Terrestrial Permits

Protected Area Permits

You will need a permit to take, use, keep or interfere with cultural or natural resources including flora, fauna, soil and water within:

  • the protected area estate (except nature refuges) and/or
  • marine park and/or
  • State forest estate, and/or
  • recreation areas management estate.

Please submit a completed application (DOCX, 201KB) to  Parkaccess@des.qld.gov.au. Assessment of permits can take up to 40 business days. For more information, see https://www.qld.gov.au/environment/parks/permits/science-education

Non-protected Area Permits

You will need to obtain a Scientific Purposes Permit or an Educational Purposes Permit from the Department of Environment and Science for research/educational activities involving the taking/use/keeping of protected animals:

  • on private land, public purposes reserves, and other estate that operates outside of protected areas (except nature refuges)
  • outside of marine parks
  • outside of State forest estate, and
  • outside of recreation areas management estate

Please complete the following permit application form (DOC, 304KB) and email to PALM@des.qld.gov.au.

This permit application is also available online. You can register through www.des.qld.gov.au/connect. JCU has a customer account that you can connect to (Customer Reference number: 533094)

Please contact Permit and Licence Management, under the Department of Environment and Science, if you require further information.

Permit and Licence Management
Ph: 1300 130 372; email: palm@des.qld.gov.au