Discover open savannah woodland, dry rainforest, lava flows and marine fossil beds on field trips.
Our typical herd consists of 600 high-grade Brahman cattle: 300 breeder-aged females and 300 yearlings.
With temperatures near 30℃ and 600mm of rain a year, Fletcherview has a dry season of 6 to 9 months.
Our 1960-hectare working cattle station is home to 600 head of cattle as well as a great diversity of land types, fauna and flora.
- Fully operational outback cattle station
- Located in the dry tropics, close to Townsville
- Open savannah woodland, dry rainforest, lava flows and marine fossil beds
- Three major creek systems and 2.5 kilometres of frontage to the Burdekin River
- Hundreds of species of plants, birds, fish, insects and mammals common to the area
Our current research projects include a range of cattle reproduction and fertility trials, as well as pasture trials. We work closely with James Cook University’s Australian Institute of Tropical Veterinary and Animal Science to develop technology-based solutions for the challenges associated with grazing in the dry tropics.
- Animal production
- Animal nutrition
- Pasture monitoring
- New grazing pasture types
We cater for school groups, university classes and collaborating research institutions.
- Field trips for primary and secondary students
- Field trips to explore the large ecological diversity of the station’s flora and fauna
- Practical hands-on experience for agriculture and veterinary students
- Study the basalt from the “Toomba” lava flows of 100 000 to 13 000 years ago
- Study the substantial marine fossil beds
We offer state-of-the-art animal handling facilities for research and teaching, prioritising human and animal safety. Onsite accommodation is available to sleep up to 12 people.
- Comfortable self-contained onsite accommodation
- Wi-Fi connection and 3G mobile service over 90% of the station
- Industry-standard livestock handling facilities for weighing, scanning and collecting samples
- Smaller paddocks availabile for intensive animal or pasture trials
- Call us on 07 4787 2839 If calling internationally, dial +61747872839
- UHF channel 10
Fletcherview Research Station
Gregory Developmental Road (Lynd Highway)
Basalt, QLD 4280
From Townsville, drive into Charters Towers and turn north onto Gregory Development Road (State Route 63), also known as the Lynd Highway. Drive 26 kilometres and Fletcherview's entrance is on your left.