You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Advanced Analytical Centre
- Association of Australian University Secretaries
- Australian Quantum & Classical Transport Physics Group
- Careers and Employability
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- JCU Halls of Residence
- Language and Culture Research Centre
- Marine Geophysics Laboratory
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- Planning and Performance
- Professional Experience Placement
- Rapid Assessment Unit
- JCU Connect
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Tropical Sustainable Design Case Studies
- VAVS Home
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
Experience Singapore Program
JCU makes it easy for students to study part of their degree at its campuses in Australia and Singapore. You continue to pay your tuition fee to your home campus while on the program, and receive credit towards your degree for subjects successfully completed while at the overseas campus.
How it works
Students based at JCU Townsville and JCU Cairns can spend one or two teaching periods (trimesters) at JCU Singapore, with College approval. Students based at JCU Singapore can spend one or two teaching periods (semesters) at JCU Townsville or JCU Cairns, with College approval.
Inter-campus mobility is available for a maximum of two semesters / trimesters. The program is open to both domestic and international students enrolled at JCU.
To be eligible for the Experience Singapore program students must:
- Have successfully completed 12 credit points at their home campus at the time of application
- Have an academic standing of Good Standing at the time of application
- Not owe any fees, fines or other moneys to JCU at the time of application
- Have a study plan for study at the overseas campus approved by the College, and
- Maintain their academic and financial status until the overseas study commences.
A student who applies for inter-campus mobility and whose academic status ceases to be Good Standing, or who becomes a debtor, before departing for overseas study, will not be permitted to participate in inter-campus mobility until the student's academic status returns to Good Standing.
Enrolment and fees
Students on inter-campus mobility will remain enrolled at their home campus and will continue to pay all fees and charges to their home campus while studying at the overseas campus.
Students from JCU Singapore are not required to pay the Student Services and Amenities (SSA) Fee.
Students from JCU Australia studying at JCU Singapore are not required to pay an International Student Registration Fee.
Inter-campus mobility provides for temporary study at an overseas campus. Students who wish to permanently move campuses will be required to complete the Campus Transfer Application Form.
Transferral to another campus permanently after a period of inter-campus mobility may incur a Transfer Fee. A Transfer Fee is payable if the fees paid at the home campus for the period of inter-campus mobility were less than the fees that were payable for the same period at the overseas campus.
The academic year at JCU Singapore is divided into three trimesters, including Orientation Week:
- Study Period 51 – commencing March
- Study Period 52 – commencing July
- Study Period 53 – commencing November
(Actual commencement dates will vary from year to year.)
The preferred program for students from JCU Townsville and JCU Cairns to participate in inter-campus mobility at JCU Singapore is to complete Teaching Period (Semester) 2 in Australia and commence the following Study Period 51 in Singapore.
Other timing options may be considered on a case by case basis.
You must complete the Inter-campus Mobility Application Form (PDF, 152 KB) electronically and submit it, together with your proposed study plan, to your College representative at the Student Centre. The College will ensure that your study plan will allow you to complete your degree within your required timeframe. Only students with an approved study plan will be permitted to study overseas.
To prepare your proposed study plan:
- Select units to study:
- Use Studyfinder to select the subjects you want to study at the campus you are applying for.
- Make sure the subjects are offered at the correct campus and are available in the teaching period (semester) you plan to go.
- Enter your draft study plan on the application form:
- You must undertake a full-time load of on-campus subjects only.
- You should select 2-4 spare subjects in case your College does not approve all your choices, or in case there are timetable clashes or if subjects are cancelled after you arrive overseas.
Make sure you complete all sections of the application form electronically and attach a photocopy of your current passport that you intend to use for travelling. Your passport must be current for at least six months after the end of your inter-campus mobility program.
The application form is to be submitted to the Student Centre on your campus via email to email@example.com.
The College will contact you to discuss your study plan.
If your study plan is approved, you will be asked to sign a Student Contract and complete the required visa documentation for Singapore.
Contract and Visa
Completed applications, including any attachments, must be submitted to your College.
International students wishing to study at JCU Singapore are required by law to enter into a Student Contract with their education provider – even if you are already a JCU student. To study in Singapore students must also obtain a Student Pass.
You will receive a Student Contract to sign and the Student Pass application documents once your application is approved. JCU Singapore staff will assist you with the Student Pass process.
Find more on JCU Singapore enrolment procedures.
Student Pass conditions
Students on a Student Pass must comply with the following conditions:
- Attend the campus 5 days per week for a minimum of 3 hours per day
- Not undertake any form of paid employment while in Singapore
- Obey the laws of Singapore
All students are required to undergo a medical check prior to receiving a Student Pass.
Overseas Higher Education Loan Program (OS-HELP) Loans
OS-HELP is a federal government loan scheme to assist eligible undergraduate students to undertake some of their course of study overseas. For 2017, the maximum loan amount is $7,880 per semester abroad for eligible students studying in an Asian country. Note: that this is a loan and any fees will be added to your HELP debt. Read more about OS-HELP loan.
If you are currently receiving financial assistance from Centrelink, you may be eligible to continue receiving Centrelink payments whilst participating in the Experience Singapore Program. The Global Mobility Office will write you a letter which states that you will be a full-time enrolled student whilst on exchange which you take to a Centrelink office to ensure continued payment.
Singapore is a vibrant, cosmopolitan country offering a diverse array of cultural experiences. State of the art facilities make Singapore a highly accessible destination.
Students at JCU Singapore have a wide range of accommodation options: off-campus hostels, private or shared rental accommodation, and serviced apartments. JCU Singapore has an accommodation assistance office that can help source appropriate accommodation for you.
Find more information on accommodation.
The living cost in Singapore is estimated to be S$10,200-23,400 per year.
Australian students wishing to study at JCU Singapore will be covered under the JCU Business Travel Insurance for up to 270 days.
In addition, students studying at JCU Singapore will be required as a condition of obtaining their student pass to take out health insurance to cover their time in Singapore. Students must purchase this insurance at JCU Singapore at a cost of S$60 per trimester.
Prepare for your arrival in Singapore, visit the JCU Singapore arrival website.
In addition, JCU Singapore conducts pre-departure video conferences to ensure all students are well prepared for arrival in Singapore.
Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
Education Central, Building 134
Phone +61 (0)7 4781 6880
Global Mobility Office
Global Lounge, Building 8
Phone +61 (0)7 4781 4108JCU Cairns
Student Centre Reception, Building A1
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture