Brief history of JCU

About JCU History Brief history of JCU

 

1957

Professor J.D Story, Vice Chancellor of the University of Queensland proposes a regional university college be established.

11 October

1958

University of Queensland Senate recommends a regional university be established.

12 October

1958

The Hon Jack Pizzey, Queensland Minister for Education, announces in Cairns that the Queensland government will open a University College in Townsville.

February

1960

The North Queensland University Association was formed to raise £50,000 to establish two residential hostels, scholarships and to provide library facilities.  Donations came from Cairns, Mackay, Cardwell, Innisfail, Charters Towers, Bowen and from a number of local firms and clubs in North Queensland.

19 May

1960

State Cabinet announces that a University College will be established at Townsville under the auspices of the University of Queensland

21 May

1960

Foundation stone laid at Pimlico site by Hon JCA Pizzey, Minister for Education.  This is now the Barrier Reef Institute of TAFE Pimlico campus.

August

1960

The Queensland government negotiated with the Federal government for the Stuart Migrant Centre to be used as a hostel for 35 male students. ‘Duncragan’ on Melton Hill was made available by the state government for 20 female students.

1 January

1961

Dr Frank Olsen commences as Warden of the University College of Townsville.

27 February

1961

University College of Townsville officially opened by Premier of Queensland, Hon GFR Nicklin.  There were 105 students.

June

1961

Prime Minister, Rt Hon. R.G. Menzies visits the Pimlico campus.

21 June

1962

Townsville City Council decided to offer the state government by way of gift through the University of Queensland, an area of approximately 400 acres of land on the southern side of the Ross River to be used exclusively for University purposes. Council also recommended that CSIRO by way of gift be offered approximately 50 acres of land owned by the Council in the same way.

March

1966

Townsville City Council offers the state government a gift of 50 acres as a site for Teachers Training College.  Council’s preference was for this to be in close proximity to University and CSIRO to foster collaboration.

8 December

1962

Dr Ken Back appointed Warden.

 

1965

CSIRO research station opens near the proposed site of the Douglas Campus.

29 July

1966

Hon. Harold E Holt, Prime Minister of Australia laid the foundation stone of Uni Halls

 

1967

First buildings occupied at Douglas Campus.

February

1969

Townsville Teacher’s College commences operation.

10 December

1969

Qld Parliament passes James Cook University of North Queensland Bill 1970.

20 April

1970

James Cook University of North Queensland proclaimed by Queen Elizabeth II at the Douglas Campus, Townsville.

Tom Priestley elected Chairman of University Council.

Dr Ken Back appointed Vice-Chancellor.

15 April

1971

Tom Priestley retires.

16 April

1971

Sir George Fisher elected Chancellor.

24 December

1971

Cyclone Althea hits Townsville.

 

1972

Research Vessel  RV James Kirby launched.

13 June

1973

AIMS established at Cape Ferguson.

15 April

1974

Sir George Fisher retires.

2 May

1974

Sir George Kneipp elected Chancellor.

8-13 August

1977

JCU holds first Open Week.

 

1978

Orpheus Island Marine Research Station established.

 

1978

Fletcherview purchased as Tropical Veterinary Science Field Station.

 

1980

Pimlico campus vacated.

 

1982

JCU amalgamates with Townsville College of Advanced Education (Townsville Teachers College.

 

1982

Sir George Fisher Centre for Tropical Marine Science established.

31 January

1986

Professor Ken Back resigns as Vice-Chancellor.

18 July

1986

Professor Ray Golding appointed Vice-Chancellor.

 

1987

Cairns Campus opens.

 

1987

Establishment of JCU's Tropical Health Surveillance Unit

 

1988

Name of Tropical Health Surveillance Unit changed to the Anton Breinl Centre for Tropical Health and Medicine

 

1990

Institute of Advanced Education disbanded.  School of Education formed within James Cook University. Institute’s buildings become Western Campus.

 

1992

Mackay Campus opened.

15 February

1993

Sir George Kneipp dies.

4 March

1993

John Williams appointed Chancellor.

April

1993

Sir George Kneipp Auditorium opens.

 

1995

Cairns Campus relocates to current Smithfield site.

25 July

1996

Professor Ray Golding retires as Vice-Chancellor.

25 July

1996

Dr Martyn Forrest appointed Vice-Chancellor.

14 January

1997

Dr Martyn Forrest resigns as Vice-Chancellor.

4 April

1997

Professor Ken McKinnon appointed Interim Vice-Chancellor

15 December

1997

Professor Bernard Moulden appointed Vice-Chancellor.

December

1997

Parliament passes James Cook University Act 1997.

 

1998

Name changed to James Cook University.

 

1998

Funding announced for Medical School.

7 March

1999

John Williams retires as Chancellor.

23 March

1999

Lt-Gen John Grey AC appointed Chancellor.

 

2000

James Cook University Medical School opened.

 

2003

Thursday Island campus established.

 

2003

JCU commences operations in Singapore.

August

2003

JCU named in the top 500 Universities in the World according to the Shanghai Jiao Tong world ranking.

March

2006

JCU Brisbane campus opened.

17 December

2006

Professor Bernard Moulden resigns as Vice-Chancellor.

15 January

2007

Professor Sandra Harding commences as Vice-Chancellor & President.

21 May

2008

JCU launches its Reconciliation Statement and names the library the “Eddie Koiki Mabo Library”.

September

2008

JCU Singapore relocates to Upper Thompson Road site.