You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- College of Arts, Society and Education
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- JCU Connect
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
AASP 2019 Scientific Program
Townsville Venue: 025.001 - Map
Cairns Venue (Video Conference - 10am-5pm): A4.105 - Map
Singapore Venue (Video Conference - 8am-3pm Singapore time): Day 1 A3.01; Day 2 C4.14 - Map
ZOOM link information:
- +61 8 7150 1149 (AU Toll)
- +61 2 8015 2088 (AU Toll)
- +65 3165 1065 (SG Toll)
- +65 3158 7288 (SG Toll)
- International numbers available: https://zoom.us/u/aYckweoB
- Meeting ID: 233 130 753
Book of Abstracts
Day 1 - 28 June, 2019
Japanese Taiko Drumming by St Mary Margarete College, Townsville, Australia
Conference Opening Address
Professor Dean Jerry; James Cook University, Singapore
From everyday life to social change: The role of the scholar activist.
Professor Darrin Hodgetts, University of Massey, New Zealand.
The effect of work stressors, stress recovery and work-family conflict on employee wellbeing and burnout.
Martina Mae Schlittler & Doctor Divjyot Kaur, James Cook University, Singapore.
Understanding the Underserved through an Action Learning Project.
Associate Professor Wendy Li, Megan Balgue, Renee Ericksen & Danielle Smallacombe, James Cook University, Townsville, Australia.
Systematic Review and Meta-analysis of risk factors of the forgotten parent.
Doctor Jasleen Chhabra, Associate Professor Wendy Li, Professor Brett McDermott, James Cook University, Townsville, Australia.
Positive psychology for the underprivileged: Lessons from the tropics.
Professor Annalakshmi Narayanan, Bharathiar University, India.
Exploring Explicit & Implicit Attitudes towards Mental Illness-A Study of Psychology and Non-psychology students.
Sri Valli C & Doctor Smita Singh, James Cook University, Singapore.
Keeping our relationship blooming in adversity: Interpretative phenomenological study of socio-political stressors and long-term relationship resilience in gay men in Singapore.
Muhamad Alif Bin Ibrahim & Doctor Joanna Barlas, James Cook University, Singapore.
Understanding Chinese Dying in North Queensland: Developing a Chinese Palliative Care Cultural Competence Education Resource Toolkit.
Quan Zhou, Townsville Hospital & Flinders University, Australia.
Day 2 - 29 June, 2019
|Registration and Morning Tea|
Community Resilience and Unity in Disasters: Townsville Intercultural Conversations 2019.
Acknowledgement: Townsville Mayor’s Community Assistance Fund.
Chair: Ms Donna-Maree Maxwell
10:00-10:15 Chinese lion dancing
10:15-12:00 Community Presentations:
Refugee mental health and community attitudes towards refugees.
Associate Professor Wendy Li, James Cook University, Townsville, Australia.
Testing the newly developed Relationship Self-Sabotage Scale on a sample of English-speaking Asians.
Raquel Peel, Associate Professor Nerina Caltabiano, Doctor Beryl Buckby, & Doctor Kerry McBain, James Cook University, Townsville, Australia.
A Literature Review – The Challenges Faced by International University Students: Retention, Mental Health, and Related Factors.
Doctor Timothy Leow, Townsville Hospital, Australia.
University Wellbeing Programme - Positive Psychology Interventions integrated into University Classes.
Tarli Young, The University of Queensland, Australia.
Non-Fatal Deliberate Self-Harm in three remote Indigenous communities of Far North Queensland.
Chris Rouen, James Cook University, Cairns, Australia.
|16:15-16:25||Best Student Paper Award|
Conference Closing Address
A population-based approach to Mental Health: the Townsville Mentally Healthy City Project.
Professor Brett McDermott, James Cook University, Townsville, Australia.
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture