COVID-19 Advice for the JCU Community - Last updated: 3 December 2021, 10am (AEST)

COVID-19 Advice Information for Students COVID-19 Frequently Asked Questions: General Information for Students

Apply now

COVID-19 Frequently Asked Questions: General Information for Students

General information for students

The FNQYAF COVID-19 Community Crisis Fund provides food and medical vouchers to disadvantaged youths (up to 24 years of age) or families who are suffering financial stress as a direct result of COVID-19.

To be eligible to apply, you must reside in the Far North Queensland region, an area from Cardwell, west to the Queensland border, and north to the Torres Strait Islands. The Fund will endeavour to assist all eligible applicants. You can apply here.

If you live in on-campus accommodation please also contact your RA or residential staff.

The Queensland Government have compiled a list of emergency relief services to assist vulnerable Queenslanders with support such as food vouchers, food parcels and third-party payments.

If you have become homeless or are at risk of homelessness you can use these services:

There is also Ask Izzy - a free and anonymous webpage that assists with searching different providers for the services you need – housing, meals, healthcare, counselling, legal advice, addiction treatment, and more.

If you are feeling anxious or worried, JCU has a free, confidential counselling service to all enrolled JCU students. Book a session on the phone or via Skype.

There are a range of free services that provide helpful resources including Beyond BlueLifelineHead to Health and Headspace.

We have also collated some helpful tips here Find your calm during the COVID-19 crisis and Managing uncertainty during the COVID-19 crisis.

We know that current conditions requiring people to stay at home, or isolate, or quarantine raise important questions of safety for anyone who is subjected to, or at risk of, violence from the people they live with. JCU campus is open to any staff member or student to work or study from, where safety in the home or place of residence is an issue.  

Support services are available and are responding to the increased contacts from women at this time.  Please reach out for support. Dial 000 in an emergency, or connect with Police by phoning 131 444 or visiting the website.

Please be aware that JCU has a Domestic Violence Policy, Bullying, Discrimination, Harassment and Sexual Misconduct Policy, and online reporting options to support students with these issues regardless of whether impacted on campus, at home, or online.

You should expect to receive information through the following channels:

  • University-wide information – Office of the Provost
  • Course or subject specific information - will be provided by email or updates on LearnJCU from a member of College staff; for example, by course coordinators, subject coordinators, Head of the Academic Group or College Dean on as needed basis.

Cohort specific information will be provided as required via email from the following staff:

  • International Students: Manager, International Student Support
  • HDR Students: Dean, Graduate Research School
  • Indigenous Students: Pro Vice Chancellor (Indigenous Education and Research)
  • Non-Townsville based students: Head of Campus or location
  • Residential College students: Deputy Vice Chancellor (Services and Resources)

Our student services are still available and we are developing tools to remain in touch with students who are working remotely.

JCU Student Centre

International Student Support

Indigenous Student Support

JCU Library

IT Helpdesk

You can contact your course or subject coordinator any time you have questions about the subject or degree; however it is really important you reach out to them if you know that your personal circumstances are going to impact your ability to attend classes or placement/field trips.

Contact details for the Division of Tropical Health and Medicine colleges can be found here.
Contact details for the College of Arts, Society and Education can be found here.
Contact details  for the College of Science and Engineering can be found here.
Contact details for the College of Business, Law and Governance can be found here.

If your college contact details are not listed or you need more assistance, please contact The Student Centre.

JCU follows guidelines from the Queensland Government and other relevant authorities regarding the wearing of face masks on campus.  You must not attend campus if you are feeling unwell.

Australia's Federal Government have released a vaccine eligibility checker, which will determine when you are eligible to receive the COVID-19 vaccine in the Australian rollout.

Students required to complete clinical placements are recommended to use this tool to determine if they are eligible for the COVID-19 vaccine.

Subject Delivery Modes for Teaching Period One 2021

Subject delivery modes will vary depending on your area of study and may consist of a combination of online, on-campus and pre-recorded classes.

Students are encouraged to regularly check LearnJCU for details specifically related to their course and subjects.

When viewing your subject/s via the JCU Timetable, the room displayed for your class will indicate the delivery mode of that class, please refer to the following descriptions:

  • Online delivery: will display as LEARN-JCU under room(s) on your timetable
  • Pre-recorded delivery: will not display on your timetable, further details on subject delivery will be detailed in your subject outlines
  • On-campus delivery: will display as a building and room number under room(s) on your timetable

We have created useful resources and tips for learning online.

Students in on-campus accommodation

Yes, on-campus accommodation will remain open. We are following Government advice closely and are committed to supporting our students through this difficult time.

It is also important to note there have been no reported cases of coronavirus (COVID-19) at any of our Australian campuses or residences.

JCU has worked with the on and off-campus student accommodation providers to ensure they have suitable precautions and protocols in place should there be any concern about the health of a resident.

We know that practicing good hygiene is essential to reducing the spread of infection. Make sure you, and the people around you, follow good respiratory hygiene. This means covering your mouth and nose with your bent elbow or tissue when you cough or sneeze. Then disposing of the used tissue immediately.

You should also:

  • Avoid touching your face, including rubbing eyes
  • Avoid handshaking, hugging, air kissing, or other touching
  • Disinfect high touch surfaces regularly and keep your desk, keyboard and mouse clean and tidy
  • Don't share food or drink
  • Where possible, keep a reasonable distance away from others (1.5 metres is recommended)
  • Avoid mass gatherings wherever possible
  • Stay in your room if you become unwell, letting your accommodation support staff know.

If have any questions or concerns, please speak with your residential College staff or accommodation support staff.

Higher Degree by Research (HDR) students

For more information, please view Frequently Asked Questions for HDR Students.

Non-GPA Q&A for students

We recognise that students are impacted in a variety of ways by COVID-19 and the transition to new ways of learning and assessment, and would like to do what we can to assist.

You may feel that your academic performance in this Teaching Period will be adversely affected, and that this could impact on your subject results and Grade Point Average (GPA).

For this reason, JCU has introduced the following initiatives to minimise the impact of the disruption caused by COVID-19 on your academic transcripts and GPA.

  • All FAIL results (excepting X) will be converted to a WD (Withdrawn) and will  not count toward your GPA,
  • A Non-GPA system will be implemented for students enrolled in foundational year (level 1 and 2 coded subjects), and
  • Students in advanced level subjects (level 3 and higher-level coded subjects) will have the option to have Passing subject results converted to the Non-GPA system.

A non-GPA system is a Result Type where students are awarded final subject results of either:

  • Satisfactory (S),
  • Satisfactory after sitting a supplementary examination or supplementary assessment (SS),
  • Unsatisfactory (U), or
  • X (Fail, did not sit for examination(s), or did not complete assessment requirements worth at least 80% of the total possible marks, or deferred examination not granted)

A Satisfactory completion (S) or (SS) means that you have met the requirements of the subject, and have accrued the credit points for that subject. This allows you to progress to higher level subjects.

As a Satisfactory result (S) or (SS) is not graded, the Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory results are excluded from your overall course GPA. Click here for more information.

The Non-GPA system will be applied to all Level 1 and 2 coded subjects across all JCU courses delivered in Teaching Period 1 2020 (subjects which commenced prior to 27 July 2020).

Level 1 and Level 2 coded subjects are any subjects which have a subject code where the first numeral is a 1 or a 2, for example, YY1003 and YY2003.

The original results system will be retained in Level 3 and above coded subjects (including some that already use the Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory result). Results achieved in Level 3 and above coded subjects in Teaching Period 1 2020 will contribute to a student’s course GPA as normal.

A Satisfactory completion (S) or (SS) is a passing result and therefore you will receive credit for completion of the subject. This means the subject counts as being completed as part of your course requirements, and the credit points assigned to the subject will be included in the calculations to determine how much of your course you have completed.

Supplementary examinations and/or assessments will progress as per subject outlines. Where a supplementary examination or assessment is not usually permitted, an alternative assessment item may be considered by the Assessment Committee, such as a special exam approved by a College Dean.

Yes, a Satisfactory completion (S) or (SS) result counts as meeting the requirements of that subject.

Yes, each individual assessment task will be marked as listed in the subject outline, and in accordance with the marking criteria/rubrics provided in the subject outline.

For many assessment items this will include receiving a numerical mark or grade with a weighted contribution toward your overall subject result. Your subject may also have other assessment items that contribute a Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory outcome, for example if the assessment was a non-weighted hurdle task (0% must pass item).

These marking procedures will allow you to receive feedback which accurately reflects your performance on the assessment task against the criteria/rubrics published in the subject outline. This allows for reflection on your performance, and to plan future learning needs.

You can apply for a Teaching Period 1 2020 GPA to assist in entry or transfer to courses where this evidence is required. JCU will consider criteria for course transfers and modify a GPA requirement where possible.

A waiver will be applied to students under scholarship schemes where a particular GPA needs to be maintained; four Satisfactory results will be sufficient.

A GPA waiver has been established for merit international scholarships.

Level 3 and higher-level coded subjects are advanced subjects, completed in the final years of undergraduate courses or in postgraduate coursework awards, and the GPA achieved in these subjects may:

  • contribute to a graduate’s employment opportunities, and
  • be required for accreditation, or
  • be required for entry to postgraduate courses.

For these reasons the normal system of reporting results has been retained for these subjects.

In instances where Level 3 and above coded subjects already utilise Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory results as normal practice, these will be retained.

No, not initially. The system is implemented at a subject level basis, so the results system applies to all students enrolled in a particular subject in a specific study period in Teaching Period 1 (up to 27 July 2020).

However, after the publication of subject results:

  • Students who are seeking entry/transfer to a different course, or exit from a course, or have International Institutional requirements, and have successfully completed Level 1 and 2 coded subjects can apply for an Indicative Teaching Period 1 2020 (TP1 2020) GPA, and
  • Students enrolled in Level 3 and higher-level coded subjects can apply to have ALL passing results converted to a Satisfactory result and not have a GPA calculated for TP1 2020.

If you are transferring/applying to another course after Teaching Period 1 2020, taking an exit award or an international study abroad student you may apply for a Teaching Period 1 2020 (TP1 2020) GPA.

A TP1 2020 GPA is a calculation of an equivalent Grade Point Average (GPA) based on marks/grades awarded across all assessment tasks in subjects completed at Level 1 and 2 in Teaching Period 1, i.e. the GPA you would have earned if a GPA grading system was applied to your performance in the subject assessment.  Your TP1 2020 GPA will be provided to you in a formal Letter of Advice.

A TP1 2020 GPA does not change your earned GPA from your previous or future studies. The GPA awarded from studies prior to 2020 will be retained in academic transcripts even if a TP1 2020 GPA is approved.

If you require a Teaching Period 1 Indicative GPA because you are applying for a course, transferring to another course or leaving the University, you can apply using the TP1 GPA Letter of Advice form (available from 7 July 2020).

Students in advanced level subjects (level 3 and higher-level coded subjects) will have the option to have Passing subject results converted to the Non-GPA system.

Students who wish to change their result type in Teaching Period 1 from the normal results schema to Satisfactory (Non GPA) should complete the Request to Change Result Type for Teaching Period 1, 2020 application form (available from 7 July 2020).

This change is irreversible and must apply to ALL passed subjects in the Teaching Period.

You must first consult with your course academic advisor or course coordinator to ensure you understand and accept the full effects of this change.

Contact should be made with the subject co-ordinator via email requesting an informal review, accompanied by a Notice of Extenuating Circumstances or Special Consideration form to support your application. This process allows for an individual subject result to be reviewed. A formal review may be necessary and you can submit an application using the Review of Final Subject Result form for this.

Applications to have individual subject results in Teaching Period 1 reviewed, to convert all passing results for TP1 subject to S, or to have a TP1 2020 GPA calculated must be lodged within 10 University working days of the publication of final subject results.

Your Level 2 coded subjects will be graded as Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory and your Level 3 subjects will be graded using the normal results system for that subject. The results for the Level 2 coded subjects will not count toward your GPA. Your GPA for Teaching Period 1 will be calculated on your results for Level 3 coded subjects, unless you choose to have your passing results in the Level 3 coded subjects converted to S.  If the latter is option is taken, you will not have a GPA generated for Teaching Period 1 and your GPA from the previous teaching period will be maintained.

A Withdrawn (WD) result will replace failing results of N (Fail), U (Unsatisfactory) or WF (Withdrawn with Fail) in subjects completed after 9 April in Teaching Period 1 2020.

A Withdrawn (WD) result indicates that you have not completed the requirements of the subject, but this does not reduce your course GPA. If the subject is required for your course then you will need to repeat the subject in order to pass and have it contribute to your course.

If you have been awarded an (Fail, Incomplete) result it will remain on your academic transcript and count towards your GPA, as it shows that you have remained enrolled in the subject (did not withdraw) but attempted less than 80% of the assessment.

Fail results U (Unsatisfactory), X (Fail, Incomplete) or N (Fail) that have been applied due to proven academic misconduct will remain on your academic record.

JCU takes academic integrity very seriously and academic misconduct is unacceptable under the JCU Student Code of Conduct . There is no change to the current Student Academic Misconduct Procedure . The non-GPA results scheme implemented to support students through COVID-19 will not impact fail results of U (Unsatisfactory), X (Fail, Incomplete) or N (Fail) that are applied as a result of proven academic misconduct.  These results will stand and will appear on your academic record.  We have more information about academic misconduct on the JCU Exams and Results website .

For Teaching Period 1 under the Academic Safety Net, students in Level 1 and 2 Coded subjects can apply for a TP1 Indicative GPA – Letter of Advice (Letter of Advice), where:

  1. the student is transferring/applying to another course after the ASN   Term; or
  2. the student is taking an exit award; or
  3. Scholarship/Bursary reasons

The Letter of Advice is not a final result and the student has no right of review under the Review and Appeal of a Final Subject Result Procedure. The Letter of Advice will not lapse or expire but will be subject to JCU’s published policies on admission and credit.