Study essentials Before you arrive

Before you arrive

To ensure you have a smooth transition into studying at JCU Brisbane, you will need to do some pre-departure preparation. We’ve put together some key information to help you get started.

All overseas students must apply for a student visa before travelling to Australia. To find out more, please contact your nearest Australian Embassy, Consulate or High Commission, or visit the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade website.

Comprehensive information about visa applications, student work rights and restrictions, health requirements and much more can be found on the Department of Home Affairs website.

COVID-19 information



OSHC is insurance to assist international students to meet the costs of medical and hospital care that they may need while in Australia. As an international student, it is a condition of your student visa that you have OSHC for the entire duration of your stay in Australia.

Exceptions to this requirement only apply where the Department of Home Affairs (the Department) recognises a suitable alternative health cover arrangement. This includes Swedish and Norwegian students who have health cover with the approved home government insurer.

“Dual or Multi-Family” Overseas Student Health Cover provided by Allianz Care Australia must be arranged if you intend to travel to Australia with your family members as dependents on your student visa.

Students who do not arrive in Australia on a student visa will not be covered by OSHC until they have obtained a student visa.

Obtaining your Overseas Student Health Cover:

When you receive your letter of offer from JCU Brisbane it will indicate the duration and cost of the Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) you need for your stay in Australia if you will be studying on a student visa. In most cases, JCU will arrange OSHC membership for the whole duration of your student visa (called ‘visa length cover’).

If you are applying independently, you will need to send your payment directly to JCU Brisbane at the time that you accept your offer. If you are applying through a partner institution or sponsor, payment will be arranged in accordance with the relevant agreement.

JCU Brisbane establishes your initial OSHC membership on your behalf so you can meet your student visa requirements. The commencement date will initially be set as approximately 10 days prior to your course commencement. It is up to you to adjust the start date to coincide with the date you enter Australia on a student visa.

JCU’s preferred OSHC provider is Overseas Student Health Cover provided by Allianz Care Australia. Soon after your arrival at JCU, you will be directed to the Allianz Care Australia website to apply online for your Overseas Student Health Cover provided by the Allianz Care Australia membership card and adjust the start date of your membership if required.

If you have any queries related to Overseas Student Health Cover provided by Allianz Care Australia membership, visit the Allianz Office:

310 Ann Street
Brisbane QLD 4000

Renewing your Overseas Student Health Cover:

To comply with your student visa conditions it is essential that you have current Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the full duration of your student visa.

If your health cover is provided by Allianz Care Australia, you will receive a reminder email approximately one month before the expiry date of your cover. Renewal can be made online at Allianz Care Australia.

If your membership is with another OSHC provider, please take note of the expiry date of your membership and arrange to renew it directly with the provider before this date.

Dual or Multi-Family Overseas Student Health Cover:

Any family members joining or accompanying you to Australia as dependents on your student visa must also have Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC).

To include your family in your OSHC at the time you accept your JCU offer, you will need to pay the family OSHC premium stated on your Letter of Offer. If you have already arrived and/or commenced your studies and need to change your cover from single to family, please contact Allianz Care Australia.

For more information on visa requirements, you can visit the Department website.

Click here for more information about OSHC.

A minimum of $A400 per trimester is required for textbooks. Students will also need to budget for other academic expenses such as stationery and course-related resources or materials.

The SSA Fee is a compulsory fee charged on the basis of study load. In 2021, the charge is $46.95 per 3 credit points, to a maximum of $313 per calendar year

The SSA Fee is used to improve services and facilities on and off campus, helping to build a better university experience for all students.

Estimated Weekly costs$AU
Rent (Share accommodation)$95 – $215
Groceries & eating out$140 – $280
Gas, Electricity$10 – $20
Mobile phone & Internet$15 – $30
Public transport / Travel$30 – $80
Miscellaneous (Clothes, toiletries, medical)$30 – $80
Entertainment$80 – $150
Total Estimated Weekly Costs*$400 – $835

All prices are to be used as a guide and can vary based on individual circumstances. For more information regarding living in Australia visit the Study Australia website.

The Department of Home Affairs has financial requirements you must meet in order to receive a student visa. The 12-month living costs are (checked on the DHA Website January 2021):

  • You: $21,041
  • Partner or Spouse: $7,362
  • Child: $3,152

All costs are per year in Australian dollars. To convert to your own currency, visit the XE Currency Exchange website.

The Australian Government wants overseas students in Australia to have a safe, enjoyable and rewarding place to study. Australia’s laws promote quality education and consumer protection for overseas students. These laws are known as the ESOS framework and they include the Education Services for Overseas (ESOS) Act 2000 and the National Code 2018. Check the JCU Guidelines, Policies and Regulations relevant to international students studying on a student visa.

An emergency is the actual or imminent occurrence of an event which endangers or threatens the safety or health of any person in the area; and/or destroys, or threatens to destroy or damage any property.

In any life threatening emergency call 000 (112 from Mobile) and request Police, Fire or Ambulance.