You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Advanced Analytical Centre
- Association of Australian University Secretaries
- Australian Quantum & Classical Transport Physics Group
- Careers and Employability
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- Language and Culture Research Centre
- Marine Geophysics Laboratory
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- Planning and Performance
- Rapid Assessment Unit
- JCU Connect
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Tropical Sustainable Design Case Studies
- VAVS Home
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
Work Integrated Learning
- Work Integrated Learning
- Teacher Education for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People
- Becoming a Teacher
- Contact Us
- Research News
- Contact Us
- InPlace for Education
If you’re working with children or young people as part of your studies, you must complete a Working with Children Check before you begin your Work Integrated Learning (WIL). The Working with Children Check is a screening process that assesses your suitability to work with children and young people based on known disciplinary and police information.
All students undertaking a Work Integrated Learning subject within Queensland are required by law to hold a valid Blue Card or Exemption Card, issued by Blue Card Services Queensland.
Application or renewal process
Whether you’re applying for a new card or renewing a pre-existing card, you are to use the Blue Card Application form and follow the same process.
Note: It is an offence for a disqualified person to sign a Blue Card application form. Please see disqualified person definition on page 4 of the application form.
- Download a pre-filled Blue Card Application form here – Blue Card Application (PDF, 262 KB)
- Part A, B & C has been completed by the University.
- Complete Part D – Applicant’s Details on page 2.
- Visit the closest WIL Placement Unit with two current, original identification documents that collectively show your full name, date of birth and signature. The details on your identification documents must match the details provided in Part D.
- The WIL Placement Unit will complete part E and part F then submit the form on your behalf to Blue Card Services Queensland for processing.
- It can take up to 8 weeks for Blue Card Services Queensland to process your application/renewal.
- There is no fee for students.
- The card is valid for three years. It must be renewed at least one month prior to the expiry date to retain currency.
- It is your responsibility to maintain a current Blue Card throughout your course.
- It is also your responsibility to ensure your contact details are up-to-date with Blue Card Services. For example, if you change your address or phone number, you must contact Blue Card Services and provide your new details.
Exemption card application process
If you hold current Teacher Registration with the Queensland College of Teachers (QCT) you are by law required to apply for an exemption card prior to starting your placement. Reason being, the placement falls outside of your professional duties as a registered teacher.
- Download a pre-filled Exemption Card application form here – Exemption card application (PDF, 344 KB).
- Part B, C & D has been completed by the University.
- Complete Part A and Part E
- Visit the closest WIL Placement Unit with two current, original identification documents that collectively show your full name, date of birth and signature. The details on your identification documents must match the details provided in Part E.
- The WIL Placement Unit will complete part F and part G then submit the form on your behalf to Blue Card Services Queensland for processing.
- There is no fee for an exemption card.
- The exemption card remains valid as long as you remain a registered teacher.
- Registered teachers can commence Blue Card-related work after Blue Card Services have received their completed application for an exemption card.
If you already hold a current Blue Card or Exemption Card
If you already hold a Blue Card you must advise Blue Card Services Queensland when you are undertaking child-related activities with a new or additional organisation (in this case JCU) by completing a 'Link an applicant/cardholder to this organisation' form.
- Download a pre-filled 'Link an applicant/cardholder to this organisation form' here – Link an applicant or cardholder to this organisation (PDF, 300 KB)
- Part C and D has been completed by the University.
- Complete Part A, B and Part E.
- Visit the closest WIL Placement Unit with two current, original identification documents that collectively show your full name, date of birth and signature. The details on your identification documents must match the details provided in Part A.
- The WIL Placement Unit will complete part F then submit the form on your behalf to Blue Card Services Queensland for processing.
You will be asked to sign in part B in the presence of a staff member from the placement unit. The WIL Placement Unit will complete part C, D and E then submit the form on your behalf to yellow Card Services Queensland for processing.
It can take up to 8 weeks for Yellow Card Services Queensland to process your application/renewal. There is no fee for students.
Criminal History Check
Some organisations require that students undertake a criminal history check before they commence placement. If they ask you to provide a criminal history check, please find out from the organisation what type of criminal history check they require. For example, a Queensland criminal history check or a national criminal history check. Please be aware that unless the organisation pays the cost of this check, you will need to pay the fee for this check.
To apply for a criminal history check, you need to go to your local police station. You’ll need to provide identification, such as a current driver licence, passport or other photo ID, and pay an application fee.
Information about fees and process is available here.
Can’t get to the Cairns or Townsville campus?
If you cannot have your identification sighted by the WIL Placement Unit because either:
- you reside more than 50km outside of Cairns or Townsville campuses
- have a disability affecting mobility.
As part of the Working with Children (Risk Management Screening) Act 2000, you can have your identity sighted by a prescribed person and submit your application via email or post to us.
The definition of a prescribed person is:
a Justice of the Peace, Commissioner for Declarations, Lawyer or Police Officer.
Please follow the instructions below carefully:
- Download the Confirmation of Identity form here – Confirmation of Identity (PDF, 129 KB).
- Complete Part A.
- Present the Confirmation of Identity form along with your Blue/Exemption Card or 'Link application form to the prescribed person', request they complete Part B and Part C.
- Email or post to the WIL Placement Unit to finalise and submit on your behalf to Blue Card Services Queensland for processing.
- If possible, please attach a photocopy of the documents sighted for verification purposes (excluding credit or bank cards).
For further information please refer to the Blue Card Services website.
Completing placement outside of Queensland
Australian States and Territories have different requirements for working with youth or vulnerable people (of any age or circumstances). Please check with your State’s or Territory’s requirements. Compliance with your State or Territory law is mandatory. If you plan to complete Work Integrated Learning interstate, please email email@example.com and provide them with your details so they can support you in meeting that State’s or Territory’s requirements.
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture