About JCU Who we are
Who we are
- Future Students
- Current Students
- Research and Teaching
- Partners and Community
- About JCU
- Celebrating 50 Years
- Advanced Analytical Centre
- Applying to JCU
- Australian Lions Stinger Research
- Australian Tropical Herbarium
- Association of Australian University Secretaries
- Careers and Employability
- Australian Quantum & Classical Transport Physics Group
- Centre for International Trade and Business in Asia
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- College of Science and Engineering
- COVID-19 Advice
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- Economic Geology Research Centre
- Graduate Research School
- Indigenous Education and Research Centre
- IT Services
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- JCU Global Experience
- JCU Halls of Residence
- Language and Culture Research Centre
- Marine Geophysics Laboratory
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- Planning and Performance
- Planning for your future
- Professional Experience Placement
- Rapid Assessment Unit
- JCU Connect
- Safety and Wellbeing
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Study Now
- Student Equity and Wellbeing
- VAVS Home
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
JCU is a world-class university ranked in the top two per cent of tertiary institutions in the world. JCU develops graduates who have the knowledge, skills and experience to succeed and thrive in a global workforce.
Home to over 22,000 students, JCU offers internationally-renowned teaching and research excellence that makes a difference. We boast an impressive calibre of teaching and research staff who are passionate about passing their expertise on to the next generation.
Our career-focussed courses are designed to prepare graduates for the workforce by experiencing real-life scenarios while learning from leading industry professionals. JCU students graduate job-ready, equipped with the practical skills and confidence required to face the challenges of the future.
State-of-the-art teaching and research facilities
JCU campuses are equipped with state-of-the-art facilities and equipment to allow optimal learning experiences. Our cutting-edge lecture theatres and our small tutorial sizes are designed to encourage collaborative learning and problem-solving. JCU’s external study options offer flexibility for students who want to complete courses at their own pace or from a distance.
JCU is continually making ground-breaking advances in research through our award-winning research centres and institutes. These include:
- The Science Place, our stunning teaching and research facility that was awarded a prestigious LEED Gold rating for its environmentally sustainable design
- The Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine (AITHM)
- JCU’s Dentistry teaching facilities and dental clinic
- The Australian Tropical Science and Innovation Precinct.
JCU also offers access to learning and study spaces equipped with the latest technology, comprehensive libraries both on-campus and online, and multiple sporting facilities.
Hands-on learning in some of the most interesting locations on Earth
Nothing beats hands-on learning, which is why JCU provides as many opportunities for professional work experience as possible.
JCU’s unique campus locations means that students can complete practical experience in some of the most interesting places on Earth. Our Cairns and Townsville campuses are surrounded by the spectacular ecosystems of the wet tropics, the savannahs and the Great Barrier Reef.
Students can undertake professional placements in regional, rural and remote areas, or even overseas. There is also the opportunity to complete a placement or research project at one of JCU’s field stations. These include:
- Fletcherview Research Station - a working cattle station in the iconic Queensland outback
- Orpheus Island – a secluded island on the Great Barrier Reef that is home to the most diverse and beautiful marine, estuarine and terrestrial ecosystems in the world
- Daintree Rainforest Observatory, where students can explore the World Heritage listed Daintree Forest, the largest continuous area of tropical rainforest in Australia.
JCU aims to equip and enable students to achieve their greatest potential. Our graduates are continuously championing their fields of work to create a brighter future.