You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- College of Arts, Society and Education
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- JCU Eduquarium
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
Tell us a little bit about yourself
Master of Business Administration (Leadership)
- Why JCU?
- Arts and Social Sciences
- Biomedical Sciences
- Environmental Management
- Health Studies
- Information Technology
- Marine Science
- Nursing and Midwifery
- Occupational Therapy
- Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Social Work
- Speech Pathology
- Sport and Exercise Science
- Tourism, Hospitality and Events
- Veterinary Science
Services and support
- QTAC Packaged Offers
- International Students
Master of Business Administration (Leadership)
This JCU Master of Business Administration (Leadership) equips you with the thinking skills and knowledge that mindful global leaders of today must possess. With its focus on the way you approach the management of people and change within and outside organisations, this is an MBA that equips you to be part of the next generation of emerging global and social leaders. Importantly, JCU offers you flexible study options and valuable opportunities to establish highly-influential networks within industry and government agencies, while you undertake your studies in leadership.
If you're ready to take the next steps in your career at your current workplace, or in an entirely new role in another organisation, this JCU MBA (Leadership) is for you. Adding a JCU MBA (Leadership) to your CV will give you increased opportunities to move into senior management or leadership positions.
Your MBA (Leadership) will be recognised and valued by employers in Australian and international corporations, government departments at all levels, educational environments, or non-government and not-for-profit organisations. All are employers who need leaders who can respond to challenges (internal and external to the organisation) and lead responsibly, innovatively and sustainably.
This JCU MBA (Leadership) enables you to develop the insights required to critically engage as a key leader within an increasingly dynamic, diverse and dispersed world.
Among the key benefits of studying this MBA (Leadership) at JCU are:
- Learning new skills and enhancing your abilities to foster effective and ethical organisational leadership, while creating positive value in all areas of business
- Gaining real-world experience and establishing networks within relevant organisations via JCU's Work Integrated Learning program - and as a result of your Practical and Research Project
- Working with JCU's internationally-renowned staff from the College of Business, Law and Governance, who are leaders in their fields and who will share their knowledge and experience with you.
JCU’s MBA (Leadership) has a strong emphasis on leadership, modern governance and sustainable business practices. Among the study areas you'll explore are:
- People in Organisations
- Leading and Managing Organisational Change
- Leadership in Innovation and Entrepreneurship
- Value Leadership
- Cultural Leadership
- International Business
- Corporate Social Responsibility
- Accounting and Finance for Managers
- Marketing Management
- International Political Economy
- Economics for a Sustainable World
- Operations Management
- Corporate Responsibility and Governance
- Sustainable Enterprise.
Subjects consist of formative and summative assessment. Formative assessment tasks will be available on a regular basis so that you can assess your learning. Tutorials will ensure that you have opportunities to discuss and question your lecturers or tutors on the subject content in more detail.
On successful completion of the MBA (Leadership), you will be able to demonstrate abilities to:
- Critically analyse complex business-related knowledge and practice from both historical and recent perspectives
- Critically analyse leadership theories and skills required for building successful teams
- Apply responsible leadership principles to effect change
- Evaluate sustainable economic, social and environmental practices and value systems from different disciplinary perspectives
- Critically analyse complex contemporary business issues using appropriate models and make reasoned recommendations based on multidisciplinary synthesis of theory and evidence
- Present complex business analyses and information appropriately to diverse audiences
- Exercise independent ethical judgment and initiative in solving differing business problems creatively.
English language skills
If you are from a non-English speaking background you must meet the English language proficiency requirements of Band 2– Schedule II of the JCU Admissions Policy or have successfully completed an AQF 8 qualification from James Cook University within the previous two years.
- If you have successfully completed the Graduate Certificate of Business Administration you will be awarded advanced standing for the 4 entry level subjects.
- If you have extensive managerial experience you are welcome to apply to the Dean of the College of Business, Law and Governance for entry into this MBA.
Take note of the duration, cost and campus availability of your selected course. You may wish to include a second course preference.
- Register using your full legal name as it appears on your passport.
- Gather electronic copies of your documentation including advanced standing application if relevant. You will need to provide original certified copies of your documents once your application has been approved.
- Complete all the questions and upload all your documents. You can save and continue the application later if you need to.
- Submit your application.
Our campuses in Singapore and Brisbane operate on a trimester system – three semesters per year. View academic calendars.
Consult the admission requirements section in the Handbook for prerequisites and pathways into this course.
Master of Business Administration (Leadership)
MCW – Masters by Coursework (AQF Level 9)
Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
Completion of an AQF level 7 degree from James Cook University or another university; or
Other qualifications or practical experience recognised by the Dean, College of Business Law and Governance as equivalent to the above.
Minimum English language proficiency requirements
Applicants of non-English speaking backgrounds must meet the English language proficiency requirements of Band 2 – Schedule II of the JCU Admissions Policy or have successfully completed an AQF 8 qualification from James Cook University within the previous two (2) years.
Academic Requirements for Course Completion
48 credit points as per course structure
Course learning outcomes
JCU graduates are committed to lifelong learning, intellectual development, and to the display of exemplary personal, professional and ethical standards. They have a sense of their place in the tropics and are charged with professional, community, and environmental responsibility. JCU graduates appreciate the need to embrace and be acquainted with the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples of Australia. They are committed to reconciliation, diversity and sustainability. They exhibit a willingness to lead and to contribute to the intellectual, environmental, cultural, economic and social challenges of regional, national, and international communities of the tropics.
On successful completion of the Master of Business Administration (Leadership), JCU graduates will be able to:
CO5119:03 Business Law
LB5202:03 Marketing Management
LB5203:03 Sustainable Enterprise
LB5205:03 People in Organisations
LB5212:03 Accounting and Finance for Managers
LB5228:03 The Changing Business Environment
LB5229:03 Economics for a Sustainable World
LB5230:03 Managing Strategic Resources and Operations
LB5231:03 Corporate Responsibility and Governance
LB5233:03 Innovation and Entrepreneurship
LB5235:03 Applied Research Project
LB5236:03 International Political Economy
LB5240:03 Cross Cultural Leadership
LB5241:03 Organisational Leadership
LB5242:03 Value Creation Leadership
Select 3 credit points of any level 5 subjects
COURSE AVAILABLE AT
Expected time to complete
2 years full-time or equivalent part-time
Maximum time to complete
Maximum leave of absence
Course includes mandatory professional placement(s)
Maximum allowed Pass
Supplementary exam for
A student who has failed the final subject towards the award and who gained 40% or more of the marks for that subject, may be granted a supplementary examination in that subject. However, if that subject is required for accreditation, then the criteria specified by that accreditation will apply.
Students may apply for an exemption for previous tertiary study where appropriate in accordance with the Advanced Standing and Articulation policy and associated procedures.
Advanced standing will be granted for the following:
An AQF level 7 bachelor degree in a cognate discipline* in conjunction with four (4) years business experience in a managerial role** – 12 credit points;
AQF level 8 bachelor (honours) degree in a cognate discipline* – 12 credit points;
JCU Graduate Certificate in Business Administration – 12 credit points;
Graduate Diploma in a cognate discipline* - 12 credit points; or
Other qualifications or practical experience recognised by the Dean, College of Business Law and Governance as equivalent to the above – up to 12 credit points.
Note that where employment experience without qualifications, as provided for in the Admission Requirements, is used to meet entry requirements, that experience will not also be used to give advanced standing.
*Cognate disciplines: Accounting and Finance, Marketing, Management, Commerce, HRM, Economics, Tourism and Hospitality or other disciplines where students will have completed study relating to organisational behaviour, business, strategy, marketing, economics, communication and people management.
** Business experience: Applicants must have a minimum of 4 years full-time equivalent professional work experience in management, leadership or supervisory level in a business environment or be eligible for a member grade status of a relevant professional organisation. Students will have demonstrable effective management experience relating or organisational behaviour, business, strategy, marketing, economics, communication and people management. Students may apply for advanced standing for previous tertiary study in accordance with the Credit and Articulation policy and associated procedures
24 credit points
Advanced standing will be granted only for subjects completed in the 10 years prior to the commencement of this course
Advanced standing gained for any subject shall be cancelled 15 years after the date of the examination upon which the advanced standing is based if, by then, the student has not completed this course.
Advanced standing will not be granted for undergraduate studies or for work experience used to gain admission to the course when assessed separately for admission requirements.
MASTER OF BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION (LEADERSHIP)
Inclusion of majors on
Not Applicable. This course does not have majors
Exit with lesser award
Students who exit the course prior to completion, and have successfully completed the relevant number of credit points and appropriate subjects, may be eligible to receive one of the following awards:
- Graduate Certificate of Business Administration
- Graduate Diploma of Business Administration
Completion of a recognised, appropriate undergraduate degree, or equivalent prior learning including appropriate professional experience.
Applicants of non-English speaking backgrounds must meet the English language proficiency requirements of Band 2 – Schedule II of the JCU Admissions Policy.
If you meet the academic requirements for a course, but not the minimum English requirements, you will be issued a JCU degree offer conditional upon achieving the required scores in an approved English test. You can undertake an English program at JCU to improve your skills prior to sitting your English test. If you are interested in doing this please email email@example.com
Annual Tuition Fee: AUD$31,200 (Estimate only.)For more information, refer to the relevant course fee information in the 2019 International Postgraduate Guide (PDF, 8034 KB)
A Student Services and Amenities fee is payable per subject up to a maximum amount per year.
Student Visa holders must have Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the duration of their Student Visa (except Norwegian and Belgian citizens). Costs depend on the length of study and the number of dependants accompanying the student. For more information see Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC).
This website is intended as general guide. Prospective students should contact the university to confirm admission requirements and the availability of courses. James Cook University reserves the right to alter any course or admission requirement without prior notice.
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology (Honours)
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture