The Research Strengths of JCU align with the University Plan. Our goal is to position ourselves as a leader in teaching and research, addressing the critical challenges facing the tropical worldwide. To support this, we are striving to align our teaching and research to four major themes:
- Tropical Ecosystems, conservation and climate change;
- Industries and Economic in the tropics;
- Peoples and Societies in the tropics; and
- Tropical health medicine and biosecurity
Major Research Strengths within James Cook University include Earth Sciences, Marine Science, Tropical Biology and Conservation, Genomics, Biotechnology and Biomolecular Science.
The School of Marine and Tropical Biology has a major focus on biology, marine science and conservation. The School of Earth and Environmental Science manages earth sciences and also has a strong profile in marine science. Many schools (including the former and the School of Pharmacy and Molecular Science) have research programs in genetics and molecular sciences.
- Marine Science is multi-school and inter-faculty research strength.
- Tropical Biology and Conservation brings together JCU research on the biology and sustainable use of tropical organisms and ecosystems.
Also see our Research Centres:
- ARC Centre of Excellence for Coral Reef Studies
- Centre for Sustainable Tropical Fisheries and Aquaculture
- Centre for Tropical Biodiversity & Climate Change (CTBCC)
- Centre for Tropical Environmental & Sustainability Science (TESS)
- Centre for Tropical Water & Aquatic Ecosystem Research (TropWATER)