Bachelor of Tourism, Hospitality and Events Professional Practice Minor
- Future Students
- Current Students
- Research and Teaching
- Partners and Community
- About JCU
- Celebrating 50 Years
- Anton Breinl Research Centre
- Agriculture Technology and Adoption Centre
- Living on Campus
- Advanced Prawn Breeding Research Hub
- Advanced Analytical Centre
- Applying to JCU
- Australian/NZ Students
- Australian Lions Stinger Research
- Boating and Diving
- Australian Tropical Herbarium
- Careers at JCU
- Association of Australian University Secretaries
- Careers and Employability
- Australian Quantum & Classical Transport Physics Group
- Centre for Tropical Bioinformatics and Molecular Biology
College of Business, Law and Governance
- About Us
- Conflict Management and Resolution
- News, Partnerships and Events
- Student resources
- Contact us
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- College of Science and Engineering
- COVID-19 Advice
- Centre for Disaster Solutions
- Cyclone Testing Station
- The Centre for Disaster Studies
- Daintree Rainforest Observatory
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Discover Nature at JCU
- Division of Research and Innovation
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- Division of Tropical Health and Medicine
- Staff Intranet
- Economic Geology Research Centre
- Elite Athletes
- JCU Events
- Financial and Business Services Office
- Foundation for Australian Literary Studies
- Gender Equity Action and Research
- Give to JCU
- Information for JCU Cairns Graduates
- Graduate Research School
- JCU Ideas Lab
- Indigenous Education and Research Centre
- Indigenous Legal Needs Project
- IT Services
- International Schools
- International Students
- JCU College
- JCU Connect
- JCU Contact Information
- JCU Eduquarium
- JCU Global Experience
- JCU Motorsports
- JCU Prizes
- JCU Sport
- JCU Turtle Health Research
- Language and Culture Research Centre
- Marine Geophysics Laboratory
- New students
- Off-Campus Students
- Office of the Provost
- Office of the Vice Chancellor and President
- Virtual Open Day
- Outstanding Alumni Awards
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to university
- Planning and Performance
- Planning for your future
- Professional Experience Placement
- Queensland Research Centre for Peripheral Vascular Disease
- Rapid Assessment Unit
- Researcher Development Portal
- Safety and Wellbeing
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Contextual Science for Tropical Coastal Ecosystems
- State of the Tropics
- Strategic Procure to Pay
- Student Equity and Wellbeing
- Student profiles
- TQ Maths Hub
- Unicare Centre and Unicampus Kids
- VAVS Home
- Work Health and Safety
- WHOCC for Vector-borne & NTDs
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- Masters webinar
If you’re keen to work in tourism, hospitality and or events, you’ll know how important it is to earn your Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA) certification, hygiene certification, barista certification and COVID-Safe certification, which are all necessary to work in the food and beverage industry. This Professional Practice Minor will earn you certifications in all of these areas thanks to JCU’s collaboration with TAFE Queensland and OPERA.
As part of this Minor, you will also learn how to use OPERA, which is one of the world’s leading property management systems. This will give you the skills to make reservations and handle billing, as well as teaching you valuable customer service and front office skills.
Whether you’re new to the tourism industry, keen to forge a career in the hospitality and events management sector, or you’re already a part of the industry and looking to upskill, this Minor will equip you with the skills you need to succeed.
The subjects included in the Professional Practice Minor will help you clarify your career opportunities, and provide you with the career tools you need to be a desirable candidate for a wide range of tourism jobs.
Choose the following subjects and earn a Professional Practice Minor in Tourism, Hospitality and Events. Or take these subjects as electives and earn work-ready certificates in Responsible Service of Alcohol, Barista, Food Safety and COVID Safety.
TO2118:03 Professional Practice 1
In this subject, you will earn certificates in Barista, Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA); Hygiene (HACCP); and COVID-19 food service. This will get you work-ready for the hospitality and tourism industry.
TO2119:03 Professional Practice 2
Learning how to operate the OPERA Property Management System, where you can make reservations and handle billing, is the focus of this subject. You will also learn valuable customer service and front office skills to prepare you for a career in hospitality and tourism.
TO3154:03 Learning Integrated Work 1
This subject will equip you with the skills necessary to gain employment in hotels, resorts, luxury day spas, restaurants, casinos and the travel and tourism industry. Further, it will help you clarify your career opportunities, enhance your employability skills and provide you with the career tools you need to be work-ready.
TO3155:03 Learning Integrated Work 2
Enjoying work-integrated learning as part of this subject will give you professional experience in the workplace aligned with reflective learning. You will gain valuable hands-on industry experience and have the opportunity to develop your skills and knowledge through making the most of work-based and project-management opportunities.
Work with premier industry partners
Thanks to JCU’s established relationships with premier industry partners, you will have access to internships, field trips, career advice, mentorship, panel discussions, guest speakers, networking events and job opportunities. These industry partners include Accor International; Riley, Crystalbrook Collection Resort; Shangri-La Hotel, The Marina, Cairns; Cairns Convention Centre; Down Under Tours; Bad Fishy Jet Boating; Cairns Boat Hire and Cairns Super Yachts; The CaPTA Group; Bailey, A Crystalbrook Collection Hotel; Chamber of Commerce; Reef Information Visitor Centre and Destination Cairns Marketing; Advance Cairns; Tourism Tropical North Queensland; Study Cairns; Frontier Education; TAFE Queensland; YouStudy International College; SKAL International; Ochre Restaurant and Catering; Prawn Star; and Piccolo Cucina.
You will earn 3 credits per subject towards your degree. There are no additional fees for the certifications, it is included in the tuition fee. If you complete all 4 subjects, you will earn a BTHE Professional Practice Minor and be ready to work in the tourism, hospitality and events industry.
For further information on the BTHE Professional Practice Minor, please email Enrolments.
Want to go further?
If undertaking this Professional Practice Minor fuels your passion for the tourism, hospitality and events industry, consider enrolling in the Bachelor of Tourism, Hospitality and Events degree.
If you wish to continue your studies after completing the Bachelor of Tourism, Hospitality and Events degree, JCU also offers the Master of International Tourism and Hospitality Management, which will equip you to address complex issues unique to your chosen industry.