Information for landlords
Do you own a property near JCU that would make a suitable home for one or multiple students? We can assist with advertising your property or room for rent to students who are considering living in a private rental while they are a student at JCU.
Before you consider advertising your property to students, please take the time to read and understand the Rental Tenancy Act.
Our tips for success will assist you in advertising your property or room to find a suitable student:
- When you find a potential student to rent your property or room, it is important to meet with them in person. Arrange a short interview to find out if they are the right fit for you.
- Create a clear contract to be signed by yourself and the student which clearly outlines all rights and responsibilities. Be specific about what is included and set clear expectations about items like meals, property maintenance, inclusions such as furniture and laundry facilities.
- Once you are familiar with the Rental Tenancy Act, you can then list your property on JCU’s off-campus rental database. Instructions on how to list your property can be found below . A detailed description of your property outlining the features and benefits, proximity or easy access to campus and clear photos will help your property stand out to students.
- The tenancy agreement is established strictly between the student and the landlord - JCU is not involved in any legal document or monetary arrangements made by the landlord and student tenant.
For more information on renting your property to a JCU student, please contact the Accommodation Service.
Accommodation Off Campus Accommodation Database
How to Advertise your Property
It is a good idea to familiarise yourself with the Rental Tenancy Act before you proceed.
- Click on the Off Campus database
- Click on register as a lister. You will be asked to create a username and password
- Click on add a new listing and follow the prompts
- Submit your new listing when completed
Your new listing will be checked and approved by the Accommodation Office and live on the website for two weeks. You can login to edit, update or refresh your listing during the advertising period. You will receive a reminder email before your listing expires.
To refresh (relist) your property, login or click the link sent out in the reminder email.
Upload photos and utilise the map feature showing the locations of a bus route, bike path and walking path to JCU to improve the chances of renting your room or property.
The site is maintained, moderated and hosted by JCU and made available to students, members of the public and some commercial accommodation providers with a variety of accommodation options listed and new properties added regularly. Any enquiries should be directed to the landlord via the contact details provided in the listing.
- You may login at any time within the two week advertising period and refresh your listing which will automatically display your listing at the top of the page. Ensure your availability date is in the future and not the past. If your listing has been made ‘unavailable’ it will remain on the database until you choose to re-activate it. Expired listings will be deleted after three months.
- Login as though you are a student to view how your listing appears on the database. You can then get an idea of how the listing has been advertised and the cost of other rentals . The username and password to use is ‘guest’ for both. You will be unable to view your own property while you are logged in with your own username.