Am I Eligible?

Am I Eligible?

To be eligible to take part in the Exchange program you need:

  • to be currently enrolled in an undergraduate full degree program
  • a minimum GPA of 4.5
  • to have successfully completed at least one year of full-time study (24 credit points at JCU) by the time you depart for your exchange (the requirement for postgraduate coursework students is 12 credit points)
  • approval from your Faculty Registrar

For students wishing to apply for exchange to the USA:

  • You will need to show evidence that you have access to between A$8,000-10,000 per semester of overseas exchange at the time of application. This is a requirement of all institutions in the USA and you will not be issued with your visa documentation without this guarantee.

You also need to consider the following things:

  • You need to check that it is academically possible for you to complete a semester abroad
  • You must study at one of our exchange partner universities. Have a look at the current exchange partners
  • Make sure that the subjects you are interested in are offered during the semester you intend to spend overseas
  • You need a current passport valid for at least six months after your return
  • Students currently studying part-time who are accepted for exchange must undertake full-time study while abroad.

Please note that whilst you will be credited with the appropriate credit points for the subjects that you study on exchange, the grades that you receive overseas will not be transferred. You will, however, receive a copy of your academic transcript from your host university which will list the grades for your studies overseas.

I am an international student, can I go on exchange?

Yes! International students are welcome take part in the exchange program. However, you must meet Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) requirements for international students going on exchange. It is your responsibility to comply with the immigration process on your departure and return to Australia. You must report to DIAC before leaving Australia for your exchange program. The Global Mobility Office will provide you with a letter to present to DIAC explaining your exchange program.

I am studying part-time at JCU, can I go on exchange?

Yes, part-time students can take part in exchange but must undertake full-time study whilst abroad.

I am studying externally at JCU, can I go on exchange?

Yes, students studying externally are eligible for participation in the exchange program.

When Should I Go?

Decide when you think a semester abroad would fit into your degree structure and personal plans. For most students the best time to go on exchange is in your second year; however this may vary depending on your degree. You should aim to have at least one subject (3 credit points) to complete at JCU when you return from overseas if you are going to take out the OS-HELP loan.

Most students go on exchange for one semester, but in some cases there is the possibility to go for two semesters.

Some of our exchange partners also offer short courses which run for less than a semester. These typically take place during the northern hemisphere summer holidays which corresponds with our long winter break in mid-year. Some partners also offer short courses during winter, which correspond with our long summer break over Christmas. Contact the Global Mobility Office for more information if you are interested in a short course and you can also find further information here.

What Can I Study?

While studying abroad you must take subjects that will be credited to your JCU degree. To be granted credit towards subjects that you would have studied at JCU, you must select equivalent subjects at the host institution and also complete and submit the Credit Transfer Form to the Global Mobility Office.

It is very important that you discuss your proposed overseas exchange with your School to find out if they support your decision as they must approve your subject selection in the end. If you are planning to undertake subjects covering two Schools, you need to have approval from both.

Some things to discuss with them are:

  • Find out if you can study 'elective' and/or 'core' subjects while on exchange
  • Which would be the best semester for you to study overseas?
  • Make sure you will receive credits for the subjects studies overseas (Credit Transfer Form)
  • Are there any specific subjects they can recommend you study while overseas?
  • Will you have the required pre-requisites for certain subjects you might want to undertake upon your return to JCU?