You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- Open Day
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
JCU Events Dentistry CPD Series: Managing the Needs of Clients Requiring Special Care in Dentistry
Dentistry CPD Series: Managing the Needs of Clients Requiring Special Care in Dentistry
Where: At James Cook University
Room 134.010, Building 134 - Education Central, Townsville Campus
With advances in the treatment of chronic diseases and cancer, coupled with the changing demography of Australia’s ageing population, providing safe dentistry is becoming more and more challenging. A plethora of new medications, the rise of Medication Related Osteonecrosis of the Jaw (MRONJ) and a move from Warfarin to Direct-acting Oral Anti-Coagulants (DOACs), has left Australian Dental Practitioners to manage patients with complex co-morbidities without the aid of robust, up-to-date national guidelines.
This 4-hour group of lectures will address the following Learning Objectives
- Capacity and ensuring informed consent.
- Managing the needs of those with Disabilities.
- A systematic approach to the safe management of those prescribed anticoagulant and antiplatelet therapies.
- BRONJ, ARONJ, DRONJ, MRONJ, what we know and what are the strategies to manage this risk.
- Cancer therapies – managing the short, medium and long-term oral consequences of cancer therapy.
CPD Points: 4
Cost: $100 + GST