You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- College of Arts, Society and Education
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Open Day
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
Tell us a little bit about yourself
Master of Data Science
- Why JCU?
- Arts and Social Sciences
- Biomedical Sciences
- Environmental Management
- Health Studies
- Information Technology
- Marine Science
- Nursing and Midwifery
- Occupational Therapy
- Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Social Work
- Speech Pathology
- Sport and Exercise Science
- Tourism, Hospitality and Events
- Veterinary Science
Services and support
- QTAC Packaged Offers
- International Students
Master of Data Science
What to expect
How to apply
Unlock a world of potential with the Master of Data Science at JCU and become an authority in the roaring big-data industry. Develop innovative solutions to contemporary problems in data science and mastermind database systems, programs, models, and projects.
JCU students have the advantage of learning how to apply data science skills to tropical, regional, and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander contexts. Benefit from industry expertise with courses taught by data scientists, SAS partnership and certification, and access to the SAS data Science Academy. Domestic students can choose to complete the Master of Data Science online.
Learn to exercise your professional judgment to suit specific circumstances and have the opportunity to complete a substantial research-based project. Your capstone project will allow you to build a portfolio to showcase your expertise.
Upon graduating, you will be across recent developments and modern challenges in data science and equipped with skills in key areas including machine learning, data mining, algorithm development, and advanced modelling.
You will have senior industry contacts, experience with real-world projects, and a foundational understanding of technology that allows you to adapt to every innovation. You will know when and how to apply computing languages and computational tools for data acquisition, queries, management, analysis, and visualisation.
You'll experience an innovative delivery method - this degree is broken up into twelve study periods. During each study period, one subject is completed on campus. International student visa holders are required to complete an additional subject externally (online) in specified study periods throughout the course duration, in order to complete sixteen subjects in two, full-time years of study.
The Master of Data Science is offered from JCU’s Cairns City campus.
Find out more about studying the Master of Data Science online.
Consult the handbook for more information.
Students taking the Master of Data Science have the option to exit the course early and receive a Graduate Certificate of Data Science after four subjects or a Graduate Diploma of Data Science after eight subjects.
Complete an online application through our Online Application Portal.
Fees and scholarships
Pathways to JCU
Master of Data Science
Masters Degree (Coursework) (AQF Level 9)
Tropical Environments and Societies
Completion of an AQF level 7 bachelor degree; or
Five (5) years or more relevant industry experience in IT or Data Science/Data Analytics; or
Other qualifications or practical experience recognised by the Dean, College of Science and Engineering as equivalent to the above.
Entry requirements for this course are consistent with the Pathways to Qualifications in the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF level 9) Guidelines for Masters degrees.
Minimum English language proficiency requirements
Applicants of non-English speaking backgrounds must meet the English language proficiency requirements of Band 2 – Schedule II of the JCU Admissions Policy.
Additional admission requirements
Mathematics B (or equivalent that includes algebra and elementary differential calculus) together with some background in computing, data analysis or programming is assumed.
Admission based on relevant industry experience must be supported by a detailed CV and proof of work experience (e.g. a letter from an employer detailing the position and job description).
Special admission requirements
Candidates will need to ensure that they have reliable access to internet services and computing resources.
Academic Requirements for Course Completion
48 credit points as per course structure
Additional course rules
Computer and internet access is required.
Course learning outcomes
On successful completion of the Master of Data Science, graduates will be able to:
MA5800:03 Foundations for Data Science
MA5820:03 Statistical Methods for Data Scientists
MA5830:03 Data Visualisation
CP5804:03 Database Systems
CP5805:03 Programming and Data Analytics Using Python
MA5801:03 Essential Mathematics for Data Scientists
MA5810:03 Introduction to Data Mining
MA5821:03 Advanced Statistical Methods for Data Scientists
CP5806:03 Data and Information: Management, Security, Privacy and Ethics
MA5831:03 Big Data: Management and Processing
MA5832:03 Data Mining and Machine Learning
MA5840:03 Data Science and Strategic Decision Making for Business
MA5851:03 Data Science Master Class 1
MA5852:03 Data Science Master Class 2
MA5853:03 Data Science Project 1
MA5854:03 Data Science Project 2
COURSE AVAILABLE AT
This course is 100% online through a carousel delivery model.
|A full-time student will study up to 25% of this course online.|
Expected time to complete
32 months in continuous carousel mode (48CP) for JCU Online students, 24 months full time for on-campus students; or equivalent part time
Maximum time to complete
Maximum leave of absence
Course progression requisites
Must successfully complete carousels 1, 2 and 3 sequentially before attempting any carousel 4 subjects.
To ensure satisfactory progression a minimum of three subjects must be taken in any 12-month period.
Course includes mandatory professional placement(s)
Special assessment requirements
Professional accreditation requirements
Maximum allowed Pass Conceded (PC) grade
Students may apply for advanced standing for previous tertiary study in accordance with the Credit and Articulation policy and associated procedures.
Advanced standing may be granted for the following:
Note: If relevant industry experience without qualifications in a quantitative discipline, is used to meet entry requirements, that experience will not also be used to give advanced standing.
* Cognate disciplines include data science, computer science, IT, mathematics, statistics, engineering, physics, economics or finance.
24 credit points, except where a student transfers from one JCU award to another, then advanced standing may be granted for any subjects where there is subject equivalence between the awards.
Advanced standing will be granted only for studies completed in the 10 years prior to the commencement of this course.
Advanced standing gained for any subject shall be cancelled 15.5 years after the date of the examination upon which the advanced standing is based if, by then, the student has not completed this course.
Advanced standing will not be granted for undergraduate studies or work experience used to gain admission to the course when assessed separately for admission requirements.
MASTER OF DATA SCIENCE
Inclusion of majors on testamur
Not applicable – this course does not have majors
Exit with lesser award
Students who exit the course prior to completion, and have successfully completed 12 credit points of appropriate subjects, may be eligible for the award of Graduate Certificate of Data Science.
Students who exit the course prior to completion, and have successfully completed 24 credit points of appropriate subjects, may be eligible for the award of Graduate Diploma of Data Science.
|Special awards||Where coursework is completed at a grade point average of 6 or above, the Deputy Vice Chancellor, on the recommendation of the College Dean of Science and Engineering may recommend the award of Master of Data Science with Distinction|
Consult the admission requirements section in the Handbook for prerequisites and pathways into this course.
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology (Honours)
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture