You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Advanced Analytical Centre
- Applying to JCU
- Association of Australian University Secretaries
- Australian Quantum & Classical Transport Physics Group
- Careers and Employability
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- JCU Halls of Residence
- Language and Culture Research Centre
- Marine Geophysics Laboratory
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- Planning and Performance
- Professional Experience Placement
- Rapid Assessment Unit
- JCU Connect
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Tropical Sustainable Design Case Studies
- VAVS Home
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
About the Herbarium
Research and Programs
- Theme 1 – Tropical Biodiversity Science
- Theme 2 – Education, Knowledge Capture and Translation, Expert Advice
- Theme 3 –Biodiversity in a Changing World
- Theme 4 – Economic Botany
- Theme 5 – Tropical Biosecurity
- Tropical Indigenous Ethnobotany Centre (TIEC)
- Online Keys to Australian Tropical Rainforest Plants
- Plant Identification Workshops
Public Reference Collection
Dr. Claire Micheneau
Adjunct Researcher, Australian Tropical Herbarium
PhD, University of Reunion, Saint-Denis, La Réunion
Masters, National Natural History Museum, Paris, France
My research interest is in the mechanisms that underlie the diversification of plants, and most of my research has focused on the orchid family. I am particularly fascinated by plant reproductive strategies (pollination/mating systems) and their implications in floral trait evolution, population structure, speciation, and lineage radiation. My previous research involved the study of angraecoid orchids in the western Indian Ocean, largely focused on the volcanic island of Reunion (Mascarene Archipelago), and I am currently investigating the systematics and the evolutionary history of Australasian orchids.
Nauheimer, L, Schley, RJ, Clements, MA, Micheneau, C, Nargar, K (2018) Australasian orchid biogeography at continental scale: Molecular phylogenetic insights from the Sun Orchids (Thelymitra, Orchidaceae). Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 127, 304-319.
Nargar, K, Molina, S, Wagner, N, Nauheimer, L, Micheneau, C, Clements, MA (2018) Australasian orchid diversification in time and space: molecular phylogenetic insights from the beard orchids (Calochilus, Diurideae). Australian Systematic Botany 31, 389-408.
Pineiro, R, Micheneau, C, Dauby, G, Hardy, O (2015) Isolation, characterization and cross-species amplification of nuclear microsatellites in the African tree genus Greenwayodendron (Annonaceae). Journal of Tropical Forest Science 28, 121-131.
Simo-Droissart M, Sonke, B, Droissart V, Geerinck D, Micheneau C, Lowry, P, Plunkett, G, Hardy OJ, Stevart, T (2014): Taxonomic revision of the continental African species of Angraecum Section Pectinaria (Orchidaceae). Systematic Botany 39: 725-739.
Hardy OJ, Born C, Budde K, Daïnou K, Dauby G, Duminil J, Ewédjè E-E BK, Gomez C, Heuertz M, Koffi GK, Lowe AJ, Micheneau C, Ndiade-Bourobou D, Piñeiro R, Poncet V (2013) Comparative phylogeography of African rain forest trees: A review of genetic signatures of vegetation history in the Guineo-Congolian region. Comptes Rendus Geoscience 345: 284-296.
Simo-Droissart M, Micheneau C, Sonké B, Droissart V, Plunkett GM, Lowry II PP, Hardy OJ, Stévart T. (2013) Morphometrics and molecular phylogenetics of the continental African species of Angraecum section Pectinaria (Orchidaceae). Plant Ecology and Evolution 146: 295-309.
Piñeiro, R., Micheneau C,. Dauby, G., Hardy, O.J. Isolation of nuclear microsatellite loci in the African tree Scorodophloeus zenkeri (Fabaceae). 2012. Conservation Genetics Resources Online First Articles: doi: 10.1007/s12686-012-9773-8.
Molecular Ecology Resources Primer Development Consortium, Ahanchédé, A., Alfaya, J.E.F., Andersen, L.W., Azam, D., Bautista, Ma. A.M., Besnard, A.-L., Bigatti, G., Bouétard, A., Coutellec, M.-A., Ewédjè, E.-E.B.K., Fuseya, R., GarcÍa-Jiménez, R., Haratian, M., Hardy, O.J., Holm, L.-E., Hoy, C.W., Koshimizu, E., Loeschcke, V., López-Márquez, V., Machado, C.A., Machordom, A., Marchi, C., Michel, A.P., Micheneau, C., Mittapalli, O., Nagai, T., Okamoto, N., Pan, Y., Panitz, F., Safaie, N., Sakamoto, T., Sharifnabi, B., Tian, E.-W., Yu, H. Permanent Genetic Resources added to Molecular Ecology Resources. 2013. Molecular Ecology Resources 13: 158–159. doi: 10.1111/1755-0998.12035
Micheneau, C., G. Dauby, N. Bourland, J-L. Doucet, O.J. Hardy. Cost-effective method for the development of microsatellite loci: a case study with Pericopsis elata (Fabaceae). 2011. American Journal of Botany, Primer Notes and Protocols 98: e268-e270.
Humeau, L., C. Micheneau, A. Gauvin-Bialecki, J. Fournel , T. Pailler. Sapromyiophily in the native orchid, Bulbophyllum variegatum on Réunion (Mascarene archipelago, Indian Ocean). 2011. Journal of Tropical Ecology 27: 591-599.
Micheneau, C., K.J. Duffy, R.J. Smith, L.J. Stevens, J.C. Stout, L. Civeyrel, R.S. Cowan, M.F. Fay. 2010. Plastid microsatellites for the study of genetic variability in the widespread Cephalanthera longifolia, C. damasonium and C. rubra (Neottieae, Orchidaceae), and cross amplification in other Cephalanthera species. Botanical Journal of the Linnean Society 163: 181-193.
Hugel, S., C. Micheneau, J. Fournel, B. Warren, A. Bialecki-Gauvin, T. Pailler, M. Chase, D. Stasberg. 2010. Glomeremus species from the Mascarene islands (Orthoptera, Gryllacrididae) with the description of the pollinator of an endemic orchid from the island of Réunion. Zootaxa 2545: 58-68.
Micheneau, C., J. Fournel, B. Warren, S. Hugel, A. Bialecki-Gauvin, T. Pailler, D. Stasberg, M. Chase. 2010. Orthoptera, a new insect order recorded as orchid pollinator. Annals of Botany 105: 355-364.
Micheneau, C., S. D. Johnson, M. F. Fay. 2009. Orchid pollination: from the time of Darwin to the present day. Invited paper (Darwin’s special issue). Botanical Journal of the Linnean Society 161: 1-19.
Micheneau, C., J. Fournel, L. Humeau, T. Pailler. 2008. Orchid-bird interactions: a case study from Angraecum (Vandeae, Angraecinae) and Zosterops (white-eyes, Zosteropidae) on Reunion island. Botany 86: 1143-1151.
Micheneau, C., J. Fournel, A. Gauvin-Bialecki, T. Pailler. 2008. Auto-pollination in a long-spurred endemic orchid (Jumellea stenophylla) on Reunion Island. Plant Systematics and Evolution. 272: 11-22.
Micheneau, C., B. Carlsward, M. Fay, B. Bytebier, T. Pailler, M. Chase. 2008. Phylogenetics and biogeography of Mascarene angraecoid orchids (Vandeae, Orchidaceae). Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 46: 908-922.
Micheneau, C., J. Fournel, T. Pailler. 2006. Bird pollination in an angraecoid orchid of Reunion Island (Mascarene archipelago, Indian Ocean). Annals of Botany 97: 965-974.
Jacquemyn, H., C. Micheneau, D. Roberts, T. Pailler. 2005. Elevational gradients of species diversity, breeding system and floral traits of orchid species on Reunion Island. Journal of Biogeography 32: 1751-1761.
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture