Courses Professional Employability Program
Professional Employability Program
- Why JCU?
- Arts and Social Sciences
- Environmental Management
- Health Studies
- Information Technology
- Marine Science
- Nursing and Midwifery
- Occupational Therapy
- Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Social Work
- Speech Pathology
- Sport and Exercise Science
- Tourism, Hospitality and Events
- Veterinary and Animal Science
- Course level
- By campus
- Services and support
- Information for
- QTAC Packaged Offers
- International Students
- Future Students
- Current Students
- Research and Teaching
- Partners and Community
- About JCU
- Celebrating 50 Years
- Advanced Analytical Centre
- Applying to JCU
- Australian Lions Stinger Research
- Australian Tropical Herbarium
- Association of Australian University Secretaries
- Careers and Employability
- Australian Quantum & Classical Transport Physics Group
- Centre for International Trade and Business in Asia
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- College of Science and Engineering
- COVID-19 Advice
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- Economic Geology Research Centre
- Graduate Research School
- Indigenous Education and Research Centre
- IT Services
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- JCU Global Experience
- JCU Halls of Residence
- Language and Culture Research Centre
- Marine Geophysics Laboratory
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- Planning and Performance
- Planning for your future
- Professional Experience Placement
- Rapid Assessment Unit
- JCU Connect
- Safety and Wellbeing
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Study Now
- Student Equity and Wellbeing
- VAVS Home
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
Develop advanced skills and knowledge through JCU's Professional Masters Courses and the Professional Employability Program.
Enhance your employability and advance your career in Australia and globally through the Professional Employability Program. This program is a unique feature of JCU's Professional Masters Courses and is based on the latest research, employment data and industry insights.
The JCU Professional Employability Program is available as part of the following degrees:
- Master of Data Science
- Master of Engineering (Professional)
- Master of International Tourism and Hospitality Management
- Master of Science
- Master of Science (Professional)
Students complete a structured co-curricular employability skills and development program, which runs for the duration of the degree. This includes a tailored plan to support individual employment objectives, beginning from semester one through to graduation.
As part of the JCU Professional Employability Program, students take part in meaningful industry placements. They will have opportunities to develop skills and build industry connections to maximise their employment outcomes.
JCU has partnered with employability experts Career Ahead to develop and deliver the program. Career Ahead was founded in 2011 by two C-Suite Executives, based on the insight that career management is challenging at every career stage. Career Ahead work with more than 400 industry partners, and were the 2019 national winners of the Career Development Association of Australia award for Excellence in Practice – Organisation.
Professional Employability Program Units and Schedule
The Masters Employability Program is completed throughout the normal duration of the JCU professional masters program and helps students work towards the following outcomes.
- Development of a personalised Career Plan
- Preparation of professional Job Search Tools
- Highly developed core employability skills, relevant to the desired employment outcome
- Comprehensive understanding of the Success Profile for their chosen Career Path
- Detailed understanding of the recruitment process and an enhanced ability to successful navigate this
- A strong sense of personal brand and competitive elevator pitch
- A broad understanding of industry requirements and an expanded industry network
- Relevant work based experience
- A comprehensive Employment Portfolio
The program includes three elements:
The Professional Employability Subject
This unit covers the core elements of Personal Career Management combined with an overview of Employability requirements across the Science discipline. A multi-disciplinary lens is taken to personalise subject content, to align to sub specialisations.
Delivered in intensive mode, students participate in three workshops, delivered by discipline experts and senior HR practitioners, the subject builds the capability of students in career planning, employability skills, professional networking and navigation of the recruitment process. Workshops are combined with regular online tutorials and self-directed online learning, to accelerate each student’s development.
Regular industry involvement is also a characteristic of this subject, including keynote speakers, industry panels, work based simulation and case study activity.
The Employability Passport
The Employability Passport provides an extensive range of resources to students in support of their career development. Built in portfolio management software, the Employability Passport houses a range of resources including, career development templates, guides for job search tools such as Resumes and LinkedIn Profiles, Success Profile models and current Industry Insights. These resources provide students with a ‘one stop shop’ to support their career planning, but also enable each student’s development of their personal Employability Portfolio, within the Passport platform. This Portfolio can ultimately be shared with potential employers, highlighting each student’s unique capabilities and experiences; importantly demonstrating their job readiness.
The Industry Placement
The industry placement is offered as a subject within your course, typically towards the completion of study.
Career Ahead identifies industry partners to provide meaningful industry experiences for students as part of their study program, in a range of forms including individual internships, small group industry programs and research based activities. These placements align to subject outlines and assessment requirements, providing students with real work or research experience, enhancing post study employability. Career Ahead have hundreds of industry relationships both nationally and internationally and access these for the Industry Placement Subject.