Current Research Students
Access to Forms and Guides
- HDR Student Go to Guide (Current handbook that provides useful and important information for Higher Degree Research Students i.e. PhD EdD and MPhil. Note that this guide is subject to change without prior notification). Note: This guide is currently being updated, please email email@example.com if you have any questions.
For key Candidature forms e.g. HDR Confirmation of Candidature Research Proposal Proforma, HDR Mid-Candidature Review, HDR Pre-Completion Evaluation Form. Visit the Graduate Research School Forms and Template.
- Framework for Successful Postgraduate Research (Indicators for Success) (PDF, 285 KB)
- Role Perception Rating Scale - Managing Supervision Expectations (PDF, 143 KB)
Candidature - Making Changes or Updates
Variation of Candidature:
- Add or Remove Coursework Subjects (PDF, 366 KB)
- Thesis Title, Advisory Team Membership, Course Transfer, Course Withdrawal (PDF, 246 KB)
- Domestic Mileage Claim Form (PDF, 132 KB)
- Student Support Fund Application (PDF, 204 KB)
- Travel Request Form (Non-Staff) (PDF, 962 KB)
Nomination of Thesis Examiners
Nomination of Masters Examiners Form (All Course Types)
Visit the Graduate Research School Forms and Template to access the Progress Report form. The completion of this form is mandatory and is to be done annually for the period of Candidature.
Research Data Management
The Australian Code for the Responsible Conduct of Research to which JCU is a signatory, requires all Universities to provide a secure data storage and record keeping facility. The Code also outlines researchers’ responsibilities to manage research data. Researchers are required to keep clear, accurate records of research methods/data and are obligated to retain, store and catalogue their data while maintaining confidentiality where necessary. As of 1 September 2009, JCU passed the Code for the Responsible Conduct of Research which has been adapted from the aforementioned National Code.
It is important to note that while the student owns the copyright to their research material, it is still Education’s responsibility to help the student ensure that data and primary materials are stored appropriately. As part of the 2014 introduction of the ‘New PhD @ JCU’ the Graduate Research School is currently in the process of developing what will be a compulsory data management plan for all HDR students. Please ensure you regularly check the Graduate Research School Homepage for new updates.
In order to comply with new data management policy, Education requires all new HDR students, under the guidance of the Primary Advisor, to complete and submit a data management plan to the School along with other documents required during the Confirmation of Candidature process. The data management plan is to be reviewed yearly. In case of amendments, an updated data management plan should be submitted to the supervisory team and then forwarded to the School.
For more information pertaining to Research Data Management please see:
- Data Management Record Template. Please contact the College of Arts, Society and Education via firstname.lastname@example.org for a copy of an Excel Spreadsheet template to assist Researchers in the on-going management of their Research Data
- Research Student and Supervisor Data Management Agreement This form is to be completed with the assistance of the Student’s Primary Advisor and returned to Education Research Data Management Officer via email@example.com.
- Statement of Authorship Education Researchers are to print, complete and return this form to firstname.lastname@example.org declaring the ‘Authorship’ of their research data
- Tropical Data Hub or https://espaces.edu.au/data-tools
- Framework for Consideration of Three (3) PhD Thesis Reports
- Framework for Consideration of Two (2) Masters Thesis Reports
- Framework for Consideration of Two (2) PhD Thesis Reports
- Summary Sheet for Masters by Research Thesis Examiners
- Summary Sheet for PhD Thesis Examiners