New Colombo Plan
The New Colombo Plan (NCP) is an Australian Government initiative provides opportunities for Australian undergraduate students, between 18 and 28 years of age (inclusive), to undertake study, participate in Internship/Mentorship opportunities and receive language training in an eligible Host Location in the Indo-Pacific region.
The Program encourages students to participate in community engagement and advocacy in relation to the New Colombo Plan. The maximum duration of a Scholarship Program is 17 months. All program components must be completed within this time period.
Applying JCU students can submit the application form (DOCX, 68 KB) with supporting documentation to the Global Mobility Office at email@example.com by no later than 3 July 2017. (Government program deadline)
JCU will then nominate 10 applicants for the an Australia-wide shortlist and interview process conducted by the Australian Government.
Applicants will be notified of the outcome of their application in November 2017. Successful Scholars leave for their Scholarship Programs between 1 January and 31 December 2018.
The Scholarship provides the following benefits:
- Travel allowance up of $2,500
- Establishment allowance up to $2,500
- Monthly stipend up to $2,500 per month
- Support for language training up to $1000
- Health and travel insurance for the duration of their overseas Scholarship Program
- A dedicated case manager for the duration of their Scholarship Program who provides services including pre-departure briefings, advice on health and travel insurance, advice and assistance relating to accommodation, and payment of allowances.
To be eligible to apply you must be an Australian citizen, have a strong GPA, be in at least your second year of undergraduate studies when the scholarship commences, and aged between 18 and 28.
For scholarship criteria refer to the Guidelines for eligibility requirements (PDF, 207 KB).
Scholarship Programs can be conducted in the following 38 eligible Indo-Pacific Host Locations:
- Brunei Darussalam
- Cook Islands
- Federated States of Micronesia
- Hong Kong SAR
- Marshall Islands
- Nepal Niue
- Papua New Guinea
- Republic of Korea
- Solomon Islands
- Sri Lanka
The coordination of James Cook University's applications for the NCP is managed by JCU's Global Mobility Office all enquiries should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For additional information about the New Colombo Plan scholarships, refer to: