Postgraduate study is an investment in your future and provides enhanced career opportunities. Visit the Good Universities Guide for information on the types of postgraduate studies and the range of benefits they offer.
Don’t wait until you have completed your course to develop your career plan – stay engaged and connected throughout your studies.
- Draft your resume and keep it up-to-date (for feedback on your resume, see Appointments and Drop-In Service)
- Establish and maintain a Linkedin profile - see the great resources on Linkedin to help you get started and develop your profile. Connect with our team at the Drop-in desk during semester for feedback.
- Develop networking skills and practice them regularly.
- Identify opportunities for engagement, such as providing tutoring, connecting with a relevant professional association, assisting at conferences to help keep you up-to-date with changes to research funding, priority areas and university policies.
- Graduate Careers Australia – Information on work and study outcomes for postgraduates studies
- Postgraduate Survival Guide – A guide for those considering postgraduate study in science
- Postgraduate Futures
- Research Gate - Share your publications, connect and collaborate with colleagues, get stats, find a research job.
- Careers with Code, Careers with Science, Careers with Engineering
- Science meets Business - Covers news and research at the nexus between science, engineering, technology and industry
- Career Resources Guide for Higher Degree by Research Candidates (PDF, 1057 KB) - Dr Ian McLeod
- CareerOne article 'Should you do a post graduate qualification?'
- Career FAQs article 'Should you do Postgraduate Study?'
- Job Outlook – Information about workforce and occupational characteristics, including expected employment growth, average weekly earnings, the skills needed to perform work tasks, and typical work activities.
- The Good Universities Guide – Information on courses available at Australian universities, TAFE and private training colleges. Information is also provided on 450 occupations on topics such as core duties of the job, personal requirements, education and training requirements and employment opportunities.
- LinkedIn – A professional networking site that allows registered members to establish and document networks of people they know and trust professionally. When you join LinkedIn, you gain access to people, jobs, news, updates, and insights about careers paths of professionals in your fields of interest. You can join online discussion groups relevant to your career.
- Australian Postgraduate Research (APR) Intern is Australia’s only all sector — all discipline postgraduate internship program, transforming Australian businesses through university research collaborations.
Job vacancy websites