You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- JCU Connect
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
Master of Data Science
Master of Data Science
Masters Degree (Coursework) (AQF Level 9)
Tropical Environments and Societies
Completion of an AQF level 7 bachelor degree; or
Five (5) years or more relevant industry experience in IT or Data Science/Data Analytics; or
Other qualifications or practical experience recognised by the Dean, College of Science and Engineering as equivalent to the above.
Entry requirements for this course are consistent with the Pathways to Qualifications in the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF level 9) Guidelines for Masters degrees.
Minimum English language proficiency requirements
Applicants of non-English speaking backgrounds must meet the English language proficiency requirements of Band 2 – Schedule II of the JCU Admissions Policy.
Additional admission requirements
Mathematics B (or equivalent that includes algebra and elementary differential calculus) together with some background in computing, data analysis or programming is assumed.
Admission based on relevant industry experience must be supported by a detailed CV and proof of work experience (e.g. a letter from an employer detailing the position and job description).
Special admission requirements
Candidates will need to ensure that they have reliable access to internet services and computing resources.
Academic Requirements for Course Completion
48 credit points as per course structure
Additional course rules
Computer and internet access is required.
Course learning outcomes
On successful completion of the Master of Data Science, graduates will be able to:
MA5800:03 Foundations for Data Science
MA5820:03 Statistical Methods for Data Scientists
MA5830:03 Data Visualisation
CP5804:03 Database Systems
CP5805:03 Programming and Data Analytics Using Python
MA5801:03 Essential Mathematics for Data Scientists
MA5810:03 Introduction to Data Mining
MA5821:03 Visual Analytics for Data Scientists using SAS
CP5806:03 Data and Information: Management, Security, Privacy and Ethics
MA5831:03 Advanced Data Management and Analysis using SAS
MA5832:03 Data Mining and Machine Learning
MA5840:03 Data Science and Strategic Decision Making for Business
MA5851:03 Data Science Master Class 1
MA5852:03 Data Science Master Class 2
MA5853:03 Data Science Project 1
MA5854:03 Data Science Project 2
COURSE AVAILABLE AT
This course is 100% online through a carousel delivery model.
|A full-time student will study up to 25% of this course online|
Expected time to complete
32 months in continuous carousel mode (48CP) for JCU Online students, 24 months full time for on-campus students; or equivalent part time
Maximum time to complete
Maximum leave of absence
Course progression requisites
Must successfully complete carousels 1, 2 and 3 sequentially before attempting any carousel 4 subjects.
To ensure satisfactory progression a minimum of three subjects must be taken in any 12-month period.
Course includes mandatory professional placement(s)
Special assessment requirements
Professional accreditation requirements
Maximum allowed Pass Conceded (PC) grade
Students may apply for a credit transfer for previous tertiary study or informal and non-formal learning in accordance with the Credit Transfer Procedure.
Credit may be granted for the following:
Note: If relevant industry experience without qualifications in a quantitative discipline, is used to meet entry requirements, that experience will not also be used to give credit.
* Cognate disciplines include data science, computer science, IT, mathematics, statistics, engineering, physics, economics or finance.
24 credit points, except where a student transfers from one JCU award to another, then credit may be granted for any subjects where there is subject equivalence between the awards.
Credit will be granted only for studies completed in the 10 years prior to the commencement of this course.
Credit gained for any subject shall be cancelled 15.5 years after the date of the examination upon which the credit is based if, by then, the student has not completed this course.
Credit will not be granted for undergraduate studies or work experience used to gain admission to the course when assessed separately for admission requirements.
MASTER OF DATA SCIENCE
Inclusion of majors on testamur
Not applicable – this course does not have majors
Exit with lesser award
Students who exit the course prior to completion, and have successfully completed 12 credit points of appropriate subjects, may be eligible for the award of Graduate Certificate of Data Science.
Students who exit the course prior to completion, and have successfully completed 24 credit points of appropriate subjects, may be eligible for the award of Graduate Diploma of Data Science.
|Special awards||Where coursework is completed at a grade point average of 6 or above, the Deputy Vice Chancellor, on the recommendation of the College Dean of Science and Engineering may recommend the award of Master of Data Science with Distinction|
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture