You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- College of Arts, Society and Education
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- JCU Connect
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
- Student Resources
Research Immersion Program
The Research Immersion Program run by the Discipline of Biomedicine at James Cook University (JCU) is unique opportunities for senior high school students in the Townsville and Far North Queensland Region to experience first-hand cutting edge scientific research.
The absence of visible large scale scientific industry in North Queensland, is a significant contributor to the lack of community awareness and engagement with scientific discovery and career paths. Our aim is therefore to enhance dissemination of scientific information and activities in regional Queensland. Working with research intensive academic staff at JCU will provide opportunities for students to conduct biomedical research first hand. This approach allows students to engage in enquiry and discovery.
Scientists and students will work side by side to promote real world applications of STEM learning, engaging students in cutting edge research practices. This represents a unique opportunity to engage school communities with the dynamic world of biomedical research. It is then up to the students to determine the significance of the findings, and discuss the importance of experimental design, controls, reproducibility and unexpected results. The facilities the students will use encompasses a mixture of biomedical research laboratories, outfitted with modern research equipment.
To further promote excellence and innovation in biomedical research, the parents and teachers will be invited during the final day of the program to hear the students present the work undertaken during the project.
More about the program
Who is the program for? Senior high school science students from North Queensland.
What is the program? It is a 5 day research project, where students conduct biomedical research with scientists.
When is the program? 9th July – 13th July, during school holidays. (Link to schedule)
How do I apply? Follow the links below to register expression of interest for the program.
Expression of Interest for 2018:
- Contact your Schools Head of Science Department for nomination.
- Fill in all the forms below.
- Send forms back to JCU Biomedicine via your Schools Head of Science.
Please note: each school is allowed to nominate up to 3 senior high school students.
- Experience Agreement (click to download)
Future Education at JCU
For all enquiries email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture