You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- College of Arts, Society and Education
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
About the Herbarium
Research and Programs
- Theme 1 – Tropical Biodiversity Science
- Theme 2 – Education, Knowledge Capture and Translation, Expert Advice
- Theme 3 –Biodiversity in a Changing World
- Theme 4 – Economic Botany
- Theme 5 – Tropical Biosecurity
- Tropical Indigenous Ethnobotany Centre (TIEC)
- Online Keys to Australian Tropical Rainforest Plants
- Plant Identification Workshops
Public Reference Collection
MSc. (Plant Systematics) 2010, University of Papua New Guinea
BSc. (Hons.) Major in Biology, 2002, University of Papua New Guinea
BSc. 2001, University of Papua New Guinea
E2.203A, Sir Robert Norman Building (E2), James Cook University, PO Box 6811, Cairns QLD 4870
+61 (0) 7 4232 1687
I am interested in plant taxonomy, systematics and ethnobotany. Former projects involved ‘Systematics and Biology of New Guinea Begonia’ and ‘Ethobotany and plant diversity’ - incorporating folk knowledge with plant use in New Guinea communities.
My current research focuses on the systematics and evolution of the genus Elaeocarpus L. (Elaeocarpaceae) focussing on New Guinea species. This study aims to utilise molecular phylogenetics and fruit morphology of both extant and fossil material to investigate the evolution of the genus, including dating of past events. Specifically, I aim to: 1) reconstruct the phylogeny with a focus on species from New Guinea which are currently under-represented in existing data sets, 2) determine the evolutionary patterns of fruit morphology in the genus, 3) resolve the phylogenetic placement of fossil Elaeocarpus fruits and 4) use these fossils to calibrate the molecular evolutionary rate and thereby determine the dates of evolutionary events within Elaeocarpus. The results of my research will provide further insights into the evolutionary history of Old World tropical forests.
Gagul, JN, Tng, DYP, Crayn, DM (2018) Fruit developmental biology and endosperm rumination in Elaeocarpus ruminatus (Elaeocarpaceae), and its taxonomic significance. Australian Systematic Botany 31, 409-419.
Gagul, JN, Sands, MJS, Gideon, O, Hughes, M (2018) A revision of Begonia Sect. Symbegonia on New Guinea. Edinburgh Journal of Botany 75, 127-159.
Gagul, J, Simpson, L, Crayn, DM (2018) Elaeocarpus carbinensis J.Gagul & Crayn (Elaeocarpaceae), a new species endemic to the Mt Carbine Tableland of northeast Queensland, Australia. Austrobaileya 10, 247-259.
Gagul, J (2016) Molecular phylogenetics of Elaeocarpus (Elaeocarpaceae) with a focus on New Guinea species: Eichler Research Fund Report. Australasian Systematic Botany Society Newsletter 167, 4-8.
Hughes, M, Barber, S, Heatubun, CD, Gagul, J (2015) Begonia yapensis (sect. Symbegonia, Begoniaceae), a new species from Papua, Indonesia. European Journal of Taxonomy 119, 1-6.
Gideon, O., Mandeakali, L., Gagul, J. 2011. Environmental Impact Statement for Nuku Integrated Agro-Forestry Project, Nuku District, Sandaun Province. A report submitted to Skywalker Global Resources (PNG) Ltd in Association with Nuku Resource Limited.
Gagul, J, Sands, M.J, Hughes, M and Gideon, O. 2011. A revision of Begonia sect. Symbegonia on New Guinea (in prep.). Edinburgh Botanic Journal.
Gagul, J. 2011. The genus Begonia L. (Begoniaceae) in New Guinea. The Begonian Journal, Vol. 78, pp 94 – 99.
Gagul, J. 2010. Updated List of New Guinea Begonias. Science in New Guinea Journal, Vol. 30, pp 66 – 76. UPNG Press, Port Moresby.
Gagul, J. 2009. Plant diversity and plant lore of a community in the Pawaiia area of the Simbu Province, Papua New Guinea. Science in New Guinea Journal, Vol. 29, pp 79 – 92. UPNG Press, Port Moresby.
Gagul, J., Ousari, M. J., Bola, D and Douglas, J. V. 2009. High Conservation Value Assessment of Proposed Silovuti Oil Palm Project, East Kove, West New Britain Province, Papua New Guinea. A report submitted to New Britain Palm Oil Limited.
Gagul, J. 2008. New Guinea Begonias. Begonia Australis 18 (4): 127 – 127.
Gagul, J. 2008. Normanby Island Botanical Expedition. Report submitted to Botanical Institute of Texas (BRIT).
Gagul, J. 2008. Yumebenden Begonia Expedition, Simbu Province. Report Submitted to UPNG Science Research Committee.
Hiaso, J., Sengo, J. Narawen, S., Gagul, J and Amah, D. 2007. Vegetation analysis of Basamuk Bay, Madang Province, Papua New Guinea. A report submitted to Enesar Pty Ltd, Australia.
Gagul, J. 2006. Vegetation analysis of Managalas Plateau of Oro Province, Papua New Guinea. A Report submitted to Partners with Melanesia (a Non Government Organisation).
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture