You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- College of Arts, Society and Education
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- JCU Connect
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
Graduate Diploma of Data Science
Graduate Diploma of Data Science
GDN – Graduate Diploma (AQF Level 8)
Tropical Environments and Societies
Completion of an AQF level 7 Bachelor degree; or
Five (5) years or more relevant industry experience in IT or Data Science/Data Analytics; or
Other qualifications or practical experience recognised by the Dean, College of Science and Engineering as equivalent to the above.
Minimum English language proficiency requirements
Applicants of non-English speaking backgrounds must meet the English language proficiency requirements of Band 2 – Schedule II of the JCU Admissions Policy.
|Additional admission requirements|
Mathematics B (or equivalent that includes algebra and elementary differential calculus) together with some background in computing, data analysis or programming is assumed.
Admission based on relevant industry experience must be supported by a detailed CV and proof of work experience (e.g. a letter from the employer detailing your position and job description).
Special admission requirements
Candidates will need to ensure that they have reliable access to internet services and computing resources.
Academic Requirements for Course Completion
24 credit points as per course structure
Computer and internet access is required.
Course learning outcomes
On successful completion of the Graduate Diploma of Data Science, graduates will be able to:
CP5804:03 Database Systems
MA5800:03 Foundations for Data Science
MA5820:03 Statistical Methods for Data Scientists
MA5830:03 Data Visualisation
CP5805:03 Programming and Data Analytics Using Python
MA5801:03 Essential Mathematics for Data Scientists
MA5810:03 Introduction to Data Mining
MA5821:03 Visual Analytics for Data Scientists using SAS
COURSE AVAILABLE AT
This course is 100% online through a carousel delivery model.
|A full-time student will study up to 25% of this course online.|
Expected time to complete
1.5 years in continuous carousel model (24cp) for JCU Online students; 1 year full-time for on-campus students; or equivalent part-time
Explanation for JCU Online students – Eight study periods yields 64 weeks, but spanning one mid-year recess and two end-of-year breaks will add 7 or 8 weeks for a total of 72 weeks, compared to 1.5 years at 78 weeks.
Maximum time to complete
Explanation – "part-time" modality for carousel offerings is expected to be at 2/3 of the full-time rate rather than 1/2 (study 16 weeks, 8 weeks off) as this results in 6CP per Teaching Period. Because of the currency of knowledge in Data Science it is important to know if a candidate is going to complete their studies over a longer time frame, especially if they intend to continue into the Master's program. 72 weeks x 1.5 + 1 year LoA = 210 weeks, marginally over two years, without allowing for recesses.
Maximum leave of absence
Course progression requisites
To ensure satisfactory progression a minimum of three subjects must be taken in any 12-month period.
Course includes mandatory professional placement(s)
Special assessment requirements
Professional accreditation requirements
Maximum allowed Pass Conceded (PC) grade
Students may apply for a credit transfer for previous tertiary study or informal and non-formal learning in accordance with the Credit Transfer Procedure.
Credit may be granted for the following:
Note: Where relevant industry experience without qualifications in a quantitative discipline is used to meet entry requirements, that experience will not also be used to give credit.
* Cognate disciplines include data science, computer science, IT, mathematics, statistics, engineering, physics, economics or finance.
12 credit points except where a student transfers from one JCU award to another, then credit may be granted for any subjects where there is subject equivalence between the awards.
Credit will be granted only for studies completed in the 10 years prior to the commencement of this course.
Credit gained for any subject shall be cancelled 13.5 years after the date of the examination upon which the credit is based if, by then, the student has not completed this course.
Credit will not be granted for undergraduate studies or for work experience used to gain admission to the course when assessed separately for admission requirements.
GRADUATE DIPLOMA OF DATA SCIENCE
Inclusion of majors on
Not applicable – this course does not have majors
Exit with lesser award
Students who exit the course prior to completion, and have successfully completed 12 credit points of appropriate subjects, may be eligible for the award of Graduate Certificate of Data Science.
Students who complete this course are eligible for entry to the Master of Data Science, and may be granted credit for all subjects completed under this course
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture