You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- College of Arts, Society and Education
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
About the Herbarium
Research and Programs
- Theme 1 – Tropical Biodiversity Science
- Theme 2 – Education, Knowledge Capture and Translation, Expert Advice
- Theme 3 –Biodiversity in a Changing World
- Theme 4 – Economic Botany
- Theme 5 – Tropical Biosecurity
- Tropical Indigenous Ethnobotany Centre (TIEC)
- Online Keys to Australian Tropical Rainforest Plants
- Plant Identification Workshops
Public Reference Collection
MSc in Biodiversity and Taxonomy of Plants, 2007, Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh and University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, UK. Bachelor of Science (Hons), 1995, University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia.
E2.203A, Sir Robert Norman Building (E2), James Cook University, PO Box 6811, Smithfield QLD 4878
+61 (0)7 4232 1687
My research interests are in taxonomy, systematics, biogeography of fungi and plants. I am especially interested in the fungal-host interactions and host specificity.
I am currently undertaking a PhD investigating the tropical fungal endophytes of the Wet Tropics region in northern Queensland. While we know that the endophyte flora of the tropics is considered rich and diverse, we know little about the endophytes of northern Australia and the Wet Tropics. I am using the genus Elaeocarpus as a model host to investigate the biodiversity, taxonomy, host specificity and genetic diversity of the fungal endophytes of the Wet Tropics.
I am also investigating the biodiversity and seasonality of fungi at high altitudes in the Wet Tropics. In this project I will collect fungi from high-altitude sites across the region. Sites will be surveyed systematically and revisited in all seasons for the life of the project to investigate seasonality and to collect any fungi which may fruit in specific seasons. The biodiversity focus for the project is the macrofungi of the sites.
Shivas, RG, Tan, YP, Edwards, J, Dinh, Q, Maxwell, A, Andjic, V, Liberato, J, Anderson, C, Beasley, D, Bransgrove, K, Coates, L, Cowan, K, Daniel, R, Dean, J, Lomavatu, M, Mercad-Escueta, D, Mitchell, R, Thangavel, R, Tran-Nguyen, L, Weir, B (2016) Colletotrichum species in Australia. Australasian Plant Pathology 45, 477-464.
Bransgrove, K, Middleton, DJ (2015) A revision of Epithema (Gesneriaceae). Gardens' Bulletin Singapore 67, 159-229.
Grants and awards
2013: Pauline Ladiges Prize awarded by the Australasian Systematic Botany Society for best student presentation.
2012: Wet Tropics Management Authority (WTMA) Student Grant, “Biodiversity and host specificity in tropical rainforest fungal endophytes in the Wet Tropics”.
2011: PhD candidature scholarship, National Environmental Research Programme (NERP).
2011: Kyoto University Global COE Programme Fellowship, September 2011. Travel, accommodation, stipend to attend the Kyoto University Summer Field School. Mycology field course on Yakushima Island, mycology genome course at Kyoto University.
2008: Sibbald Fellowship, Sibbald Trust, Edinburgh. Award of grant to conduct a revision of Epithema (Gesneriaceae).
2006: British Council Scholarship, British Council. Award of full scholarship for MSc study, Biodiversity and Taxonomy of Plants, 2006-2007, University of Edinburgh, United Kingdom.
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture