You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- Open Day
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
Conferences - Sn-W June 2019
- People @ EGRU
- Research Staff
- PhD Projects
EGRU About EGRU
The Economic Geology Research Centre (EGRU) has a long and distinguished history in the provision of high quality and industry-oriented research and training in economic geology. Since 1982 EGRU has offered applied research services, professional development training, and information resources to the exploration and mining industries, and has nurtured collaborative and productive working relationships between industry, researchers and students. During that time the Centre has built strong connections with industry and governments in Queensland, in Australia, and internationally. Today it continues to fulfil its principal function of facilitating knowledge transfer in the field of economic geology between public sector researchers, industry professionals and companies.
EGRU is located within the JCU College of Science and Engineering. The Centre is managed by a Director and overseen by an Advisory Board that consists of representatives from its member companies and from JCU academic staff. Management and administration is largely funded through membership subscriptions.
The Information Network
This is a dynamic network which aims to connect academia, industry and government and facilitate the dissemination of new data and ideas. Information resources include:
- The EGRU Newsletter (published twice a year)
- EGRU symposia and conferences
- Seminars by visiting researchers and industry geologists
- Seminars by EGRU research staff and students
- EGRU Publications
- Reference Searches (on request)
- The Earth Science Honours, Masters and Doctoral Thesis Collection
The Resource Centre
EGRU can offer its members access to, or assistance with, a range of research and analytical resources, including:
- Regional Geological Maps
- Computing Facilities
- Microscopes: petrological microscopes, photo-microscope.
- Isotopic and Geochemical Analytical Services (AGIS brochure)
Professional Development, Conferences, Workshops
- Training courses for industry
- Regular international conferences
- On site workshops in Cloncurry, biennially
- Other training on request
- Honours in Earth Science Degree
- Doctorates and Masters by Research Degrees
Collaborative and Contract Research
The quality of EGRU research is internationally recognised and the Centre benefits from the skills of a team of committed and world renowned researchers. Much of the research is carried out in collaboration with industry, and this collaboration fosters the rapid and effective application of the latest research to the exploration and development of mineral resources.
EGRU also offers contract research services and skills in areas such as petrography, geochemistry, and structural analysis.