You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- JCU Connect
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
Nursing and Midwifery FAQs
JCU's Student Centre is the number one contact point for student enquiries, with staff on hand to provide advice on courses, enrolment, subjects, fees, support services, scholarships, exams and directions. For Nursing and Midwifery specific questions, refer to the FAQs below.
Can I change attendance mode?
The attendance mode of a subject defines how the subject is studied. Subjects in nursing may be offered in the following attendance modes:
- Internal: Requires on campus attendance.
- External: No on-campus attendance is required.
- Limited attendance: Requires limited on-campus attendance for clinical practice subjects, known as residentials.
How can I change my enrolment?
You can manage your enrolment online through eStudent. This online system allows you to enrol in and withdraw from subjects for the current calendar year. You can enrol online up until the end of Week 1 of the Study Period.
If you do not have self-management of the subject (not able to manage your enrolment online), you will need to email your Divisional Enrolment Team for them to action your request.
What if I need help enrolling/using eStudent?
There is eStudent Online Help available on each page of eStudent in the top-right hand corner. If you need more help, you can:
Where can I find the pre-placement requirements?
You can find all the mandatory requirements on the Preparing for Professional Experience Placement website and go to the Nursing and Midwifery Preparation Checklists and follow all the directions. Alternatively you can ring the Professional Placement Unit : Cairns: 07 4232 1065 or Townsville: 07 4781 4697.
Where is the Year Planner for Nursing and Midwifery students?
Specific placement and teaching information can be found on the NM Year Planner which can be found on the Nursing and Midwifery checklist webpage under the Calendar menu option on the right hand side.
How do I apply for a leave of absence?
Students can submit an online application for a leave of absence. However, to be eligible for a leave of absence you need to ensure you meet the following:
- Your program allows a leave of absence (check your Degree Requirements on the Handbook website)
- You have previously incurred fees for a subject under the same course
- Your course status is 'admitted' and not 'withdrawn'.
You need to ensure that after you have taken leave you will still be able to complete your degree within the maximum time allowed. You should particularly check this if you have studied part time or have failed any subjects. To view your degree requirements, go to the Handbook website.
If approved, you can take your leave for a future study period. Any currently enrolled subjects in future study periods that overlap the approved leave period will be automatically withdrawn once your leave of absence is applied.
During your leave of absence you will continue to have access to your JCU email, StudentsOnline and eStudent. You may continue to enrol for subjects commencing after this period of leave.
What is a study plan?
A study plan is a summary of the subject requirements of your course and indicates when planned subjects should be studied. It indicates the subjects you have completed; are currently enrolled in; plan to study in the future; and those for which you have been granted advanced standing (credit for previous studies).
How do I request an extension on my assignment?
To apply for an extension for the submission of an assignment, you need to complete the College online application form to apply for an extension. Once completed and submitted, your Subject Coordinator will contact you with the outcome.
NM Student Support
Please also visit our Nursing and Midwifery Student Support website for further information.
Contact a Nursing and Midwifery Advisor
If your questions aren't answered above, you can contact a Nursing and Midwifery Advisor via our online contact form.
If you do not have a JCU email address, please click here to submit your question to our support team.
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture