Career Planning for Success
- Future Students
- Current Students
- Research and Teaching
- Partners and Community
- About JCU
- Celebrating 50 Years
- Anton Breinl Research Centre
- Living on Campus
- Advanced Analytical Centre
- Applying to JCU
- Australian Lions Stinger Research
- Australian Tropical Herbarium
- Association of Australian University Secretaries
Careers and Employability
- Career Planning for Success
- Job Search, Applications and Interviews
- Connecting with Professionals
- Appointments and Drop-In Service
- Gain Course Relevant Experience
- University Specialist Employment Partnerships
- Postgraduate Students
- International Students
- Annual Careers Fair
- Contact Us
- Australian Quantum & Classical Transport Physics Group
- Centre for International Trade and Business in Asia
- Centre for Tropical Bioinformatics and Molecular Biology
- College of Business, Law and Governance
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- College of Science and Engineering
- COVID-19 Advice
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Division of Research and Innovation
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- Division of Tropical Health and Medicine
- Economic Geology Research Centre
- Foundation for Australian Literary Studies
- Give to JCU
- Graduate Research School
- JCU Ideas Lab
- Indigenous Education and Research Centre
- IT Services
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- JCU Global Experience
- JCU Halls of Residence
- Language and Culture Research Centre
- Marine Geophysics Laboratory
- Off-Campus Students
- Open Day
- Outstanding Alumni Awards
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- Planning and Performance
- Planning for your future
- Professional Experience Placement
- Rapid Assessment Unit
- JCU Connect
- Safety and Wellbeing
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Study Now
- Student Equity and Wellbeing
- VAVS Home
- WHOCC for Vector-borne & NTD
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
JCU Careers and Employability supports students with their career planning through the following services:
Appointments with a Career Counsellor
JCU Career Counsellors can help you clarify your career direction, provide course-related career information, and develop strategies and a plan to achieve your career goals.
Appointments are free and confidential.
During the current COVID-19 situation, we will be offering support by Zoom, telephone and email.
To book an appointment, contact JCU Careers and Employability or call into our office.
Please note: the Student Centre is the best point of contact for enquiries about gaining credit for previous study, prerequisite requirements, selecting subjects/electives or administration processes to change courses.
Career Development Program
The JCU Career Development Program consists of a suite of online career modules designed to assist you with your career development and transition to professional employment.
You may complete any module of your choice. If you are required to complete a module quiz as part of an academic subject requirement, please follow the advice of your lecturer or subject coordinator.
For further information, contact JCU Careers and Employability.
Skills and Attributes for Career Success
Skills and Attributes for Career Success: Developing an Enterprising Mindset is a program of eight online modules that will equip you with the key skills and attributes needed to be successful in graduate-level employment.
Each semester the JCU Careers and Employability Team provide a series of workshops to assist students with their transition to graduate employment.
During the current COVID-19 situation, our workshops will be offered online. Please log in to JCU CareerHub to make a booking or contact JCU Careers and Employability.
Check out the webinar schedule for June, 2020 here.
Check out the webinar schedule for SP2, 2020 here.
The JCU degree specific Career Snapshots provide you with course-related career information and strategies to maximise your employment outcomes.
Useful Career Information/Planning Websites
- Job Outlook – This Australian Government website provides information on workforce and occupational characteristics, including: expected employment growth, average weekly earnings, the skills needed to perform work tasks, and typical work activities. It also has a careers quiz to help you identify types of work you most like doing.
- Myfuture - This Australian Government website provides information on numerous careers and Australian wide course and training options. It offers a psychometric Interests test to identify preferred types of work plus Skills, Knowledge and Work Conditions quizzes which complement the Interest test outcomes and provide more context for consideration.
- 100 Jobs of the Future - This site reports on the future of work in an increasingly technologically driven society. It identifies the jobs that will emerge in the future and the skills and interests that are needed. It offers a Future Job Quiz to help you identify possible work futures for you.
- GradAustralia, GradConnection information on graduate jobs, internships and graduate programs, as well as graduate salaries, facts, figures and application dates.
- Labour Market Information Portal - labour market information, including: jobactive data, employment by industry and occupation, unemployment rates, monthly job vacancies and employment projections.
- Skills Shortages - skills shortages in the Australian labour market at the state, territory and/or national level.
- Course Seeker - information on on-campus and online undergraduate courses across Australia.
- The Good Universities Guide - information on courses available at Australian universities, TAFE and private training colleges. Information also on 450 occupations on areas including: core duties of the job, personal requirements, education and training requirements and employment opportunities.
- QILT (Quality Indicators for Learning and Teaching) - information on undergraduate student experiences and graduate employment outcomes for all Australian university degree programs.
- Seek - job vacancy listing site providing information on the scope of roles available in your area of interest.