Opening and Closing Dates for JCU Scholarship Applications
Applications for competitive JCU scholarships (Australian Postgraduate Award, JCU Postgraduate Research Scholarship, or International Postgraduate Research Scholarship) are now open (see below for application information). Prospective applicants should note the closing dates for submission of Scholarship applications:
International Applicants: Applications for competitive JCU scholarships for studies commencing in 2015 will close at 5:00pm, 31st August 2014 AEST. Enquiries from prospective international applicants should be forwarded to GRS@jcu.edu.au.
- Domestic Applicants (Australian and New Zealand residents): Applications for competitive JCU scholarships for studies commencing in 2015 will close at 5:00pm, 31st October 2014 AEST. Enquiries from prospective domestic applicants should be forwarded to GRS@jcu.edu.au.
Applying for a JCU Competitive Scholarship
All competitive JCU scholarship applicants must ensure they have:
1.Used the Scoring Scheme and Procedure for JCU HDR Competitive Scholarships (link) to check their eligibility and competitiveness and determine if they wish to be scored on their Academic Performance (GPA) or Professional Experience.
2.Prepared all the documentation that will be required for uploading electronically including:
I.copies of all testamurs and transcripts (translated into English if required) and the grading scheme for the University and Degree;
II.copies of peer-reviewed publications (if manuscript(s) have been accepted for publication, provide evidence of this as provided by the publisher);
III.proof of English Language Proficiency at Band 3a level
IV.the Professional Experience form if you are choosing to be scored on Professional Experience
V.Examiners’ reports, if your entry qualification included a thesis or dissertation that was examined
VI.Proof of any relevant prizes or awards you have received
VII.AIMS@JCU form if applying for an AIMS@JCU scholarship
How to Apply:
Applications for competitive JCU scholarships are online only and must be submitted using eStudent (refer 'My Scholarships' tab).
Prospective JCU Higher Degree by Research (HDR) candidates must first have submitted their online application for candidature (i.e. entry to a JCU HDR program). For further information about the candidature application process, visit the GRS How to Apply webpage.
Existing JCU HDR candidates are able to apply directly via eStudent.
Scholarship applicants are encouraged to read the Australian Government's advice, guidelines, conditions and stipend information relating to Australian Postgraduate Awards (APAs). Visit the Australian Government Department of Education website for further information.
James Cook University offers three types of competitive scholarship:
An Australian Postgraduate Award (APA), for domestic applicants only;
A JCU Postgraduate Research Scholarship (JCU PRS), for both domestic and international applicants; and
An International Postgraduate Research Scholarship, or (IPRS), for international applicants only. Four (4) IPRS awards are granted each year on a highly competitive basis. Applicants who apply for an IPRS but are not awarded are immediately considered for a JCU PRS.
Further information about each type of scholarship is provided further below.
Important Scholarship Information
- Scoring Scheme and Procedure for JCU HDR Competitive Scholarships (for commencement in 2015)
- Australian Postgraduate Awards (APAs) and JCU Postgraduate Research Scholarships (JCU PRS)
- International Postgraduate Research Scholarships (IPRS)
- Scholarship Application Checklist and Closing Dates
- Tax Exemption for Scholarship Holders
- Academic Referee's Report Form (PDF) for Applicants:
- Academic Referee's Report Form (online e-form):
- Professional Experience Form (PDF):
- AIMS@JCU Form (docx):
Scholarship Offer and Acceptance Packs
Offer and AcceptancePacks for prospective students who have received advice regarding theirsuccessful scholarship application are available for download in PDFfolio format below. Right-click on the relevant hyperlink to downloadand save to your computer or drive:
Student Services and Administration (SSA Fee)
JCU competitivescholarships do not cover the University's Student Services andAdministration (SSA) Fee, which applies to both domestic andinternational Research Higher Degree candidates. For furtherinformation, visit the SSA Fee webpage: http://www.jcu.edu.au/student/feessupport/JCU_115149.html
Applications for Other Competitive Scholarships
Prospective international and domestic applicants can apply for non-JCU competitive scholarships at any time, according to the terms and conditions of the scholarship or grant program. On the award of a scholarship from the funding body, the applicant should apply to undertake a research higher degree candidature at JCU. Enquiries relating to the award of external scholarships and candidature application and enrolment should be forwarded to GRS@jcu.edu.au.
Other Scholarship and Funding Opportunities
The GRS will list known scholarship opportunities below to assist prospective and enrolled students.Scholarship seekers are also encouraged to utilise JASON, the Joint Academic Scholarship Online Network.To advertise a scholarship, contact the Graduate Research School.
In addition to JASON and the following list of opportunities, JCU staff and students are encouraged to use Research Professional, the preferred system used by the JCU research community to search for funding opportunities and funding related news. Each student and employee can have access to an account that is automatically assigned to a default faculty, school or discipline from where they can share funding searches specific to their field. Further further information, contact the JCU Research Services team.
- See also the JCU Scholarships, Bursaries and Grants webpage
- PhD Scholarship - Mental Health
- PhD Scholarship - Mental Health in Mining Workers
- PhD Scholarship(s) - JCU Cyclone Testing Station
- PhD Scholarship - Broadnose Sevengill Shark
- Australian Postgraduate Award (Industry) PhD Scholarship - Barramundi Genetics
- Fulbright Scholarships for Study/Research in the United States
- Alzheimer's Australia Dementia Research Grants Program
- Native Title Research Scholarships Program
- AIMS@JCU Scholarships for Research Higher Degrees
- Australian Rotary Health PhD Scholarships
- JCU Vascular Biology Unit Combination Scholarships
- Australian Government Scholarship and Funding Programs
- Write-Up Funding - Elite Editing Thesis Write-Up Scholarships