You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Advanced Analytical Centre
- Applying to JCU
- Australian Lions Stinger Research
- Australian Tropical Herbarium
- Association of Australian University Secretaries
- Australian Quantum & Classical Transport Physics Group
- Careers and Employability
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- (( College of Medicine and Dentistry ))
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- Indigenous Students
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- JCU Halls of Residence
- Language and Culture Research Centre
- Marine Geophysics Laboratory
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- Planning and Performance
- Professional Experience Placement
- Rapid Assessment Unit
- JCU Connect
- Safety and Wellbeing
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Tropical Sustainable Design Case Studies
- VAVS Home
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
Bachelor of Occupational Therapy
Bachelor of Occupational Therapy
Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (External)
Professional accreditation status
This course is accredited by Occupational Therapy Council (Australia & New Zealand) Ltd (OTC).
Students enrolled in this degree will be registered with the Occupational Therapy Board of Australia through the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA) for the duration of their program of study or until they are no longer enrolled. Graduates will be eligible to apply for professional registration with the Occupational Therapy Board of Australia through the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA).
Bachelor Degree (AQF Level 7)
Tropical Health and Medicine
English, plus one of: Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Health Education or Physical Education.
Minimum English language proficiency requirements
Applicants of non-English speaking backgrounds must meet the English language proficiency requirements of Band 3a – Schedule II of the JCU Admissions Policy.
Students also need to take note that in accordance with the National Registration Board’s requirement, they must hold a valid IELTS minimum score of 7.0 in all components within 2 years prior to applying for registration upon Graduation as Occupational Therapists in Australia.
Course includes mandatory professional placement(s)
Clinical placement/professional practice:
This course includes prescribed professional or clinical placements. Students may be required to undertake such placements away from the campus at which they are enrolled, at their own expense. (Note: health professional courses generally involve extensive professional or clinical placements).
Further information about placements can be found at Enrolment Policy – Coursework Students.
Post admission requirements
Students must provide evidence of being immune to hepatitis B and that they have been vaccinated or evidence that they are not susceptible for the vaccine preventable diseases (VPD) of Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR); Varicella and Pertussis. Professional experience placement is a requirement of this course and students may be engaged in roles where there is contact that would allow transmission of a VPD. Students are required to comply with the above requirement prior to commencing their first Professional Experience Placement or by the end of the first teaching period of their studies, otherwise their enrolment will be terminated.
Suitability to Work with Children Card (blue card):
This course includes prescribed professional or clinical placements that may involve contact with children under 18 years of age. Students are required to obtain a Suitability to Work with Children Card (which involves a criminal history check undertaken by the Queensland Police) by the last day of the first teaching period of their course. Students must retain a current Suitability to Work with Children Card for the duration of their course, as failure to do so will result in the termination of their admission to the course.
For more information, refer to:
Current Apply First Aid and CPR Certificate:
Candidates must hold a current First Aid Certificate before undertaking professional or clinical placements. This must be provided by the last day of the first teaching period of their course. It will be the responsibility of the student to maintain this certificate for the duration of their course, as failure to do so will result in the termination of their admission to the course. Candidates are responsible for any costs associated with obtaining this certificate.
Some professional/clinical placement agencies may require that candidates hold an advanced cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) certificate before undertaking a professional or clinical placement. Candidates are responsible for any costs associated with obtaining this certificate.
Australian Federal Police check:
This course includes prescribed professional or clinical placements. Some placement agencies will require students to produce a current Australian Federal Police check. This is in addition to the requirements for a Blue Card. Students must provide written confirmation of clearance to the Clinical Placement Officer by the last day of the first teaching period of their course. Students will be required to provide an updated Australian Federal Police check if requested by the College, and failure to do so will result in the termination of their admission to the course.
Application documents can be accessed at:
Academic Requirements for Course Completion
96 credit points as per course structure
Course learning outcomes
The James Cook University Bachelor of Occupational Therapy degree will prepare graduates for registration as an entry level Occupational Therapist (OT) in Australia. The course is aligned with the Australian Standards for Occupational Therapy, including AHPRA OT code of conduct and OTA Occupational Therapy Competencies.
On successful completion of the course, graduates will be able to:
Inherent requirements are the fundamental abilities, attributes, skills and behaviours needed to complete the learning outcomes of a course while preserving the academic integrity of the university’s learning, assessment and accreditation processes. Students and prospective students must be able to demonstrate that they have acquired or have the ability to acquire the inherent requirements for their degree. For more information refer to Inherent Requirements page.
Reasonable adjustments may be made to assist students manage additional circumstances impacting on their studies provided these do not change the academic integrity of a degree. Reasonable adjustments do not alter the need to be able to demonstrate the inherent requirements of the course.
BM1031:03 Anatomy and Physiology for Occupational Therapy 1
BM1032:03 Anatomy and Physiology for Occupational Therapy 2
HS1003:03 Lifespan Development for Health A
HS1401:03 Health and Health Care in Australia
OT1011:03 Introduction to Occupation and Occupational Therapy
OT1012:03 Enabling Occupation through Partnerships
RH1002:03 Communication Skills for Health Professionals
RH1004:03 Foundations of Allied Health Professional Practice
HS2401:03 Rural and Remote Primary and Public Health Care
HS2402:03 Health Professional Research 1
HS2403:03 Health Promotion for Health Professionals
OT2013:03 Psycho-emotional Determinants of Occupation
OT2014:03 Contextual Determinants of Occupation
OT2015:06 Physical and Cognitive-neurological Determinants of Occupation
RH2002:03 Clinical Medicine for Therapy
HS3401:03 Health Professional Research 2
OT3001:03 Occupational Therapy Independent Study
OT3011:03 Enhancing Practice Capabilities
OT3012:03 Professional Practice Preparation
OT3004:06 Rural and Urban Practice 1
OT3005:06 Rural and Urban Practice 2
OT4001:12 Advanced Rural or Urban Practice
OT4002:03 Contemporary Issues for Health Professionals
OT4003:03 Health Law and Ethics, Reflective Practice
OT4004:03 Advanced Professional Practice
TM4401:03 Health, Policy and Planning
COURSE AVAILABLE AT
Expected time to complete
4 years full-time or equivalent part-time
Maximum time to complete
Maximum leave of absence
Course progression requisites
Must successfully complete all level 1 subjects before attempting any level 2 OT coded subjects. Must complete all level 2 subjects before attempting any level 3 subjects.
Course includes mandatory professional placement(s)
This course includes prescribed professional or clinical placements. Students may be required to undertake such placements away from the campus at which they are enrolled, at their own expense. (Note: health professional courses generally involve extensive professional or clinical placements). Currency of post-admission requirements must be maintained throughout the degree.
Further information about placements can be found at Enrolment Policy – Coursework Students
Special assessment requirements
Maximum allowed Pass Conceded (PC) grade
Supplementary exam for final subject
Students may apply for advanced standing for previous tertiary study in accordance with the Advanced Standing and Articulation policy and associated procedures.
63 credit points
Advanced standing will be granted only for studies completed in the 10 years prior to the commencement of this course.
Advanced standing gained for any subject shall be cancelled 17 years after the date of the examination upon which the advanced standing is based if, by then, the candidate has not completed this course.
A maximum of 18 credit points of advanced standing may be granted at level 3 or 4.
BACHELOR OF OCCUPATIONAL THERAPY
Inclusion of majors on testamur
Not applicable - this course does not have majors
Exit with lesser award
Embedded honours available
At the start of level 3, the Head of School will invite selected students to enter the honours program.
Eligible candidates must obtain a grade of at least Credit for all subjects from the first two levels.
A quota on entry into the honours program may be applied depending on the availability of supervisors.
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture
- Pathway to University Bridging Courses
- Get Into University Without an ATAR
- Get Into University Courses with a Low ATAR
- Dentistry School Courses
- Midwifery Training Courses
- Pharmacy School
- ECE Degree Online
- Physiotherapy School
- Primary Teaching Degree Online
- Sports Science University
- High School Teaching Courses
- Pre Registration Nursing Courses