You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- JCU Connect
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
Master of Science (Professional)
Master of Science (Professional)
Masters Degree (Coursework) (AQF Level 9)
Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
Completion of an AQF level 7 bachelor degree in Science with a minimum GPA of 5 (65%) or equivalent.
Entry requirements for this course are consistent with the Pathways to Qualifications in the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF level 9) Guidelines for Masters degrees.
Minimum English language proficiency requirements
Applicants of non-English speaking backgrounds must meet the English language proficiency requirements of Band 1 – Schedule II of the JCU Admissions Policy.
Post Admission requirements
Some majors require attendance at block mode subjects on either the Townsville or Cairns campus. Students may be required to attend block mode classes at a campus other than that at which they are enrolled, at their own expense.
Academic Requirements for Course Completion
48 credit points as per course structure
Course learning outcomes
On successful completion of the Master of Science (Professional), graduates will be able to:
Select a major from Table A
Select Option 1, 2 or 3
Option 1 – Research Stream
SC5912:06 Minor Project, Seminar and Literature Review (1 of 2)
SC5913:06 Minor Project, Seminar and Literature Review (2 of 2)
Option 2 – Professional Project Stream
SC5009:12 Professional Project
Option 3 – Research and Professional Project Stream
Select 12 credit points of subjects from:
SC5007:06 Professional Project
SC5008:03 Professional Placement
SC5900:06 Special Topic
SC5901:03 Special Topic 1
SC5902:03 Special Topic 2
Type of major
Credit points in major
36 credit points
COURSE AVAILABLE AT
Not all majors available at Cairns
Expected time to complete
2 years full-time or 4 years part-time
Maximum time to complete
Maximum leave of absence
Course progression requisites
Course includes mandatory professional placement(s)
Special assessment requirements
Professional accreditation requirements
Maximum allowed Pass Conceded (PC) grade
Supplementary exam for final subject
A student who has failed the final subject towards the award and who gained 40% or more of the marks for that subject, may be granted a supplementary examination in that subject.
Students may apply for credit transfer for previous tertiary study in accordance with the Credit Transfer Procedure.
Credit will only be granted for subjects aligned to the current course’s learning outcomes and if the applicant demonstrates sufficient prior knowledge and skills to achieve the course learning outcomes in the time available in the course.
Up to 12 credit points may be granted for an AQF Level 7 qualification in a Cognate* Science discipline as determined by the College of Science and Engineering.
Up to 24 credit points may be granted for an AQF Level 8 qualification in a Cognate* Science discipline as determined by the College of Science and Engineering.
*Cognate discipline: Applicants must have degree qualifications for a discipline that is closely aligned or related with the major being undertaken.
24 credit points
Where a student transfers from one JCU award to another, then credit may be granted for more than two-thirds of the new award, where there is subject equivalence between the awards.
Credit will be granted only for subjects completed in the 10 years prior to the commencement of this course.
Credit gained for any subject shall be cancelled 16 years after the date of the examination upon which the credit is based if, by then, the student has not completed this course.
Studies and/or professional experiences undertaken to fulfil the entry requirements to JCU awards may not be used for credit.
MASTER OF SCIENCE (PROFESSIONAL)
Inclusion of majors on
Majors will appear on the testamur
Exit with lesser award
Students who exit the course prior to completion, and have successfully completed 36 credit points of appropriate subjects, may be eligible for the award of Master of Science.
Students who exit the course prior to completion, and have successfully completed 24 credit points of appropriate subjects, may be eligible for the award of Graduate Diploma of Science.
Students who have completed 12 credit points of appropriate subjects may be eligible to exit with the Graduate Certificate of Science.
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture