Discover open savannah woodland, dry rainforest, lava flows and marine fossil beds on field trips.
Our typical herd consists of 600 high-grade Brahman cattle: 300 breeder-aged females and 300 yearlings.
With temperatures near 30℃ and 600mm of rain a year, Fletcherview has a dry season of 6 to 9 months.
Our 1960-hectare working cattle station is home to 600 head of cattle as well as a great diversity of land types, fauna and flora.
- Fully operational outback cattle station
- Located in the dry tropics, close to Townsville
- Open savannah woodland, dry rainforest, lava flows and marine fossil beds
- Three major creek systems and 2.5 kilometres of frontage to the Burdekin River
- Hundreds of species of plants, birds, fish, insects and mammals common to the area
Our current research projects include a range of cattle reproduction and fertility trials, as well as pasture trials. We work closely with James Cook University’s Australian Institute of Tropical Veterinary and Animal Science to develop technology-based solutions for the challenges associated with grazing in the dry tropics.
- Animal production
- Animal nutrition
- Pasture monitoring
- New grazing pasture types
We cater for school groups, university classes and collaborating research institutions.
- Field trips for primary and secondary students
- Field trips to explore the large ecological diversity of the station’s flora and fauna
- Practical hands-on experience for agriculture and veterinary students
- Study the basalt from the “Toomba” lava flows of 100 000 to 13 000 years ago
- Study the substantial marine fossil beds
We offer state-of-the-art animal handling facilities for research and teaching, prioritising human and animal safety. Onsite accommodation is available to sleep up to 12 people.
- Comfortable self-contained onsite accommodation
- Wi-Fi connection and 3G mobile service over 90% of the station
- Industry-standard livestock handling facilities for weighing, scanning and collecting samples
- Smaller paddocks availabile for intensive animal or pasture trials
Location & Contact
- Call us on 07 4787 2839 If calling internationally, dial +61747872839
Fletcherview Research Station
Basalt, QLD 4280, Australia
From Townsville, drive to Charters Towers. Turn north onto Gregory Development Road (Route 63/Lynd Highway). Drive 26 kilometres. Fletcherview's entrance is on your left.