College of Healthcare Sciences Occupational Therapy Occupational Therapy Student Support

Apply now

Occupational Therapy Student Support

University study can be challenging. We understand that our students need support to reach their potential – whether it's academic support or personal support. The following resources will assist you to successfully navigate your way through your Occupational Therapy studies.

Occupational Therapy is a health profession that offers support and advice for children and adults who are having difficulties with their everyday living skills. Occupational Therapists (OT’s) work with individuals with any condition or impairment that affects their ability to perform everyday activities such as self-care, safety in the home, play and social skills, as well as their ability to attend and engage in the workforce, community or school.

Visit our Occupational Therapy website to find out more about who we are and what we do.

Occupational Therapy (OT) Assistance Directory - Who Do I Contact?
Refer to the Occupational Therapy Assistance Directory for current roles and contacts.

College Student Support Officers 
College Student Support Officers provide personalised support to students in targeted courses or disciplines within each College. Support officers work with students to: Identify ways to succeed at university; Connect students to relevant services, and Help students attain their educational goals. Make an appointment with your CSSO by emailing or find us on Skype at dthmstudentsupport.

Ask Us - 24/7
If you have a question, check out AskUs – it’s a 24/7 online enquiry database with more than 1,000 commonly asked questions.

Student Services 
The Student Centre is your number one point of contact. Our staff will provide advice on your enrolment, subjects, fees, support services, scholarships, exams and even directions!  Ask a question - submit a question to our student support team.

Professional experience placement (PEP) is a crucial and formal component of all health science courses. Placement prepares you for registration and/or accreditation as a professional in your field and supports you to be 'work ready' when you leave university.

During your placement you will go out into the workforce to apply and practise the skills and knowledge you've gained at JCU. These workplace-based clinical and practical education experiences might occur in facilities on or away from campus.

Visit the Professional Experience Placement website for preparation checklists and guidelines.

Subject LibGuides 
The Occupational Therapy LibGuide is an online guide for Occupational Therapy students and staff at JCU. It will help you find the information you need to complete your assignments and research.

Occupational Therapy Liaison Librarians 
The JCU Library provides liaison librarians for all of the major discipline areas. You can use this form to ask us a question, get help or request an appointment with your liaison librarian.

Visit the CHS Student Resources website for information specific to Occupational Therapy students:

  • Student Handbooks
  • Flexible Delivery Student Resources
  • College Forms

You can manage most of your enrolment online by following a few easy steps. The JCU Enrolment website is your hub for all your enrolment needs – from enrolling, registering for classes, withdrawing, changing course, updating your personal details, taking a break from your studies and more…

Contact your Enrolment Team (Health and Medicine) for further assistance - email

The Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA) is the organisation responsible for the implementation of the National Registration and Accreditation Scheme across Australia. Each health profession that is part of the National Registration and Accreditation Scheme is represented by a National Board.

The functions of the Occupational Therapy Board of Australia (OTBA) include:

  • developing standards, codes and guidelines for the Occupational Therapy profession
  • approving accreditation standards and accredited courses of study
  • registering Occupational Therapy practitioners and students.

OTBA codes and guidelines:

AHPRA guidelines:

The textbook requirements for each subject are available online approximately two months prior to the course start date at the Co-op Bookshop (search by campus and subject code).

Students can order online and click and collect texts from the Co-op on-campus in Townsville or Cairns, or have delivered to your home address. The Co-op also offer a student textbook buyback scheme for those textbooks you no longer need.

Students may also find used copies of textbooks via online bookshops such as StudentVIP. It is important that you purchase the correct current edition of the text.

The JCU Library has limited copies of all prescribed textbooks available for 2 day loans.

At JCU, all students are entitled to the best possible learning experience.

The JCU Learning Centre offers online and face-to-face access to academic learning development. On this site you will find a wide range of self-help resources, information about workshops and how to request personalised advice. Whether you are looking for assistance with time management, mathematics, basic statistics, planning your assignment, editing your academic communication, The Learning Centre is your ‘one-stop-shop’ for academic learning development.

Use our online contact form to enquire about Learning Centre services and resources, or to request help for a particular assignment or task.

Going to uni isn't just about assignments and exams. At JCU we want your whole university experience to be a happy and healthy one – so tap into as many support services as you can and know your rights!  Visit the JCU Student Support website for help.