Minimum English language proficiency requirement
APPLICANTS OF NON-ENGLISH SPEAKING BACKGROUND
For the Business major1
International applicants of non-English speaking background must meet the English language proficiency requirements of Band 1 – Schedule II of the JCU Admissions Policy.
For the Health major
International applicants of non-English speaking background must meet the English language proficiency requirements of Band 2 – Schedule II of the JCU Admissions Policy.
For all other majors
International applicants of non-English speaking background must meet the following English language proficiency requirements:
- An overall IELTS score of 5.5 (with no component lower than 5.0)
Domestic applicants of non-English speaking background (all majors1)
Domestic applicants of non-English speaking background who do not have English 4SA must be able to demonstrate that they have the English language proficiency required to participate effectively in the course. This can be demonstrated by having achieved one or more of the following
- 4 semesters of sound achievement or better in a senior secondary language rich subject (e.g. English Communication, History, Legal Studies, Business and Communication)
- successfully completed a university preparation course
- a satisfactory result in assessment of academic readiness2
- a minimum of 0.25FTE at tertiary level with a passing GPA
- STAT Test–score of 157 or better overall or 152 or better in the verbal sub-score
- other achievement deemed equivalent by the Dean, Learning, Teaching and Student Engagement.
1the Business major has a course pre-requisite of English 4SA
2a new JCU tool which combines a personal competency assessment and an academic skills assessment
APPLICANTS OF ENGLISH SPEAKING BACKGROUND
Students of English speaking background are assumed to be proficient in the English language and are therefore not required to demonstrate English language proficiency.