You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
- About JCUJCU Connect
- Cairns Institute External
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
- Why JCU?
- Arts and Social Sciences
- Biomedical Sciences
- Environmental Management
- Health Studies
- Information Technology
- Marine Science
- Nursing and Midwifery
- Occupational Therapy
- Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Social Work
- Speech Pathology
- Sport and Exercise Science
- Veterinary Science
Course by level
Cities, campuses and study centres
- Services and support
- QTAC Packaged Offers
- International Students
Fees and Financial Support
Exams & Results
- Student forms
The Learning Centre
- Learning Centre Services
- Getting Started
- Peer Assisted Study Sessions
- Develop Your English
- Maths and Statistics
- Short Courses and Workshops
- Downloads and Booklets
- Safe work and study at JCU
Research and Teaching
I want to...
About JCU Research
- Research Performance
Research Centres and Institutes
- Division of Research & Innovation
- Celebrating Research @JCU
- JCU Research Contacts
- Master's by Research
- Fees and Scholarships
- I want to...
Partners and Community
Living in Townsville
Living in Cairns
- Short-term stay
- About Us
Cairns On-Campus Accommodation Promotion Terms and Conditions
Competition terms and conditions
JCU Cairns on-campus student accommodation launch competition
- Participating in this competition constitutes an acceptance of these Terms and Conditions.
- The “Promoter” is James Cook University (JCU), 1 James Cook Drive, Townsville, QLD 4811. ABN 46 253 211 955.
- To be eligible to enter this Competition, a participant must be seventeen (17) years of age or older and able to meet the requirements for redemption of the prize listed in Item 10.
- Entries open at 12:01am on Monday 5 June 2017 and close at 11:59pm on Thursday 31 August 2017.
- Only one (1) entry will be accepted per person, with the following action constituting one entry:
- An online application completed for a full 2018 academic year of on-campus accommodation at the JCU Cairns Campus and submitted via JCU’s online accommodation portal.
- Incomplete, indecipherable or illegible entries will be deemed invalid. No responsibility is accepted for late, lost or misdirected entries.
- The Promoter will select a prizewinner by a random draw that will take place at the JCU Accommodation Office, on either the Townsville or Cairns Campus, after 4:30pm on 12 February 2018.
- The first valid entry drawn will win one semester of free on-campus accommodation at the JCU Cairns Campus to the value of the prizewinner’s existing accommodation contract with JCU for semester 2 of 2018 of a value of up to a maximum of AUD $6,380.
- The prize will only be allocated to the prizewinner’s semester 2 of 2018 JCU Cairns on-campus accommodation account and may only be applied to cover the accommodation costs associated with that account. The prize will not be allocated to any other costs or fees incurred or owed by the prizewinner as a consequence of their contract for on-campus accommodation with JCU.
- To redeem the prize, the prizewinner must:
- be an enrolled JCU Cairns student and undertaking a full time study load (FTSL) in 2018; and
- have an existing accommodation contract in place with JCU for residence at the JCU Cairns on-campus student accommodation for a full 2018 academic year.
- The prizewinner will be announced at a JCU Cairns on-campus student accommodation event held after 12 February 2018, published on JCU Social Media and on a notice board at the JCU Cairns on-campus student accommodation.
- If there is a dispute as to the identity of an entrant, the Promoter reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to determine the identity of the entrant.
- The Promoter will use reasonable endeavours to contact the prizewinner via the telephone number and email address supplied by entrants within 24 hours of the prize draw. If the contact details supplied are recorded incorrectly, the Promoter does not accept responsibility for the inability to make contact with a prizewinner and another prizewinner will be selected and notified as set out in these Terms and Conditions.
- If the prizewinner does not claim their prize or is unable to be contacted by 10:00am on 16 February 2018, another prizewinner will be drawn.
- If the prizewinner does not meet the requirements in Item 10, another prizewinner will be drawn.
- The prizewinner does not have to be present at the time or place of the draw.
- The prizewinner must present photographic identification at the time of prize redemption.
- The prize is not transferable, refundable or exchangeable and cannot be taken for cash.
- If a prize is unavailable, the Promoter, in its absolute discretion, reserves the right to substitute the prize with a prize to the equal value and/or specification.
- If the prizewinner claims the prize and then subsequently fails or ceases to meet the requirements in Item 10 at any time after claiming the prize, for any reason, the prizewinner will forfeit the prize and no further prizewinners will be drawn.
- The Promoter's decisions as to the winner of the prize is final and binding and no correspondence will be entered into in relation to the conduct of the competition or otherwise.
- If the use of a prize is subject to the terms and conditions of a third party (including validity period), any dispute in relation to those terms and conditions must be directed to that party and the Promoter has no responsibility for resolving such disputes.
- If this competition is interfered with in any way or is not capable of being conducted as reasonably anticipated due to any reason beyond reasonable control of the Promoter, the Promoter reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to the fullest extent permitted by the law to (a) disqualify any entrant; or (b) subject to any written directions from a regulatory authority, to modify, suspend, terminate or cancel the competition, as appropriate.
- The Promoter is not responsible for any incorrect or inaccurate information, or for any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilised in this competition, or for any technical error that may occur in the course of the administration of this competition.
- The Promoter assumes no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft or destruction or unauthorised access to or alteration of entries.
- To the fullest extent permitted by the law, the Promoter will not be liable for any death, injury, damages, expenses, or loss whatsoever (whether direct or inconsequential) to persons or property as a result of any person entering into the competition or accepting or using any prize, including without limitation non-receipt of any prize and damage to any prize in transit.
- Under the Information Privacy Act 2009 (Qld), the Promoter must tell entrants when it collects personal information about them and how it plans to use it. If an entrant chooses to enter or take part in this competition, the entrant may be required to provide the Promoter with personal information such as the entrant’s full name, telephone contact number and email address. The Promoter will collect and use the entrant’s personal information in order to (a) conduct the competition; (b) provide the entrant with marketing and informational material about James Cook University and (c) notify the public of the prizewinners’ full name in accordance with Item 11.
- Without limiting Item 27, the Promoter will use the entrant’s personal information to place the entrant on the Promoter’s mailing list whereby the entrant will receive information about James Cook University including, but not limited to, course and event information and application closing dates. Entrants may opt out of the mailing list at any time.
- A request to access, update or correct any personal information should be directed to the Promoter. If an entrant would prefer that the Promoter does not use the entrant’s details in the way outlined in the Terms and Conditions, the entrant should contact the Promoter.