You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- College of Arts, Society and Education
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- JCU Eduquarium
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
Tell us a little bit about yourself
Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Why JCU?
- Arts and Social Sciences
- Biomedical Sciences
- Environmental Management
- Health Studies
- Information Technology
- Marine Science
- Nursing and Midwifery
- Occupational Therapy
- Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Social Work
- Speech Pathology
- Sport and Exercise Science
- Tourism, Hospitality and Events
- Veterinary Science
Services and support
- QTAC Packaged Offers
- International Students
Bachelor of Environmental Practice
ATAR 53.35 |
What to expect
How to apply
You'll have a unique set of skills when you graduate with a JCU Environmental Practice degree.
Your qualifications will be sought by government departments, mining corporations, environmental consultants, renewable energy industries, tourism businesses, heritage groups, local governments, and non-government organisations, or you may establish your own company to work with stakeholders and clients.
As well as being able to manage relationships with stakeholders with diverse interests, you'll have the business skills and environmental knowledge required by organisations that need leaders to:
- Manage corporate environmental projects that require business literacy with environmental skills, ensuring compliance with environmental laws and better management of how business impacts on the environment
- Manage the provision of fresh water and other essentials for rapidly growing cities
- Conduct Environmental Site Assessments in residential, commercial and industrial properties
- Conduct historical and regulatory research
- Lead contaminated site inspections
- Manage remediation activities
- Prepare and review reports and budgets
- Manage teams of skilled and unskilled workers
- Design sustainable and green urban places
Environmental Practice is a ground-breaking course offered at JCU.
Take your place among the experts who will be called on to solve the great sustainability challenges that are facing the world. Environmental Practice responds to the stated requirements of corporate environmental management organisations for triple bottom line outcomes – environmental, social and economic. Responding to those needs, this unique course offers students the opportunity to specialise in one or two of four majors:
- Biodiversity Assessment and Management
- Corporate Environmental Management
- Urban Environments and Landscape Design
- Land and Water Management
Benefit from JCU's consultation with employers and industry to include those skills that they think make a great Environmental Manager. JCU graduates are ready to hit the ground running and contribute to a whole range of organisations who need environmental, social and economic skills from their employees.
Your JCU Environmental Practice curriculum builds on JCU's internationally-acclaimed environmental science reputation and experience. It will make you even more employable. You'll study:
- Urban design, combining urban planning, urbanisation issues and urban landscapes with a sustainable "design thinking" approach
- Corporate environmental management, combining business literacy and corporate sustainability with environmental skills
- Biodiversity Assessment and management teaches skills for assessment and management of all living species, on land and in the water
- Coastal and Marine Management looks at the interaction of people and communities at the coastal fringe and on the oceans and marine habitats
- Land and Water Management combines physical geosciences and environmental impacts on land, wetlands, river catchments and below the surface
The College of Science and Engineering at JCU arranges your final year professional placements and work experience.
We only have one Earth. Positive climate action and systemic change can be influenced by individuals encouraging corporations to have a positive impact on the environment. Work alongside professionals who are solving the most pressing environmental issues of our day – study a Bachelor of Environmental Practice from James Cook University.
Be Ready Today for Tomorrow
Join JCU’s world-class researches and learn from the experts. Many consumers have lived as if social concerns, economic issues, corporate needs, and the environment were not inter-connected. With the result being global environmental issues like climate change, studying a Bachelor of Environmental Practice will prepare you to be part of the solution.
Lead the way in bringing urban design, corporate action, and government policy in line with best practices in resource management and biodiversity with the skills you learn from JCU’s Bachelor of Environmental Practice. Access unrivalled natural environments such as the Australian Outback, World Heritage Great Barrier Reef or the Wet Tropic’s Daintree Rainforest.
Like a Bachelor in Environmental Science, this degree will prepare you to meet the environmental challenges you are passionate about. Understand the positive and negative impacts of development alongside the ecosystems of coastal regions. Learn how to combine profitable business practices with sustainable environmental policies, and how urban landscapes can become more sustainable for everyone.
Be in High Demand
You can make a difference in the corporate world, in public policy decisions, in water preservation, or even in remediation activities. Whether you want to design new sustainable urban environments or help a corporation navigate environmental law, be in high demand with your environmental science degree.
Through your environmental management courses, develop your understanding of how to manage the interaction of people and the environment. Gain practical skills in solving pressing sustainability issues that will contribute to your employability.
With an environmental management degree from JCU, you are learning from expert lecturers who integrate their world-class research into the classroom*.
Choose the area of study that best suits your values and interests. Consider corporate environmental management, land and water management, urban environments, or biodiversity design and management. Whichever area you specialise in, you will be actively contributing to research that makes a difference.
Committed to Student Success
Your world-class education begins here, experience small class sizes and learn from world-class experts in their field. Your lecturers will help you explore the theory being taught and show you how to develop strategic partnerships and community engagement.
Experience has no substitute. JCU offers frequent professional placements and work experience opportunities in real-world environments. Throughout your placements you will gain the opportunity to build global professional networks and connections to last a lifetime.
Develop skills in retrieving and analysing information from your work in the field and complete laboratory and field experiments. You will graduate from your environmental management courses with the tools needed to apply your knowledge to the issues facing our world.
Forging a Future
Design your own future with your environmental management degree from JCU. Once you graduate, you are prepared for a variety of employment options. You will be ready to manage corporate relations with stakeholders or work in business compliance. Prepare budgets and reports that help corporations meet financial targets in a sustainable manner.
Or work in the field conducting historical research or site assessments prior to developing regulatory recommendations. Build on your passion for a sustainable future for our cities, and manage fresh water supplies or design urban green spaces. Or work in management on various environmental projects.
Whatever you choose to do in environmental practice, the future is yours. Our world needs your skills, and the environmental degrees at JCU will prepare you to make a difference.
*Excellence in Research Awards 2016
Hide additional information
Note the course QTAC code for the location you've chosen. You'll need to enter it as part of your QTAC application.
Cairns (326431) - Apply now
OP Score/Rank is indicative only. Entry scores will be finalised in the major offer round.
Recommended study includes: at least one of Biology, Chemistry, Earth and Environmental Science, Geography, Maths C, Specialist Mathematics or Physics (Units 3/4,C).
Fees and scholarships
Pathways to JCU
Bachelor of Environmental Practice
BAC – Bachelor Pass (AQF level 7)
Professional accreditation status
Environmental Institute of Australia and New Zealand accredits individual graduates but not courses - http://www.eianz.org/
Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
Assumed Knowledge: English (4,SA); Maths B (4,SA)
Recommended Study: At least one of Biology, Chemistry, Earth Science, Geography, Maths C or Physics
Minimum English language proficiency requirements
Applicants of non-English speaking backgrounds must meet the English language proficiency requirements of Band 1 – Schedule II of the JCU Admissions Policy.
Additional course requirements
Applicants who select SC1102: Modelling Natural Systems as a part of their degree but have not completed high school intermediate level Mathematics B (or equivalent) must also select MA1020: Preparatory Mathematics as part of their study plan.
MA1020 is available on both campuses in full-semester and block-mode. The block-mode option typically starts earlier than the standard course commencement date. Contact JCU on 1800 246 446 for more information. Students can enrol in BU1007 Business Data Analysis and Interpretation without completing high school intermediate level Mathematics B (or equivalent).
This course involves mandatory field work and any costs associated with the field work will be at the student's expense.
Academic Requirements for Course Completion
72 credit points as per course structure
Additional course rules
Study plan may only include a maximum of 30 credit points of Level 1 subjects and a minimum of 18 credit points must be taken at Level 3.
Course learning outcomes
The graduates of James Cook University are prepared and equipped to create a brighter future for life in the tropics world-wide.
JCU graduates are committed to lifelong learning, intellectual development and to the display of exemplary personal, professional and ethical standards. They have a sense of their place in the tropics and are charged with professional, community, and environmental responsibility. JCU graduates appreciate the need to embrace and be acquainted with the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples of Australia. They are committed to reconciliation, diversity and sustainability. They exhibit a willingness to lead and to contribute to the intellectual, environmental, cultural, economic and social challenges of regional, national, and international communities of the tropics.
Graduates of the Bachelor of Environmental Practice at James Cook University will be able to:
EV1010:03 The Environmental Professional
SC1101:03 Science: Nature, Knowledge and Understanding
EV2502:03 Introduction to Geographic Information Systems
EV2100:03 Environmental Management, Policy and Governance
BX2077:03 Project Management
SC3008:03 Professional Placement
EV3110:03 Environmental and Social Impact Assessment
Select a major from Table A
Select one of the following Options
Option 1 (Second Major)
Select a second major from Table A
Option 2 (Minors and/or Electives)
Select a Science Minor from Table B that is different to your major or select 9 credit points of any Level 2, 3 or 5 Science subjects PLUS 3 credit points of any Level 3 or Level 5 Science subject
Select a Minor from Table B or select 12 credit points of any Level 1, 2, 3 or 5 subjects
Table A (Majors)
Type of major
Mandatory, Single or Double
Credit points in major
24 credit points
Table B (Minors)
Type of minor
Optional, Single or double
Credit points in minor
12 credit points
|Please refer to list for details of all minors available for selection|
COURSE AVAILABLE AT
Expected time to complete
3 years full-time or equivalent part-time
Maximum time to complete
Maximum leave of absence
Must complete 18 credit points of Level 1 or 2 subjects before attempting any Level 3 subject.
Course includes mandatory professional placement(s)
Maximum allowed Pass
3 credit points
Only one PC grade may be awarded with approval of College or Division examiners meeting, to allow a student to graduate, and that PC grade must not contribute to a core subject within the course or major.
Supplementary exam for
A student who has failed the final subject towards the award and who gained 40% or more of the marks for that subject, may be granted a supplementary examination in that subject. However if that subject is required for accreditation, then the criteria specified by that accreditation will apply.
Students may apply for advanced standing for previous tertiary study in accordance with the Credit and Articulation policy and associated procedures
48 credit points - except where a student transfers from one JCU award to another, then advanced standing may be granted for more than two-thirds of the new award, where there is subject equivalence between the awards
Advanced standing will be granted only for subjects completed in the 10 years prior to the commencement of this course
Advanced standing gained for any subject shall be cancelled 19 years after the date of the examination upon which the advanced standing is based if, by then, the student has not completed this course.
A maximum of 6cp credit points of advanced standing may be granted at level 3.
Advanced standing will not be given for SC3008 Professional Placement.
BACHELOR OF ENVIRONMENTAL PRACTICE
Inclusion of majors on
Any major may appear on the testamur
Exit with lesser award
Students who have completed 24 credit points of their course award requirements, and withdraw from or fail to meet the requirements for progression in the later years, may be eligible for the award of Diploma of Tertiary Studies.
Annual Tuition Fee: $9,247. (Estimate only)
JCU offers pathway courses to help you move into a degree. Pathway courses provide you with an individualised study plan and specialised support as you transition to university. Contact us for more information.
Students are encouraged to undertake the Tertiary Access Course if they have not studied recently and/or want assistance making the transition to University studies.
Get prepared – bridging subjects
Bridging subjects are designed to fill any gaps in your knowledge. We offer maths and chemistry bridging subjects that can be studied on-campus in Cairns and Townsville. You may need to enrol in a bridging subject if you have not achieved the grade of ‘Sound Achievement or better’ in Queensland Year 12 maths or chemistry.
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology (Honours)
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture