Associate Professor & Head of Pathology
Adjunct Professor of Pathology, Manipal University, Manipal India
Research Fellow, JCU Cairns Institute.
B.Sc, MBBS, MD (Pathology), GCTT, PG Cert. Health Services Management. MBA in Educational Leadership.
- Medical Education Crisis: Problems, predictions, suggestions & discussion.
- One-Man army - “Teaching Pathology using Technology Enhanced Cognitive Scaffolding” in a rural medical school.
- In-class instant assessment using Electronic Student Response System.
- “Winners Club” – concept for supporting and motivating weak students.
- “Authors Club” – Motivating students to excel.
- Digital Pathology Laboratory – For teaching pathology in distributed rural medical school.
- Dynamic, student centred remote teaching of pathology using flash based interactive online lectures with assessment.
- Innovative curriculum and delivery using Clinically Integrated teaching of basic sciences through Blended Adaptive Integrated Learning (BAIL) in preclinical years of undergraduate medicine.
Field of Interest
Medical Education, Pathology Education, Distance & Flexible Education, Tele-Pathology.
- Young Pathologist of the year Award (Gordon Signey Foreign Fellowship) by World Pathology Foundation (1991). 1991
- Faculty Citations for Outstanding contributions to student learning. James Cook University. 2011
- National ALTC (Australian Learning & Teaching Council) award – citation for outstanding contribution to students learning. For Innovative Pathology Teaching in a Rural Med School. 2011. OLT website,
JCU Media coverage on Teaching Innovations: Videos
- UniQuest Trailblazer Australian University Innovations Award for innovations in teaching technologies. James Cook University. 2010 (Finalist) & 2011(Award).
Professional body affiliations
- Foreign Fellow Member, College of American Pathologists. (FFCAP) 2009
- Associate Fellow Member, Royal Australasian College of Pathologists (RCPA) 2014
- Member, Royal Australasian College of Medical Educators (RACMA) 2005
- Member, Group for Research in Pathology Education (GRIPE) 2009
Personal social media links
Wordpress : https://vmshashi.wordpress.com/
Facebook : www.facebook.com/vmshashi
Linkedin : http://www.linkedin.com/in/vmshashi
Slideshare : http://www.slideshare.net/vmshashi
Academia.edu : https://jamescook.academia.edu/vmshashi
Professional body Affiliations
- Foreign Fellow Member – American Society of Clinical Pathologists. (FFASCP)
- Affiliate member – College of American Pathologists. (CAP)
- Member, Royal College of Pathologists of Australasia. (RCPA)
- Member Royal Australasian College of Medical Educators (RACMA)
Dr. Shashidhar is a senior academic Pathologist working in teaching and research for over 30 years. His special interest is in medical pedagogy, rural medical education & technology in teaching. Recently he has been appointed as Adjuct professor of Pathology and Post graduate examiner for research in medical education at Manipal University, India. He is research fellow at JCU Cairns Institute of Research & AITHM (Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine). He is member of several research teams. His recent research work is in molecular signals in macrophage function, carcinogenesis & diabetes in collaboration with diabetes research team at JCU, Townsville.
Recent publications: (selected)
- Experience with Problem Based Learning in MBBS course at Fiji School of Medicine Venkatesh M. Shashidhar, Joseph Flear, Neel Kamal Arora, Kamal Kishore and Sunita D. Pawar. Fiji Medical Journal Vol 1:2 2005. Main Author.
- The role of relaxed natural selection against colorblindness in producing extreme variation in X-chromosome photopigment gene number and sequence among individuals with normal color vision [Abstract]. Journal of Vision, 4(11), 53a, http://journalofvision.org/4/11/53/, doi:10.1167/4.11.53.Gunther, K. L., Bojar, J. A., Harrison, G. L. A., Shashidhar, V. M., Pawar, S. D., Neitz, J., & Neitz, M. (2004).
- Management of Obesity in the Elderly: Too much and Too Late?. RL.Kennedy, U.Malabu, M. Kazi, V. Shashidhar. The Journal of Nutrition, Health & Aging. (2008 Accepted for Publication).
- Free fatty acid receptors: emerging targets for treatment of diabetes and its complications" Therapeutic Advances in Endocrinology and Metabolism. October 2010 vol. 1 no. 4 165-175.
- Teaching pathology via online digital microscopy: Positive learning outcomes for rurally based medical students. Aust. J. Rural Health (2011) 19, 45–51. Sundram Sivamalai, Shashidhar Venkatesh Murthy, Tarun Sen Gupta and Torres Woolley. School of Medicine and Dentistry, James Cook University, Queensland, Australia.
- Hydroxyoctadecadienoic acids regulate apoptosis in human THP-1 cells in a PPARγ-dependent manner. (PMID:25330944) Vangaveti VN, Shashidhar VM, Rush C, Malabu UH, Rasalam RR, Collier F, Baune BT, Kennedy RL Lipids [2014, 49(12):1181-1192].