Career Planning for Success
- Future Students
- Current Students
- Research and Teaching
- Partners and Community
- About JCU
- Advanced Analytical Centre
- Applying to JCU
- Australian Lions Stinger Research
- Australian Tropical Herbarium
- Association of Australian University Secretaries
- Australian Quantum & Classical Transport Physics Group
Careers and Employability
- Career Planning for Success
- Job Search, Applications and Interviews
- Connecting with Professionals
- Appointments and Drop-In Service
- Gain Course Relevant Experience
- University Specialist Employment Partnerships
- Postgraduate Students
- International Students
- Annual Careers Fair
- Contact Us
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- Indigenous Education and Research Centre
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- JCU Halls of Residence
- Language and Culture Research Centre
- Marine Geophysics Laboratory
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- Planning and Performance
- Professional Experience Placement
- Rapid Assessment Unit
- JCU Connect
- Safety and Wellbeing
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Tropical Sustainable Design Case Studies
- VAVS Home
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
JCU Careers and Employability supports students with their career planning through the following services:
Appointments with a Career Counsellor
JCU Career Counsellors can help you clarify your career direction, provide course-related career information, and develop strategies and a plan to achieve your career goals.
Appointments are free and confidential. Phone appointments are also available.
To book an appointment, contact JCU Careers and Employability or call into our office.
Please note: the Student Centre is the best point of contact for enquiries about gaining credit for previous study, prerequisite requirements, selecting subjects/electives or administration processes to change courses.
Career Development Program
The JCU Career Development Program consists of a suite of online career modules designed to assist you with your career development and transition to professional employment.
You may complete any module of your choice. If you are required to complete a module quiz as part of an academic subject requirement, please follow the advice of your lecturer or subject coordinator.
For further information, contact JCU Careers and Employability.
Skills and Attributes for Career Success
Skills and Attributes for Career Success: Developing an Enterprising Mindset is a program of eight online modules that will equip you with the key skills and attributes needed to be successful in graduate-level employment.
The JCU degree specific Career Snapshots provide you with course-related career information and strategies to maximise your employment outcomes.
Useful Career Information/Planning Websites
- Job Outlook – a careers quiz to identify preferred types of work plusworkforce information including: expected employment growth, average weekly earnings, skills needed to perform work tasks, and typical work activities.
- Myfuture - a psychometric Interests test to identify preferred types of work plus Skills, Knowledge and Work Conditions quizzes to complement the Interest test outcomes and provide more context for consideration. The site also provides information on careers and Australian wide course and training options.
- GradAustralia, GradConnection, Graduate Opportunities - information on graduate jobs, internships and graduate programs, as well as graduate salaries, facts, figures and application dates.
- Labour Market Information Portal - labour market information, including: jobactive data, employment by industry and occupation, unemployment rates, monthly job vacancies and employment projections.
- Skills Shortages - skills shortages in the Australian labour market at the state, territory and/or national level.
- Course Seeker - information on on-campus and online undergraduate courses across Australia.
- The Good Universities Guide - information on courses available at Australian universities, TAFE and private training colleges. Information also on 450 occupations on areas including: core duties of the job, personal requirements, education and training requirements and employment opportunities.
- QILT (Quality Indicators for Learning and Teaching) - information on undergraduate student experiences and graduate employment outcomes for all Australian university degree programs.
- Graduate Careers Australia- industry profiles and graduate outcome information for Australian university degree programs.
- Seek - job vacancy listing site providing information on the scope of roles available in your area of interest.
Career Action Plans
The JCU Career Action Plan provides key strategies to maximise positive graduate outcomes. Students who start their career preparation early have a greater chance of achieving their goals.
Download the Career Action Plan or call into our office if you'd like a hard copy.