Frequently Asked Questions

Here you will find answers to the most commonly asked questions relating to exchange.


You will receive credit towards you degree if you pass your approved overseas subjects and stay enrolled in your College approved program of study.

Degree length

Exchange will not extend your degree if you complete the exchange program and pass college approved subjects

Exchange will extend your degree if you:

  • do not complete exchange;
  • do not stay within your approved study program; or
  • fail approved overseas subject(s).

Tuition fees

While on exchange you will pay your fees for a full-time load at JCU. You do not pay any tuition fees to your host university. Australian students will use HECS as usual.


You may be eligible for Financial Assistance.


Start planning as soon as possible to give you the most time to prepare financially and to select your subjects at JCU to leave as many electives as possible for an overseas program.

Choosing a university

Partner University

Choosing a host university is a personal decision and depends on your current course and what you wish to gain from the experience. Some things to consider when making the decision about where to go include:

  • Country: What part of the world interests you?
  • Language: Do you want to be in an English or non-English speaking country? Many partners in non-English speaking countries offer subjects taught in English.
  • Community: Do you want to experience a big city, or would you prefer to live in a small town? Or does the idea of a university town interest you?
    Costs: What is the cost of living? Does it fit with your budget?
  • Lifestyle: Do you want to live on- or off-campus? Would you prefer to experience a white winter, or stay somewhere in the tropics? What sporting and cultural activities do you want to experience?

Not a partner university

If you want to study at an overseas university that is nor a partner, you will need to make all your own arrangements, including paying all tuition fees required by the host university.

You will need to take a leave of absence from your JCU degree and enrol directly into your chosen overseas institution and you will not be officially considered a JCU student whilst overseas.

Ensure that you arrange prior approval from your college, in writing, to transfer credit gained at the host institution towards your JCU degree.


Students must have a GPA of 4.5 or above and have 24 credit points at JCU before going on exchange.


Exchange is possible for postgraduate coursework students, depending on the degree requirements and availability at chose partner university. Please contact the Global Experience office for options.


International students are welcome take part in the exchange program. However, they cannot go on exchange to their home country.


Yes. Part-time students can take part in exchange but must undertake full-time study whilst abroad.


You do not have to speak another language to go on exchange.

Most of our partners offer subjects taught in English and the opportunity to learn a new language or improve your language skills.

Exchange length

Minimum exchange is one, maximum is two semesters (full academic year).

If you cannot go for this long, some of our exchange partners also offer short study programs which run for less than a semester.


You cannot apply directly to the host university. You must apply through the JCU Global Experience Office. Make an appointment for advice, information and the procedures. The earlier you can start the process the better. For further details see How to Apply.


Contact the Global Experience Office for specific details on your host university.


More information on insurance.


Exchange students typically live in on-campus accommodation or other student lodges or hostels. While it is not usually guaranteed, most host universities do try to make sure that exchange students obtain a place in campus accommodation.