You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- Open Day
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
JCU Academic Encouragement Awards
JCU is committed to building tertiary aspirations for young people who may not have considered university study as an option, or who may need support to get there. Through our Outreach and Participation Program, JCU offers Academic Encouragement Awards for students in Year 10 who are currently studying at school in North or Far North Queensland.
Academic Encouragement Awards recognise students’ academic progress and achievements to encourage further academic success, build confidence, and to support student transition into senior schooling. Two awards will be made available to Year 10 students in each school.
Each Year 10 Academic Encouragement Award includes:
- An award certificate
- A JCU representative may be available to present the award at the school on request.
Nominations for 2018 have now closed.
How to nominate a student
Up to two Year 10 Awards are available per school.
To be eligible for an Academic Encouragement Award, students must be:
- An Australian resident or humanitarian visa holder
- A current student at your school in Year 10
- A member of our target group
JCU recognises the disadvantage students may face in building their study aspirations, and aims to assist:
- Australian Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander students
- Low socio-economic status (LSES) students
- Students from regional and remote areas
- Students from a non-English speaking background (NESB)
- Students with disability
We encourage you to nominate students who may:
- Have experienced disadvantage, yet shown the capacity and ability in their studies and behaviour to consider tertiary education
- Be first in family to consider a tertiary education
- Need encouragement to build confidence in their own capacity to aspire to or participate in tertiary education
- Demonstrate distance travelled in their academic achievement despite difficult circumstances
Award prize payments
Moneys payable to your school shall be paid in a single instalment after notification by the Outreach and Participation Program of successful applicants.
For awards offered in 2018, you will be required to provide an invoice for the specified amount to email@example.com before Friday, 30 November 2018.
Schools not previously involved in the awards program will also need to complete an Australian Creditors Form (PDF, 1558 KB) to facilitate invoice processing.
For further information and enquiries, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org