@JCU VALE Lady Florence (Pearl) Logan
VALE Lady Florence (Pearl) Logan
It is with deep regret that we advise that Lady Florence (Pearl) Logan MBE passed away on 19 April 2016. Lady Logan was a devoted and tireless worker for improved rural education, devoting over 50 years of her life to this cause. As a long-time resident on Richmond Downs, a large sheep and cattle station in the Richmond Shire that she ran with her husband Sir Douglas Logan, Lady Logan understood the critical importance of educational opportunities to rural children and their parents, and worked tirelessly to ensure that young people in rural areas were able to nurture their talents and pursue their dreams.
In recognition of her contribution, JCU awarded Lady Logan an Honorary Doctorate of Letters in 2001. In 2008 the University also established the Pearl Logan Chair in Rural Education on the Cairns campus. The Rural Education Research and Development Trust, of which Lady Logan was a driving force, provided more than $900,000 to fund the Chair in its first five years.
In 1959 Lady Logan was involved in starting up the original ‘School of the Air’ in Cloncurry. She was instrumental in the establishment of James Cook University in Townsville and again in the establishment of JCU’s Medical School. She also served on the University’s Council and on the Advisory Committee for JCU’s Rural Education Research and Development Centre.
A letter of condolence has been sent to Lady Logan’s family, on behalf of students and staff.