Changes to car parking on the Cairns campus
Changes to parking on the Cairns campus
JCU has announced changes to parking arrangements at its Cairns campus that will be implemented in first semester 2018.
The current system has been in place for many years and the feedback has been that the scheme is not equitable. Complaints have centred around permit-only spaces remaining empty and that there are not enough ‘free’ spaces for those who don’t purchase a parking permit or arrive early enough to secure a park. Further, if a permit is purchased a parking space is not guaranteed during periods of high demand.
The basis of the new system is that car park users will be required to pay to use the facilities for the time that they are on campus. The use of an app-based system will allow users to start and stop parking sessions via their smartphone. Internet and telephone options will be available for those without smart phones. In recognition of the amount of time spent on campus, staff will have the option of using the app or purchasing an annual or half yearly permit. Revenue from parking will be directed back towards improving transport options including enhancing lighting, developing further car parks, and constructing end-of-ride facilities.
Features of the scheme include:-
- Students will be charged 25 cents per hour for parking with a maximum of $1 per session. For example, if a student is only on campus for six hours the charge will be one dollar.
- All day parking will be available with several areas allocated as a four hour maximum. This will enable users to move in and out of these areas quickly.
- New signage will identify available bays in car parks. This information will be available on the website and on a mobile app allowing students and staff to check the availability of parking spaces before leaving home.
- A further 120 bays will be constructed on the Cairns campus with the majority completed for Semester 1.
- A small number of bays will be ‘premium parking’ with stays of less than thirty minutes free. These bays will attract a fee of $1 per hour if longer stays are required. These bays are to provide quick and easy access for those with short term business at the University.
- Staff will be able to purchase an annual or semester permit as is currently the case. The price of the annual permit will be $100 in 2018.
- The scheme will operate between the hours of 8am and 5pm Monday to Friday. Parking after these hours and on weekends will be free.
The University is committed to achieving a fair and equitable parking system that best meets the needs of users and will consider all feedback offered.
If you wish to provide feedback please respond to firstname.lastname@example.org.