Connecting with Professionals
- Future Students
- Current Students
- Research and Teaching
- Partners and Community
- About JCU
- Celebrating 50 Years
- Anton Breinl Research Centre
- Living on Campus
- Advanced Analytical Centre
- Applying to JCU
- Australian Lions Stinger Research
- Australian Tropical Herbarium
- Association of Australian University Secretaries
Careers and Employability
- Career Planning for Success
- Job Search, Applications and Interviews
- Connecting with Professionals
- Appointments and Drop-In Service
- Gain Course Relevant Experience
- University Specialist Employment Partnerships
- Postgraduate Students
- International Students
- Annual Careers Fair
- Contact Us
- Australian Quantum & Classical Transport Physics Group
- Centre for International Trade and Business in Asia
- Centre for Tropical Bioinformatics and Molecular Biology
- College of Business, Law and Governance
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- College of Science and Engineering
- COVID-19 Advice
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Division of Research and Innovation
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- Division of Tropical Health and Medicine
- Economic Geology Research Centre
- Foundation for Australian Literary Studies
- Give to JCU
- Graduate Research School
- JCU Ideas Lab
- Indigenous Education and Research Centre
- IT Services
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- JCU Global Experience
- JCU Halls of Residence
- Language and Culture Research Centre
- Marine Geophysics Laboratory
- Off-Campus Students
- Open Day
- Outstanding Alumni Awards
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- Planning and Performance
- Planning for your future
- Professional Experience Placement
- Rapid Assessment Unit
- JCU Connect
- Safety and Wellbeing
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Study Now
- Student Equity and Wellbeing
- VAVS Home
- WHOCC for Vector-borne & NTD
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
There is a range of activities you can participate in during your time at James Cook University (JCU) which will help you to connect with professionals in your area of study.
Attend the annual Careers Fair
The annual Careers Fair is for ALL students. We encourage students from every year level and every discipline to attend.
Each year you will find new organisations, new opportunities and new ideas to help you secure your ideal job.
See Careers Fair for event dates and guest organisations.
Join a Professional Association
One excellent strategy for meeting with employers is to join a professional association; it will show commitment to your profession and will provide you with opportunities to attend professional networking events.
Professional associations may conduct conferences, seminars, presentations and social functions to help members keep abreast of current practices and for networking purposes. For students, these events can be an excellent source of contacts, industry relevant information and scholarship opportunities. Membership is usually open to students at a reduced rate.
For further information:
- Hear from a JCU Graduate on the benefits of joining a professional association as a student.
- Review our short video presentation
Networking is about building relationships with people. It’s not about contacting everyone you know when you are looking for a job and asking if they know of any job openings. Networking is the art of building alliances and that starts long before a job search.
From time to time, employers visit JCU campuses. Make sure you check JCU communications regularly so that you don’t miss a relevant event.
See Networking for useful tips for effective networking.
Professional Networking: How to add value to your connections.
Establish and maintain your LinkedIn Profile
This is a great way to connect with professionals, both local and from other areas.
See Using Social Media for your Job Search for further tips or go to the Linkedin website for useful information on how to create your profile and make the most of this professional networking resource.
During the semester, connect with our team at the Drop-in desk for feedback on your Linkedin profile.
Join a Student Club
Life as a JCU student is much more than attending lectures and tutorials. Student clubs offer many benefits, including:
- Meeting new people who may become part of your professional network when you graduate
- Developing transferrable skills, including organising activities and events and public speaking
- Giving you access to industry relevant networking activities
Make the most out of your time at JCU – join a club or start your own. Contact the JCU Student Association to find out more.