The University has in place a group personal accident policy for volunteer workers conducting authorised University activities. This policy provides limited cover, so should not be seen as a substitute for private health insurance and/or accident, life or income protection insurance. For further information, refer to the insurance brochure (PDF, 114 KB).

The Health Insurance Act (Cth) 1973 prohibits general insurers from covering any item for which there is a Medicare entitlement, including the Medicare gap. This means that volunteers will be responsible for any out of pocket expenses if they choose to be treated by a medical practitioner or facility that does not bulk bill.

In addition, volunteers whilst engaged in activities for or on behalf of the University may be covered in the event of a third party claim under JCU’s Professional Indemnity and Public Liability Insurances, and under JCU's Corporate Travel Insurance.

Cover under the above insurances only applies to events officially organised by and under the control of the University, and volunteer activities undertaken with the knowledge and approval of the University.

Contact the Insurance Office if you are injured and wish to make a claim, or for any other advice on the insurance cover.

For insurance cover to extend to a volunteer, please complete the Authorisation of a Volunteer (PDF, 94 KB) form and return to insurance@jcu.edu.au.