Position Research Associate, Heart, Trauma and Sepsis Research Laboratory
Qualifications BSc. Grad Dip (Research Methods). PhD Candidate.
+61 7 47815042
Since 2007 under the mentorship of Professor Geoffrey Dobson I have been developing a small-volume resuscitation fluid as a frontline defence for haemorrhagic shock, traumatic brain injury, battlefield trauma, sepsis, and prevention of inflammation, coagulopathy and infection during surgery. I have developed and worked with in vivo rat and porcine models of haemorrhage, trauma, sepsis, traumatic brain injury, and cardiac arrest, and having ongoing collaborations with Aarhus University Hospital, Denmark; Trauma Research Center, University of Colorado, Denver; US Naval Medical Research Center (NMRC); US Special Operations Command (SOCOM); Orthopaedic Research Institute of Queensland (ORIQL); and Institute of Health and Biomedical Innovation, QUT, Brisbane.
1. Dobson GP, Letson HL. Adenosine, Lidocaine and Mg2+ (ALM): From Cardiac Surgery to Combat Casualty Care: Teaching Old Drugs New Tricks. J Trauma 2016, 80(1):135-45
2. Dobson GP, Letson HL, Sharma R, Sheppard FR, Cap AP. Mechanisms of Early Traumatic-Induced Coagulopathy (TIC): The Clot Thickens or Not? J Trauma 2015, 79(2):301-9
3. Letson HL, Dobson GP. Correction of Acute Traumatic Coagulopathy with Small-Volume ALM Resuscitation Occurs within 5 Minutes: A ROTEM Analysis. J Trauma 2015, 78(4):773-83
4. Granfeldt A, Letson HL, Dobson GP, Shi WW, Vinten-Johansen J, Tonnesen E. Treatment with adenosine, lidocaine and Mg2+ During Endotoxemia Induces Reversible Hypotension, Improves Cardiac and Pulmonary Function and Exert Anti-Inflammatory Effects. Anaesthesiology May 2014 (Accepted for publication)
5. Granfeldt A, Letson HL, Hyldebrandt JA, Wang ER, Salcedo PA, Neilsen TK, Tonnesen E, Vinten-Johansen J, Dobson GP. Small-Volume 7.5% NaCl Adenosine, Lidocaine and Mg2+ Has Multiple Benefits During Hypotensive and Blood Resuscitation in the Pig Following Severe Blood Loss: Rat to Pig Translation. Crit Care Med 2014, 42(5):e329-44
6. Dobson GP, Letson HL, Tadaki D. The Bellamy Challenge. JRAMC 2014, 160(1):9-15
7. Letson HL, Pecheniuk N, Mhango L, Dobson GP. Reversal of acute coagulopathy with hypotensive resuscitation using small-volume 7.5% NaCl Adenocaine and Mg2+ in the rat model of severe hemorrhagic shock. Crit Care Med 2012, 40(8):2417-22
8. Letson HL, Dobson GP. Unexpected 100% Survival following 60% Blood Loss using Small-Volume 7.5% NaCl with Adenocaine and Mg2+ in the rat model of Extreme Hemorrhagic Shock. Shock 2011, 36(6):586-94
9. Letson HL, Dobson GP. Ultra-small intravenous bolus of 7.5% NaCl/Mg2+ with adenosine and lidocaine improves early resuscitation outcome in the rat after severe hemorrhagic shock in vivo. J Trauma 2011, 71(3):708-19
10. Letson HL, Dobson GP. Small volume 7.5% NaCl with dextran-70 or 6% and 10% hetastarch are associated with arrhythmias and death after 60 minutes of severe hemorrhagic shock in the rat in vivo. J Trauma 2011, 70(6):1444-52