You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- JCU Connect
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
Physiotherapy at JCU
The Discipline of Physiotherapy at JCU prepares high quality graduates for all areas of practice. Our particular focus is on rural and remote health.
What is Physiotherapy?
Physiotherapists are health professionals whose primary focus is the restoration of function to improve quality of life. They assess and diagnose problems with human function and movement, then plan and administer treatment programs to restore function or minimise dysfunction due to illness, disease, ageing or injury.
They use a combination of manual therapy, movement training, exercise prescription, electrotherapy and education. For patients recovering from serious injury or disability, the physiotherapist is a vital health professional whose treatment can mean the difference between dependence and independence.
Physiotherapists treat people of all ages: children with developmental delay, sportspeople returning to the game after an injury or surgery, and assisting people to walk after a stroke. They also play an important role in preventative health.
Physiotherapy is a growing profession and is in high demand, particularly in rural and remote areas and in Indigenous communities. Physiotherapists work in a variety of settings including hospitals, rehabilitation units, community health centres, schools, research, organisational and occupational health units, aged care services, the defence force, private practice and sports medicine clinics.
Students in the Program will experience a range of exciting and challenging learning opportunities.
A high proportion of teaching will take place in small groups, including practical workshops and tutorial activities. Additionally, extensive clinical placements in a variety of settings will be completed, the majority in the third and fourth years of the program.
These placements, under the supervision of qualified Physiotherapists, will provide hands-on experience of working with individuals and groups in a variety of settings. This will involve travel to locations in North Queensland and beyond.
An in-course Honours program will be offered to those students who demonstrate high academic performance in the first and second years of the program. This program will commence in the third year of the undergraduate degree, allowing students to develop a research project during the third and fourth years. This culminates in a formal presentation of the research results and a thesis at the end of the fourth year.
JCU also offers a Graduate Honours program as a full-time or part-time course, to both internal and external students.
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture