You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
- About JCUJCU Connect
- Cairns Institute External
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
- Why JCU?
- Arts and Social Sciences
- Biomedical Sciences
- Environmental Management
- Health Studies
- Information Technology
- Marine Science
- Nursing and Midwifery
- Occupational Therapy
- Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Social Work
- Speech Pathology
- Sport and Exercise Science
- Veterinary Science
Course by level
Cities, campuses and study centres
- Services and support
- QTAC Packaged Offers
- International Students
Fees and Financial Support
Exams & Results
- Student forms
The Learning Centre
- Learning Centre Services
- Getting Started
- Peer Assisted Study Sessions
- Develop Your English
- Maths and Statistics
- Short Courses and Workshops
- Downloads and Booklets
- Safe work and study at JCU
Research and Teaching
I want to...
About JCU Research
- Research Performance
Research Centres and Institutes
- Division of Research & Innovation
- Celebrating Research @JCU
- JCU Research Contacts
- Master's by Research
- Fees and Scholarships
- I want to...
Partners and Community
- Physician Assistant
- All courses
- Current research
- Recent publications
- Grant Applications
- Research Support Team
- Student Support Program
- Research Ethics
News & Events
- Professional Development
JCU Orthodontic Clinic
James Cook University's (JCU) state-of-the-art Orthodontic Clinic offers orthodontic treatment for children, adolescents and adults. We use the latest in advanced technology to provide comprehensive diagnosis and treatment.
How we can help you
We can light up your smile with the following treatments available at our 15-chair state-of-the-art clinic:
- Fixed braces – full upper and lower fixed braces.
- Clear aligners that straighten teeth without noticeable metal wires and brackets.
- Preventative orthodontic treatments that are primarily designed for primary school aged children and aim to prevent problems relating to thumb sucking, early removal of baby teeth and bite issues.
As part of JCU’s Graduate Diploma of Orthodontic course, JCU offers members of the community an opportunity to receive orthodontic care from fully qualified general dental practitioners who are undertaking the Graduate Diploma of Orthodontics. All our services are supervised by experts.
Please note, orthodontic treatment by a student may take a little longer than receiving treatment from an experienced professional.
The initial orthodontic consultation is free. If you are suitable for treatment you will be provided with a quote during the consultation.
Approximate treatment costs:
- Fixed braces $2,950*
- Aligners $4,000*
- Preventative orthodontic treatments $1,000 - $1,500*
*Costs are approximate and vary depending on treatment required.
Make an appointment
Are you are interested in becoming a patient at the JCU Orthodontic Clinic? Please read the information below before contacting us.
To be considered as a patient, the following is required:
- You must not have received a consultation by an orthodontist in the last 12 months
- You must not have had previous orthodontic treatment
- You must not currently be undergoing orthodontic treatment by any specialist orthodontist/dentist
- The complexity of the orthodontic treatment must fall within the range of what is considered suitable for a general dental clinician who is learning enhanced skills. This will be determined by the clinical supervisor and it is based on the Index of Orthodontic Treatment Need (IOTN) criteria
If you meet the pre-requisite patient criteria above, you will be invited to attend a complimentary 10-minute orthodontic consultation with a senior staff member to determine if you are suitable for orthodontic treatment at JCU. If you have had a recent panoramic x-ray taken, please bring it with you.
If your case is deemed unsuitable due to its complexity, you will be provided with a referral letter to a registered specialist orthodontist.
Contact us to book your free no obligation consultation today
Phone: 1800 050 763
Address: James Cook University, 14-88 McGregor Road, Smithfield QLD 4878
About our students
All Graduate Diploma of Orthodontics students are fully qualified general dental practitioners with Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA) registration. The Graduate Diploma of Orthodontics is a two-year program, which teaches general dental practitioners enhanced skills and knowledge in orthodontics. This course is not designed to lead to specialist registration as an orthodontist.
Registered general dentists in Australia are licensed to provide all types of dental care for their patients, including the treatment and prevention of crooked or irregular teeth (which is known as ‘orthodontic care’). Some specialist dentists, called ‘orthodontists’, have advanced qualifications and special registration in caring for irregular teeth. Patients with more complicated or technically challenging dental problems are typically treated by specialist orthodontists.
All of our supervisors are leading experts in orthodontics with Australian and international experience. Supervisors are registered specialists orthodontists and internationally-trained orthodontic academics with special-purpose (AHPRA) registration.
Research to advance the field of orthodontics is also important. As part of their educational experience, students complete a systematic review of the research evidence on a particular topic in the field of orthodontics.
Orthodontic research interests include:
- Orthodontic tooth movement
- Orthodontic root resorption
- Contemporary functional appliances
- Public health
- Obstructive sleep apnea in children
Helping the community
JCU is committed to meeting the needs of the communities we serve through graduates and discoveries that make a difference. Better oral health is part of that commitment. We have a special interest in improving oral health for people of the tropics, rural and remote communities and Aboriginal peoples and Torres Strait Islanders.
One of the ways we do this is by training the next generation of dentists, locally. In addition, JCU provides qualified dentists from all over Australia with the extra skills and knowledge that they need to provide the best possible care for their patients. That includes orthodontic care.