- The Australian Lions Foundation for Scientific and Medical Research on Marine Species Dangerous to Humans Grant
- Australian Psychological Society HDR Bursaries - 2015 Bendi Lango Initiative
- Australian Rotary Health PhD Scholarships
- AW Howard Memorial Trust Pasture Research Grants
- Fulbright Scholarships for Study/Research in the United States
- JCU Vascular Biology Unit Combination Scholarships
- Native Title Research Scholarships Program
- PhD Scholarship(s) - JCU Cyclone Testing Station
- PhD Scholarship - Palaeoenvironmental Reconstruction
- Rotarians Against Malaria - PhD Scholarship in Vector-Borne Disease
- Tim Healey Memorial Scholarship Pasture and Farming Scholarships for HDR Candidates
- Wenthworth Group Science Program Scholarships (Non-Stipend)
- Wet Tropics Management Authority Student Research Grants
- Write-Up Funding - Elite Editing Thesis Write-Up Scholarships