Bachelor of Creative Arts and Media
Bachelor of Creative Arts and Media
Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
Minimum English language proficiency requirements
Applicants of non-English speaking backgrounds must meet the English language proficiency requirements of Band 1 – Schedule II of the JCU Admissions Policy.
Academic Requirements for Course Completion
72 credit points as per course structure
Course learning outcomes
In the context of a JCU graduate on successful completion of the Bachelor of Creative Arts & Media graduates will be able to:
- Appraise the global traditions, practices and theories informing creative arts practice
- Evaluate theoretical and conceptual insights into media arts practice;
- Compare direct experiences of the nature of the global creative industries sector including insights into career management strategies for artists
- Develop an appreciation and understanding of indigenous perspectives
- Demonstrate a high level of digital technology based expertise in at least one discipline area of creative practice
- Apply specialist professional knowledge in at least one of the discipline areas of creative practice
- Demonstrate an appreciation and understanding of urban and natural tropical environments
- Illustrate an awareness of intellectual curiosity, ethical behaviour and sustainable practice in the arts and creative industries sector
- Practice collaborative enterprise within creative communities emerging within the knowledge economy
- Demonstrate advanced oral, written and networked communication skills suitable for the contemporary information and communication technologies sector
- Employ strong problem solving, research, critical thinking and analytical skills required for contemporary arts practice.
NM1010:03 Digital Toolbox
NM1810:03 Introduction to Creativity & Innovation
NM2018:03 Creative Culture: The Value of the Arts
NM2017:03 Visual Arts in Perspective
NM2020:03 Visual Communication & Creativity
NM3012:03 Creative Collaboration Project
NM3013:03 Professional Portfolio
Select a Creative Arts & Media Major from Table A
Select a minor that is different to your major from the Inter-Disciplinary Minors list or Select 9 credit points of any undergraduate subjects plus 3 credit points of any level 3 undergraduate subjects
Select a second minor that is different to your major from the Inter-Disciplinary Minors list or Select 9 credit points of any undergraduate subjects plus 3 credit points of any level 3 undergraduate subjects
TABLE A (CREATIVE ARTS & MEDIA MAJORS)
Type of major
Credit points in major
24 credit points
COURSE AVAILABLE AT
Not all majors are available in Cairns
The first and second years of the course will be available internally in Cairns in 2017 and the whole course will be available internally in Cairns in 2018.
Not all majors are available in Townsville
The first and second years of the course will be available externally in 2017 and the whole course will be available fully external in 2018.
Expected time to complete
3 years full time or equivalent part time
Maximum time to complete
Maximum leave of absence
Must successfully complete 36 credit points of level 1 and level 2 subjects before attempting any level 3 subject
Course includes mandatory professional placement(s)
This course includes work integrated learning in the second year. Students may be required to undertake such placements away from the campus at which they are enrolled, at their own expense.
Further information about placements can be found at Enrolment Policy – Coursework Students.
Maximum allowed Pass
Supplementary exam for
A student who has failed the final subject towards the award in their final teaching period and who gained 40% or more of the marks for that subject, may be granted a supplementary examination in that subject. However if that subject is required for accreditation, then the criteria specified by that accreditation will apply.
Students may apply for advanced standing for previous tertiary study in accordance with the Advanced Standing and Articulation policy and associated procedures.
48 credit points, with no more that 9 credit points of advanced standing awarded at level 3.
Advanced standing will be granted only for studies completed in the 5 years prior to the commencement of this course.
Advanced standing gained for any subject shall be cancelled 12 years after the date of the examination upon which the advanced standing is based if, by then, the student has not completed the course of study prescribed for the degree
BACHELOR OF CREATIVE ARTS AND MEDIA
This is a joint degree
Inclusion of majors on
Any major may appear on the testamur
Exit with lesser award
Students who exit the course prior to completion, and have successfully completed 24 credit points of appropriate subjects, may be eligible for the award of Diploma of Higher Education.
Available as an additional 24 credit points of study [end-on]
By invitation of the Dean of College. Candidates must have obtained a minimum average grade of a Credit (GPA 5) for level 2 and 3 subjects.