Research Projects & Services
Current Research Projects
The quality of EGRU research is internationally recognised and the Centre benefits from the skills of a team of committed and talented researchers. Much of the research is carried out in collaboration with industry, and this collaboration fosters the rapid and effective application of the latest research to the exploration and development of mineral resources.
EGRU is seeking collaboration with our industry partners and colleagues as a means of providing suitable research projects for students at Honours level. Projects are now being sought for 2021 and onward. If you are interested in collaborating with EGRU and JCU, please complete the Student-Projects:Industry-Enquiry-Form and we will be in contact with you.
Advanced Geochemical & Isotopic Services (AGIS)
A comprehensive service from sample preparation to reporting.
Our services include, but are not limited to:
- High Quality CL Imaging
- Major and Trace Elements Analyses
- Mineral Separation and Characterization
- In-situ U-Pb Dating (Zircon, Titanite, Monazite, Rutile, Apatite…)
- Other Isotope Analyses, Such as Lu-Hf, Sm-Nd, Rb-Sr
Fast and reliable services are possible with access to multi-million dollar facilities, including the Mineral Separation Laboratory and the Advanced Analytical Centre, which are significant and unique elements of JCU’s research infrastructure. Our services are also been backed by the researchers within the Department of Geosciences, including Economic Geology Research Centre.
In addition to Struers branded Axitom-5 cut-off machine, Accutom-50 high precision saw, CitoVac mounting equipment, RotoPol-35 and TegraPol-21 polishers, the Mineral Separation Laboratory also houses Rocklabs and Retsch crushing and milling equipment, Holman 800 Wilfley table, Frantz magnetic separator, and Heavy Liquid separation systems.
Our Advanced Analytical Centre is equipped with a Class 350 Clean Laboratory, JOEL JXA8200 Electron Probe Microanalyser, HITACHI SU5000 Field Emission Scanning Electron Microscopy (+ panchromatic CL & Oxford EDS detectors), Raman Microspectrometry WITec Alpha 300, Teledyne Cetac Analyte G2 193 nm laser ablation system, Thermo iCAP-RQ and iCAP-TQ ICP-MS, and Finnegan Neptune Multicollector ICP-MS etc.
For further Information:
- Complete an Online Enquiry
- Dr Huiqing (Jeffrey) Huang (laboratory specialist)
- Phone: 07 4781 4691
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Publicly Available Databases & Research Reports
Geochemical, Isotopic and Geochronological Database
The objective of this project was to compile a geochemical, isotopic and geochronological database from JCU theses submitted over the last 30 years where the specific region of research was within QLD. The thesis data is defined into data groups of whole rock, rock chip, drill holes, auger, beach sediment, channel sample, drainage sediment, electron microprobe, heavy mineral, mineral, soil stream sediments, termite mound, vegetation, and water sample. Each data group contains references to the thesis author, region and sample number. Other references include, but are not limited to, drill hole depth, data type, mine or prospect, current tenure, QDEX report number, lithology, geochemistry.
Characterising and Assessing Propectivity of Intrusion-Related Hydrothermal Systems of North-East Queensland
A 4-year collaborative research project (2014-2017) between JCU and DNRME (GSQ) to investigate the hydrothermal systems of north-east Queensland.
The JCU Reports on this project are now available for download from QDEX.
Productivity Reports and other data will be available in the future.
Project Researchers JCU:
- Assoc. Prof. Zhaoshan Chang
- Prof. Paul Dirks
- Em. Prof. Bob Henderson
- Assoc. Prof. Carl Spandler
- Dr Jan Marten Huizenga
- Dr Yanbo Cheng
- Dr Arianne Ford
- Dr Isaac Corral
- Dr Gavin Clarke
As part of the project the following post-graduate theses were produced:
- Poblete, J, PhD, 2019. Geological Characteristics and Origin of Watershed W Deposit, North Queensland, Australia.
- Sahlström, F, PhD, 2018. Mt Carlton High-sulfidation epithermal deposit, Queensland Australia: Geological Character genesis and implications for exploration.
- Behnsen, H, MSc, 2018. Magma Fertility Related to Au-Cu Mineralisation in North Queensland, Australia - Evaluating the Potential for Linked Porphyry Cu±Au (±Mo) Deposits at Depths.
- Fenwick-Ross, O, B.Geol, Hons, 2016. Geological Characteristics and Genesis of the Mt Glenroy Gold Prospect.
- Spence, J, B.Geol, Hons, 2017. Geological Characteristics of the Nightflower Polymetallic Deposit, Chillagoe Region, Queensland, Australia.