You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- College of Arts, Society and Education
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- JCU Connect
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
- Research News
- Contact Us
Short Language Courses offered by the Academy of Modern Languages
Languages – Your Passport to the World!
If you intend to travel or work overseas, or you're interested in other languages and cultures, you should consider enrolling in a short course offered by the Academy of Modern Languages at JCU. There are no exams or assignments, just a group of people learning another language in a relaxed setting. Students attending at least 80 percent of the course will receive a certificate of participation on completion.
Elementary and Intermediate Courses will be running at the Cairns Campus and Townsville Campus for 12 weeks. They usually start the second week of each University semester. The languages we aim to offer each semester are Chinese (Mandarin), French, German, Italian, Japanese and Spanish.
The classes can be held on any night of the week from Monday to Thursday commencing from 6.30pm to 8:30pm (2 hours). The nights and times will be confirmed on the registration page.
A minimum of seven (7) enrolments are required to conduct the class.
The fee per course is $380 (GST inclusive) and must be paid in full at the time of enrolment.
For more information, email our AML Team: AML@jcu.edu.au
We offer a Chinese course designed for beginners (and near beginners) as well as an intermediate course. In the beginner course we will cover common topics such as greetings, number related topics (phone numbers, price, time and dates), dinning and showing directions. It is a very conversational course with lots of opportunities for speaking and listening to help you with pronunciation and fluency. The origin of the Chinese characters are introduced as part of the Chinese cultures. Writing of characters are encouraged but not enforced in the course. Cultural aspects such as business etiquette are embedded into the relevant topics. Grammatically, word orders and question patterns are taught and practised as group activities. The goal of the course is to establish basic cultural and language knowledge for interested students and establish foundations for further study of Chinese. Students are also provided opportunities to read about everyday life in China life and also other Mandarin speaking areas such as Hong Kong, Taiwan and Singapore.
For more advanced students we also offer Chinese intermediate during which we continue to extend the skills learnt in the beginner Chinese course.
Italian is a beautiful language and one that you shall feel proud to master. In this course you will be given plenty of opportunities to practice your speaking skills but also develop your knowledge of the language through reading and composing sentences essential to everyday life communication. At the same time you will learn about the many fascinating aspects of Italian culture. Learning Italian at the Academy of Modern Languages is a great way to have fun, meet some new people and learn a new skill!. Allora ! Parliamo italiano!
If you are a beginner or would like to brush up the basics of your German, this course is for you. Starting with basic greetings and self-introduction it will cover topics applicable in real life situations, e.g. eating out, asking for directions, making a hotel reservation and shopping. You will be listening to authentic German speakers, doing some reading and writing exercises and practicing your pronunciation and fluency in mini-conversations. Cultural curiosities and authentic teaching materials will spice up your language learning. The course provides an insight into basic grammar topics such as nouns, verbs and their conjugation, some German cases, sentence structure and how to ask basic questions. You will be provided with extension activities and opportunities for revision and practice at home.
We offer a Japanese course for beginners as well as an intermediate course in Japanese. The beginner course is designed for people with no or very little knowledge of the target language and will cover practical daily conversation and travel phrases. It will be a very conversational course with lots of opportunities for role playing and language games to help you with pronunciation and fluency. A basic knowledge of Japanese writing systems and how to write Hiragana characters will be part of the course. The aspects of traditional and modern Japanese culture will also be integrated. There’s no need to buy a textbook and handouts will be provided. Come and experience the Japanese language and culture with fun atmosphere. The intermediate course follows on the work done in elementary and caters for students with various previous experience of learning Japanese.
Spanish is spoken in so many countries throughout the World. At the AML we offer both a beginner and an intermediate class. Our course offers a global approach to the teaching of Spanish language. In particular we draw specific attention to correct pronunciation and oral comprehension. Additional practice using audio and video, written material and handouts dedicated to reading and introducing the basics of grammatical structures will provide every student with a range of opportunities to develop their language skills in Spanish. Topics including history, culture and life in both Spain and Latin America will be addressed during our 12 week course. The course is about having fun with others who have a common interest in Spanish and all things Spanish. Intermediate Spanish is designed to build on the Elementary Spanish class and is for students who have had some experience in the Language, and/or in a Spanish speaking country or workplace or intend to spend some extended time in a Spanish speaking Country. Grammar is very much a focus, so this allows for further development of conversational skills. Use of colloquial expressions, verb conjugation and tense are important aspects of this level. Understanding what we want to say and reciprocally, understanding what we hear, is an important part of the Course.
This course is designed for beginners (or near beginners). Through the use of a variety of medias, you will be introduced to the French culture and the language. You will learn to construct sentences so you can ask and answer questions as well as understand a basic written text. You will have the opportunity to meet others and practice the pronunciation together to develop skills and friendships.
There will be no exam or assessment so you can learn and improve at your own pace in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere. In the intermediate course, you will have the opportunity to review your already acquired skills and further develop your knowledge of the language. You'll learn to express yourself in the past tense as well as in the future tense to allow a more accurate and easy interaction with French speaking individuals.
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture